It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies and Cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Female Join date : 2013-03-01

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I was just wondering how odd my Huskies really are. I have one cat named Wolfie and another foster cat named Dash.
All three of my Sibes are fine with cats. Phoenix does have a tendency to chase them if they run, but she's gotten "leave it" down very well recently and stops mid-run now. Kumari is fine with cats as well. Phoenix and Kumari are definitely not okay with small animals like guinea pigs or rabbits though. This one time at my friend's farm, Phoenix was in one of the paddocks fenced in a loose. She saw one of the geese had gotten in the pen, chased it, jumped on it's back while it was flying up some, grabbed it by the neck and went straight for the jugular. I'm sure if I hadn't stopped her she would have killed it. Only good thing about it was that I felt better about her surviving if she ever ran away (although she has never run away).
Mady, on the other hand, is actually good with not only the two cats, but my two rabbits as well. She used to protect the guinea pig from the other dogs when it was in it's cage.
So how odd is this? I know Huskies are not usually good with small animals because they have such a high prey drive. I just want to know how many others have Huskies good with cats and other small animals. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mette.c.smith
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't think that's that odd. We have three cats and two sibes. Nunya will chase them occasionally, but Snoopy leaves them alone. However, I brought Snoopy to my sister's house and we had a rat out and as soon as he noticed it he was immediately turned on to her and tried to kill her, very fixated, so he's not safe with other small animals either. In my opinion, it depends on the dog.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 pm

I don't think it's odd either. I have 2 cats, as well as a Dachshund, and I trust Kale alone with both in the house and outside. It all has to do with environment and how they were raised IMO, genetics do factor in as well, but with proper training, it can be managed. Any breed of dog can have a prey drive for cats and small animals.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks to all the time I put into training, my sibe is superb with cats, small dogs, and small animals. I can leave him with run of the house with cats, my chihuahuas, and my guinea pigs without fearing for their safety.

Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm glad to hear about other Huskies good with cats and small animals. I've talked to so many people either shocked that I have cats and Sibes, surprised Mady gets along with small animals, or interested how I did it. Frankly, I did not do anything with Mady or Kumari. Phoenix I just taught "leave it", and it helps that my little bobtailed cat Wolfie thinks he is a mini-Husky. Haha. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Not all huskies have strong prey drive....there are those that have much higher drives than others. But the main thing here is though they may accept the cats they live with as part of their 'pack' that doesn't mean the neighbor hood stray cat that wanders into their yard will be safe. I have had a number of Siberians in my home willing to accept the cats as part of the norm, I've had one that had it out for them the moment he saw them. It's all about knowing your dog and the limits-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 pm

My husky will only chase cats outside. Inside he doesn't care much or them. They will even rub up and purr around him and he just lays there lol. But the cats were around before him so he grew up with them and when we got a new kitten he was ok with her as well.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:02 pm

It really does just depend on the dog and the training/discipline given.
It's the Huskies that require nothing at all like my Mady that impress me. Not just because she is a Husky, but any dog that is so gentle with the rabbits impresses me. Especially since my rabbit Shadow is not afraid at all of burrowing in Mady's tail and fur. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 am

Well, unfortunately I can't trust Shiva with any of my other animals unless I'm right there between the two animals supervising at 100% focus. She has previously killed 2 baby bearded dragons from my last stock back when I was breeding and was too fast for me to do anything, not to mention she has tried more times afterwards. When I am holding my ferret in my hand she thinks its a toy and proceeds to catch/bite at her. Trust her? Not a chance, but I do supervise introduction/play about once a week with a select animal so she can get over it slowly and diminish that insane curiosity she has. I have seen better behavior as she ages and does listen when I say "no" or "get out" but sometimes there is that spark in her eye that I just cannot trust.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 am

Lol, how about huskies and ducklings!

Don't try this at home. Razz
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Huskies and Cats 81269011
Mady loves her bunny friends. Smile
Huskies and Cats 11219_10
Phoenix loves her Wolfie kitty.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Aww, bunnies!
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 6:28 pm

My husky is good with cats, this video can prove it lol

Back to top Go down
EAM927
Newborn
Newborn
EAM927

Female Join date : 2013-01-22

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 am

I has one husky and a kitten. They're 3 months apart. Smile at first D was so fixated on DC that all he wanted to do was be around her. She was only a month old when I got her, so I was afraid he'd tried to eat her because that is what I heard huskies do. Alas the worst he does is picks her up by the head and drags her around. Haha she's deaf so she's already a weird cat. She does more damage to him than he to her. Smile they're best friends. And the best two decisions I made.
Back to top Go down
EAM927
Newborn
Newborn
EAM927

Female Join date : 2013-01-22

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 am

Also.. Abby your Kay looks just like my D. Smile I love it.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

EAM927 wrote:
Also.. Abby your Kay looks just like my D. Smile I love it.
They do look very similar, do you have a scrapbook for D?
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:55 am

xredrainx wrote:
My husky is good with cats, this video can prove it lol

I love this! lol
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:40 am

Jordan, what is the cat doing to that poor dog? Haha!

I am so glad to talk to some people with Huskies good with cats and other small animals. My best friend has an Aussie and since Abby is good with all small animals (she's actually afraid of the rabbits for no reason), my friend doesn't really understand how worried I get about Phoenix possibly hurting a small critter (not cat) one day. Or understand how proud I am of Mady for being so good with everyone. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 am

I have 1 Husky and 2 cats. Onyx chased our male cat for the first 8 months because he would run. During that time, Onyx got really good with the "leave the cat alone" command.. Laughing. Mittens our female runs the house, she is leader of the "pack" at all 6 lbs of her. Occasionally I have caught her trying to rub up on Onyx's face while he was sitting there, then he would move to sniff her and she would swat him without claws, basically telling him "on my terms you filthy mutt." It's actually quite funny. Other than that they get along very well, he hasn't cornered the male or chased him in quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Phoenix chases Wolfie as well, but only when he runs and usually because he just attacked her face or leg and then took off. Haha.
My new foster cat does the same thing your female does. She'll rub against or sniff the dogs or cat and when the latter moves she puts them in their place telling them not to move.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Here's a pic of Sophie and buddy.

Huskies and Cats 211111l
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Aw! Cuddles!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Heart.Of.A.Wolf wrote:
Aw! Cuddles!
Lol, i made them cuddle. Buddy is the only cat that was okay with it, all the others hate dogs. Which is good.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Huskies and Cats 37470912
Phoenix loves her Wolf-monster Smile
Back to top Go down
Lovegood
Newborn
Newborn
Lovegood

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Our two girls, Luna and Tonks . . .

Huskies and Cats Image16
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Huskies and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies and Cats   Huskies and Cats Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies and Cats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next