It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from Iowa!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kman2123
Newborn
Newborn
kman2123

Male Join date : 2013-02-27

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:18 am

Hello!
I just put a down deposit for my husky today. The profile picture is him! I have left him unnamed for now. I will be meeting this lil guy hopefully on Saturday so I may have a name then! I won't be picking him up until the end of March but figured I would join the forum anyway Smile

I do have some questions for anyone to answer!

We will be picking him up at 9-10 weeks old and it is going to have to stay at my parents or sisters house until the end of April. That being said, my parents will gladly take him assuming that he gets a long with our current dog Chinno who is a 3? year old Carinoodle (Cairn Terrier and Poodle mix).

Do you think the puppy will be fine with Chinno for April? Also, do they shed a lot as puppy's?

I am thinking about getting a crate for the puppy and found some good ones on this forum. Should I get one that he can grow into? The midwest one that I found at Amazon has a divider panel for when they are puppys!

Would it be wise to keep the puppy and chinno in separate areas of the house?

Thank you!!

Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 am

Welcome! So excited to hear about your pup - can't wait for more pics!!

Now for your questions... Smile

Whether dogs will get along or not are usually up to the dogs - you'll need to make sure they're closely supervised since the pup will be so young. If Chinno is accepting of all his antics, then more power to him. When introducing them, make sure you do it in neutral territory - there are some other good threads about introductions on here as well. The search feature should pull them up if you can't find them on the forums. Smile

Mine didn't really shed very much as a puppy that age, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be so bad for you either.

As for the crate, if you crate-train your pup properly and he accepts it, then the divider one should be perfect. Just make sure he has enough space to stand up and turn around, and not much more.

As long as Chinno is up to date with all his shots and free of any contagious ailments, then I don't see why they should be separated. Like I said before, make sure you know that Chinno can handle a puppy, and that the new pup isn't going to be too overwhelming for him. Smile
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am

Welcome!

I'm from Iowa as well!
Back to top Go down
kman2123
Newborn
Newborn
kman2123

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Thank you for the quick reply and information Angela! I will have more pictures up once I get them uploaded to my website either today or tomorrow.

I will for sure do some searching on introductions!

The reason I asked was because my Mom is allergic to dog hair but if it doesn't shed much it doesn't really bother her. I am beginning to wonder how allergic she is because Chinno can sit on her lap and she doesn't have any issues.

I think I will then go for the bigger crate with the divider!

Chinno is for sure up to date and the puppy will have it's first shots as well as worming done when I pick him up. I know the breeder is going to give me more information but what is the normal schedule for shots?

Yay another Iowan! Smile
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Traditionally, poodle mixes don't "shed" per se since they have hair and not fur (that's why they need to be trimmed every so often. Smile

I got Stark's shots done a little later since he wasn't from an actual breeder - 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 weeks. There are some vet techs on here that I'm sure will chime in with respect to what was given when.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm pretty allergic to dogs, but it's rare that I have any kind of reaction to Pippa, and I never have.

From what I've read, huskies' top coats block out a lof of allergens that other dogs tent to get in their undercoat, which lessens the reactions people have. Also, the shedding doesn't necessarily correlate with allergic reaction. I've been around plenty of dogs that don't shed, but I've left not being able to breathe. It has more to do with their dander.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Welcome cute looking pup can't wait to see pictures.

My husband and myself are from Iowa but we have live in Oklahoma for alot of years..

Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Welcome, your boy is very cute! Can't wait to see more pictures.

I'm also allergic to dogs. It's not the dogs fur that's the problem. As Katie mentioned above, dander (flakes of dead skin) is one of the triggers as is the dog's saliva or urine.
Back to top Go down
kman2123
Newborn
Newborn
kman2123

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for the information on the allergies! I had no idea so this is very good to know!

I will be able to see him this weekend so I'll probably have some more pictures but here are a couple that the they provided!

Hello from Iowa! Puppy%20(1)
Hello from Iowa! Puppy%20(3)
Hello from Iowa! Puppy%20(6)
Hello from Iowa! Puppy%20(9)
Hello from Iowa! Puppy%20(10)
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Ohh my lord!! His tail is so fluffy!! He is adorable!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
kman2123
Newborn
Newborn
kman2123

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 am

I was able to meet the puppy this past weekend. I have decided to name him Thor! He was very fun to watch and hold. The biggest and fluffiest of the litter!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from Iowa! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Iowa!   Hello from Iowa! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Iowa!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1