It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
serendipity3043
Newborn
Newborn
serendipity3043

Female Join date : 2012-07-09

Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... Empty
PostSubject: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm usually very careful with food around Meika. Last night, however, she won. I made a burrito casserole and after dinner there was about 1/2 left. I put the lid on my casserole dish and pushed it as far back as it would go on my stovetop. I wanted it to cool down before I put it into the fridge so I left it there while I went to bathe my daughters.

When I came back a bit later I noticed that Meika had somehow pulled it to the front of the stove, taken the lid off, and eaten the entire contents. I have no clue how she managed to get the lid off or not pull the entire glass dish onto the floor. She's got mad counter surfing skills, that's for sure! But, we all paid for it dearly.
Around 4am she whined to go out (which is odd for her), so my husband got up to take her. As soon as he opened her crate she bolted out and ran around the living room. She stopped and peed right on the carpet. She hasn't done that in months. When they came back in he realized that she had pooped in her crate. (She's NEVER done that.) On her trek around the living room she tracked it all over my carpet. No

So we spent the next hour cleaning the crate and carpet. We left our bedroom door open so that we could hear her even moving around in her crate. When we woke up this morning she had pooped again. pale

My questions are this:

1. How long should we wait to feed her? I took her out a bit ago and she still has really runny poop. She's still going but it's not a lot. I'm afraid if I feed her it will just upset her tummy more. She has been skipping her breakfast most days anyway so I'm sure she's fine without. I'm just curious when I should give her food. Anyone know how long it takes for something like this to run it's course?

2. Please tell me that she isn't going to make pooping in her crate a habit now... She's done it twice and these are the only times she's ever done something like that. In fact, she has only even peed in her crate once and that was when she was a very small pup.

FYI: I don't know if the official "lingo" here is to use the word, "poop." But, I have a 3 and 4 year old so it's in my regular vocab. Wink
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Ginger ate something that didn't agree with her about a month or so ago. One morning, she seemed uninterested in her food or dental bone (which she usually excited for!), so I thought she was starting to get bored since it's been about 2 years of the same food routine. I then learned that she had soft stools out back so I figured she ate something or she wasn't feeling well. I still fed her and let her eat what she wanted and she eventually corrected herself within 48 hours. However, if by the end of the second day she was still not eating normally and still had soft stools, I was going to take her to the vet to make sure there wasn't anything else going on internally.

I don't she will make pooping her crate a habit once she get through this.

Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 pm

I doubt it will be a habit either, she probably just could not hold it and had to go! I would not be surprised after eating a burrito casserole!

I would keep her off her food for at least 24-48 hours. Put her on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken, and put in a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to firm up her poo.

Also, you can give her some pepto bismal to soothe her stomach.

I feel for you though! Nikko ate something one time and was going downstairs and he could not hold it and pooped all over the carpeted stairs. It even shot on the walls. Probably the worse thing that has happened!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Just be careful about rice when doing a bland diet. Some huskies do not tolerate grains/rice very well. But if you know your pups is OK with rice, then no worries there. I had to put Ginger on a bland diet and we did rice and she didn't poop for 3 days and on the 3rd day, she threw up all the rice she ate.

If you do have to put your pup on a bland diet, most huskies will do well on canned green beans (rinse well if you are not using no salt ones), green peas, or even par boiled carrots.

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

I personally wouldn't give her any food, only water until it's cleared out of her system. I think she'll be fine once it's all out of her.

I highly doubt she would make pooping in her crate a habit, just make sure to let her out more frequently while the burrito is making it's way through her. When she starts acting normal again, I would start on her regular diet. If you feel that is too harsh, you could always give the boiled chicken breast and white rice bland diet for a couple days.

Also, I learned the hard way about leaving thing's on the stove/counter while the dog was in the room.

Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... 418144_396347687049287_1853321218_n

A helpful tip is to either :

A) Put the food in the microwave to cool

B) Leave the food in the oven to cool

C) Place towels down on the refrigerator glass and put the hot food plate on the towels Smile

While I was having counter surfing problems with my pup, another member suggested putting a can of pennies on the counter and the sound should be enough to scare them from doing it.
Back to top Go down
serendipity3043
Newborn
Newborn
serendipity3043

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Hahaha, Kelly! Mouth dropped open... That is such a Husky thing to do! At Thanksgiving (when she was much smaller, thank goodness!) Meika snagged a turkey leg off the kitchen island. I'm glad she didn't pull the whole platter down!

Jason...ewww! I'm glad she's not splattered the walls. I think I might die a little. affraid

Well, she's still pretty sick. She's been throwing up this morning and she pooped again in her crate when I went to put my girls down for their nap. I put her on our enclosed deck while I cleaned it up and she pooped out there. I really can't wait until this runs its course. Poor pup.

Right now I have no pumpkin and no Pepto. Our roads are icy and my girls are napping. My husband is supposed to be bringing both home after work. I just hope she's feeling better by then.
Back to top Go down
serendipity3043
Newborn
Newborn
serendipity3043

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I'll probably not do the rice. She's never had it and I don't think this would be a good time to see if she tolerates it well. I'll just either wait it out or do the chicken and some veggies. Thanks for the ideas, Claudia!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...   Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy... Empty

Back to top Go down

Counter Surfing results in one sick puppy...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1