It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

Female Join date : 2012-12-12

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH Empty
PostSubject: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:16 am

So a while ago I posted how Kyra was growing fast, but all her bones were visible and my vet said it was due to her not being on a puppy food. She was on Acana Pacifica regular. Now she is on the Acana large breed puppy.

At 14 weeks she was 19lbs and this is when I switched to puppy. She's just over 17 weeks now and 27lbs, she has put on size, her shoulder blades no longer show, hip bones pretty much unnoticeable and the spine I think you can still tell a bit. She went to the vet today to see a tech to do a "body check" and the tech stated that she was still skinny and that "Acana isn't in the top brands they recommend for dogs digestive wise" and when I asked what she should weigh at this age she said she couldn't even tell me, that it goes by how she physically looks.

She's getting 3 cups a day and still sometimes has diarrhea from the food change I think. She will do a solid one then almost immediately have some diarrhea ever since I switched her over.

How much is too much food? At dinner i've started to add 1/4 cup of D.N.R on top of her 1 cup Acana but I don't want to feed her a ridiculous amount of food all the time.

here is D.N.R incase no one is familiar? It's very expensive so I try and limit how much of it she gets.
http://www.dnapetfood.com/products/canine/venisonsalmon-formula

This angle isn't the best to tell from but this was her a few days ago.
Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH 00210

Should I be increasing the food even more or just waiting it out to see what happens?

Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:31 am

I would wait, but that's just me. Overfeeding, not that I think you are at all, can cause diarrhea too, so I'd let her stomach settle before adding more food.

Every day is different, but 27 pounds doesn't seem crazy to me. Pippa was underweight when I got her at 6 months and she weighed 35-ish, but every dog is different.

How long have you had her on the new food?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 am

when my vet talks food or anything regarding food, its one ear out the other and nod and say uh huh, yeah of course.

I say wait for now. I do wonder about the large breed puppy though. I am not familiar with this brand, but that isn't what i would consider a Large breed dog. But either way, wait for now
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 5:01 am

Well that food certainly has adequate protein, fat, and caloric value to support healthy growth of your puppy. Since Siberians are not Large Breeds, they do not require a Large Breed formula so you are fine. With the diarrhea you are fighting an uphill battle, it could be quantity of food causing the diarrhea. I'm guessing you have made sure she is parasite free, which would be the only other concern I would have. Give her some time, many vets would prefer to see our Siberians over weight, which is not much justice to a growing puppy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 am

Ya, her stool has been checked and came back normal. Acana doesn't have an in between puppy food it's either for large breed or small breed that's why I had her on Regular Pacifica originally. She has been on the puppy food for about 3-4 weeks now. I would love to put her back on the Pacifica but I decided to follow vets orders for nutriion and see if it changed anything lol
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am

We just went to the Vet on Tuesday and they said the same thing about Nova. He is 14 weeks @ 25.5lbs 31-33" long and too skinny. The Vet told us to add more food too. Since we feed him Wellness Puppy she recommended 3 1/2 cups of food a day. So we have been doing that now for the last 2 days and Nova is doing good.
To help with the diarrhea I would recommend giving her 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon of Canned Pumpkin. It helped get Nova back on track with his Poop. BUT - The canned pumpkin goes bad after 2-3 days.

Or you could try 1-2 mil. of Pepto. We had to do that last night he was all liquid @ 8pm and now is back to solid.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 am

She doesn't look too skinny in the picture, and her weight seems reasonable. Huskies aren't supposed to be super huge dogs. Is your vet very familiar with the breed? I recently took a pup that hubby acquired from his disgusting sister (long, sad story behind that, but we might wind up keeping her) to my vet. She is 14 1/2 weeks and has a very long-legged, lanky build and was 19 1/2 lbs and about 17" at the shoulder. The vet didn't even bat an eyelash at it because he said that's how a lot of huskies are at this age (as long as she is eating and growing). For what it's worth, my human kids are the same way. I'm not sure about the diarrhea, but others have given good advice on that.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am

Vets don't understand Huskies and their weight. They usually go through this lanky phase and its difficult to get them to not look skinny lol from the picture- your dog appears fine. I did not know Acana had a puppy formula but based off my information from customers who have used it and when I tried using it... Orijen (who shares the same parent company- Champion) has a very rich puppy food and a lot of dogs I know don't do too well on it in the stool department. That could be your issue as well.

Can you take a picture from above while she's standing? So we can see her back and hips?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 pm

If you've had her on the food for that long I feel like she should be adjusted to it now. Maybe the food is too rich like Kristina said?
Back to top Go down
Melissa911
Puppy
Puppy
Melissa911

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:34 pm

That's what I'm thinking. That the puppy food is too rich like she'll have a more solid stool but then get up, walk 3 steps squat again to go and it will be Diarrhea. When she was on the Pacifica her stool was really solid once she got settled on it and it only took a few days. I just bought a new 13kg bag of the puppy food so I gotta use it.

Should I just use it up and then put her back on Pacifica or mix the puppy food with Pacifica until its gone?

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH 00510

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH 01310

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH 01410

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH 01710
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 1:58 pm

If you just bought a new bag, you might be able to return it to the pet store b/c she's not doing too well on it. I'm not sure about all pet stores, but I did it at Petsmart for one of my cats before.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

She looks to be a good weight to me. She looks much better now. I don't think she's too skinny.
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 4:16 am

You're not supposed to see the hip bones shape through the fur that clearly. I think a little under weight might be true. I know this is a few days old but thought i would comment on the new pictures. Nothing serious but i think some weight might not be horrible to put on. The back legs and the hip bone are the things that kind of clue in on being a little to lean in puppies. Just saying....
Back to top Go down
Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Female Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 8:10 am

Kyra looks alot like Koda he is 18 weeks and around 29 lbs. He had problems with food also and the vet put him on prescription Royal Canin for digestive health-$40 8lb bag, however his stools went back to normal almost immediately and know we are mixing it with puppy Royal Canin and he is doing just great. Also, for first 2 weeks we only used his food as rewards that way we could introduce new treats and such to his diet and see how he reacted. I think that Kyra looks just fine. My brother in law has a 1 yr old female husky and she looked a little lanky and this age, too. Here is a pic of Koda a little blurry, need a new camera. He looks alot like Kyra.
Oh, almost forgot the bag says 2 2/3 cups per day I feed him 3 cups a day 1 cup per meal and treats all day.
Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH Dscn1012
Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH Dscn1013
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 am

I wouldn't be too concerned with this at all. Nicky is pretty skinny and I have people make remarks on it occasionally. It's because she isn't as fluffy as my other two, but I'm sure if they had fur like Nicky, they would look similar to Nicky. After Hayden blows his coat, I have people ask me "Oh my, did Hayden lose weight?? He looks SO skinny"! just say he's blowing his coat and not as fluffy, that's what he really looks like underneath Smile
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 am

she is fine to me Huskies are not large breeds so don't worry. Maggie is a petite malamute but she is healthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH   Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH Empty

Back to top Go down

Vet says she's still too skinny..GAH

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1