It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When is a husky considered ~full grown~?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  Empty
PostSubject: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Hey all,
Ruby is now 10 months, 4 weeks, and 2 days old. I've always asked and wondered this question, when is a husky considered full grown? I've heard so many people say 1 year, 2 years, etc. She's currently about 43 pounds But still looks SO tiny to me. Her father at 3 years old is 80 pounds and her mother (not sure how old) is 55 pounds. I'll post pictures. I know. I'm always so concerned about her weight, but she doesnt eat as much as she use to anymore. She only eats about 3-4 cups of food (TOTW) a day.

When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  20130102_114357_zps441b3bf0
When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  20130111_143641_zps2cd1a33a
When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  20130214_2112390_zps5222fd9e
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm

From what I know, huskies tend to fill out around the year and a half mark. To me, they're not really fully grown until about two years. Smile

But wow, her dad was a BIG boy at 80 lbs!! That's almost mal territory! Smile But don't worry about your pup - she's got a little more time to grow. Smile Don't forget, huskies are supposed to be classified only as a medium sized dog. Smile
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 pm

I think she looks great! Wow, 3-4 cups of TOTW food a day? Each of mine only get 2 cups per day.

Nikko has been at the same weight since he was 8 months old, 54lbs. He grew very quickly between 2-3 months and again between 4-5 months gaining almost 10 pounds in each of those months. Yukon's growth has been more steady, gaining between 3 and 5 lbs per month. He weighed in at 38lbs at 7 months on 1/20. I would put him at about 42-43lbs now.

I thought Nikko would be more like 75-80lbs based on how big he was at 3 months old (25lbs) but he leveled off
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Quote :
She only eats about 3-4 cups of food (TOTW) a day.

Wow that is alot of food.. My 2 1/2 year old huskies only eat about 1 3/4 cups a day. When we got our male he was 9 month old and weight about 38 lbs he now weights 52 lbs He didn't get much bigger just filled out.

Your pup looks great I wouldn't worry about her huskies are a medium size dog.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 pm

I have to say the same about the 2 years being full grown.
She's still a puppy...she is actually a good size. Esp for a female.
My male was at 54lbs maybe a little bit heavier at 12 mos.
My female is a little smaller at 46lbs at 12 mos.

Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:36 pm

This is something I'm interested in as well. My boy is 7 months, 23 inches and the withers and 50 pounds. He eats 1 1/2 cups twice a day for a total of 3 cups. Is he fully grown or will he get bigger? He has already filled out.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm

He's only 7 mos old?....Oh, I believe he has more time to grow. He's still a puppy. Smile
My male stopped growing...(getting taller) by 1.5 years, and after that he just started to fill out.
I would say by two years he stopped growing all together.

Last edited by Iluvmyhuskies on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 pm

I guess I've got a little ways to go before I wonder about this. My little guy is only 10 pounds at 8 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 pm

My puppy is at 13lbs at 8 weeks. But she's gonna be solid like her dad.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm going to end up with a 80 pound husky, aren't I? God I'm going to need a bigger bed if he gets that big.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I agree, 3-4 cups is a lot of food. Mine only eat 1.5-2 cups max a day.

She look's great, so I wouldn't be concerned.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 pm

http://www.pupvana.com/taking-care-of-a-puppy/how-big-will-my-puppy-get.html#puppy-growth-calculator

this is not 100% accurate because it said Nikko was going to be 80lbs, and he stopped growing at 8 months, but I assume he will get bulkier, because right now he is very lanky and lean.

Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm

My big boy Oakley is 40lbs at 17 weeks(almost 5 mos)
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm

I have always been told that they are full physical height by about 1 year and will then start to fill out until about 1 1/2. But that mentally they are not considered adults until about 2 years old.

That said, at just over a year old Saphire is about 22 inches and 47lbs. But still acts like she is 10 weeks old. LOL
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:50 pm

jschrader wrote:
http://www.pupvana.com/taking-care-of-a-puppy/how-big-will-my-puppy-get.html#puppy-growth-calculator

this is not 100% accurate because it said Nikko was going to be 80lbs, and he stopped growing at 8 months, but I assume he will get bulkier, because right now he is very lanky and lean.

I'm not sure its very accurate it says that as an Adult Saphire will weigh less than she does now and she should just be starting to fill out.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:51 pm

This says Loki is going to be 85 pounds. He is already built pretty solid.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

That's weird, it does the same for Nikko too
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 pm

eander83 wrote:
This says Loki is going to be 85 pounds. He is already built pretty solid.

Nikko was about 50lbs at 7 months old as well, and he topped off at 55lbs
Back to top Go down
RogueBella
Newborn
Newborn
RogueBella

Female Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Rogue is 4 months today and 37lbs. She is going to be a big girl! Thanks for all the info on feeding. She would eat 8 cups a day if i let her! I have her at 3 cups a day now.
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Using that calculator thing it says my Oakley is suppose to weigh 103lbs?
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

@UndarthAngipoo
Thanks for your reply! I totally forgot for a second that huskies are medium sized dogs. Haha. And yes! Her father is a monsterrr! I met him when I picked up Ruby at 6 weeks old and I was almost terrified. Haha.
Back to top Go down
withlovejP
Puppy
Puppy
withlovejP

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 pm

@jschrader @ljelgin @Hayden_69
Okay, so I might’ve been exaggerating a bit after realizing. Embarassed I usually put out 3-4 cups of food out a day, but Ruby tends to eat just about 2-3 cups of the amount a day. So still, I suppose that’s good. Thank you guys so much for your replies! You all made me feel at ease. Razz
Back to top Go down
Crispin
Newborn
Newborn
Crispin

Male Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Crispin is the same age/weight/height as Loki. I got 84 lbs from the result of the above calculator, but when I looked at growth charts when he was younger the best guess came out to be about 55-65 lbs.

I had also used this to make weekly estimates and see how much the calculators were varying based on his actual growth from month 3 to 6: http://www.puppyweights.com/

Based on dog growth charts* a 7 month (30 week) old puppy should be about 90% of their maximum height and around 80% of their maximum weight. For Crispin these values work out to about 25.5" and 62.5 lbs which seems pretty close to the estimates I worked out when he was a puppy.

* - The charts won't be accurate for every dog. I decided to use a mean of a few charts for huskies and GSDs to estimate Crispin's adult weight since he's a mix. He's been following the expected trend pretty well so far.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 pm

as for height i think they stop at about 1.5-2yrs, they then will fill out and should be full sz by 3, that is what we experienced with Jack when we got him at 1.5yr. all he did was fill out after 2yrs.
females SHOULD be smaller then the males, my 2 are very close to breed standard in height and weight. Side by side you can tell, that's how it should be. you may want to get her on a schedule feed times so you can better track how much she is eating.

Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

Female Join date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

So it seems my pup is over weight but she is SO skinny! She is 11 and a half months old and has been about 55 - 60 lbs for the last couple months!..she eats about 2 cups of food a day.. somedays.. she is a weird eater.. I hope she fills out a bit though because it looks like she never eats but we can't make her eat more!

- Sara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is a husky considered ~full grown~?    When is a husky considered ~full grown~?  Empty

Back to top Go down

When is a husky considered ~full grown~?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next