It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Nanook had a rough couple of days :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Nanook had a rough couple of days  :( Empty
PostSubject: Nanook had a rough couple of days :(   Nanook had a rough couple of days  :( EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I left Wednesday morning out of town for work and just got home today. Apparently Nanook didn't do too well. He refused all food (and treats), barely drank any water, didn't want to leave his crate, and growled/showed teeth to hubby every time he tried to take him out for a walk. (luckily he didn't growl at my daughter!) Then as soon as I got home he was all tail wagging, ate a whole bowl of food, drank a bunch of water, asked to go out, etc. I have to go out of town for a few days again next week for work, and I just don't know what to do. This is not an optional trip. oh - and he is still growling at hubby.
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Nanook had a rough couple of days :(   Nanook had a rough couple of days  :( EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I would say her probably missed you, maybe some separation anxiety. Is Nanook mostly attached to you ? Do you normally feed, walk him etc.... ? I dont what the answer is really. He is such a beautiful looking boy. Its very hard because they get so attached and when you go away its like someone has the left the pack. Maybe there are trust issues ?

From my experience years ago with laska, my parents went a way on a holiday for 3 half weeks. This holiday was planned well in advance unfortunately. Laska's best mate had passed away due to cancer only a few days prior. My parents couldnt cancel the trip. Laska was 9 at the time. I was the only one around for her. Not only that but she had to go in for an op to remove a small tumour in her neck the next day after my parents left.

When I picked her up took her home for almost one week she refused to eat, go for walks. She did drink water though. I could tell she was deeply sad and ofcourse I guess the trauma of the operation parents disappearing and her best freind going was alot for her to deal with. My biggest concern was she wasnt eating, and she was going to get sick. I tried treats everything I could think of. After 5 days not eating I took her back to the vet for a check up , she had lost weight and she was always small girl. The vet recommended I try different foods, cheese fish and be there for her give her lots of attention . Luckily for me on the 8th day she started eating again small amounts. I gave her tuna satchels (human food) that increased her strenght, I cooked her chicken breast boiled meat a little at a time , cheese. It took a long time for her to start getting back to normal. . I dont know why he is still growling at your husband. When my parents came home she was happy to see them and was getting starting to back to her old self. Laska after this experience became very attached to me more than ever.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Nanook had a rough couple of days :(   Nanook had a rough couple of days  :( EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes, he has designated me as his person. We both feed and walk him. Hubby said that the whole time I was gone he just laid around. He wasn't whining or anything - just wouldn't do anything. Whenever hubby tried to coax him out of his crate or try to give him a treat to coax him to eat he would growl and show teeth. As soon as I got home he was all tail-wagging and immediately scarfed down his food and water and is acting normal except that he continues to growl and show teeth to hubby whenever hubby approaches him.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Nanook had a rough couple of days :(   Nanook had a rough couple of days  :( EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 am

Maybe for the next week til you leave let hubby do all the work with him? So he knows that you aren't the only one that takes care of him? I'm not really sure what else to do...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nanook had a rough couple of days :(   Nanook had a rough couple of days  :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Nanook had a rough couple of days :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1