It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Walking and ADD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Puppy Walking and ADD Empty
PostSubject: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Just wanted to get some tips and info about walks with the pup.

I would say that very near the top of my list of most annoying/problematic things about Link (9 weeks old) so far is that he is so easily distracted and has serious attention deficit issues.

I know it's a puppy thing, so first question: when does this switch so that a more engaged, focused, determined walk is possible?

When he is going, man it's good and fun and he gets good exercise and life is good. But then, boom a leaf! or a bus! or a suitcase! or an invisible, ephemeral thingy in the air that humans can't see!!!!

Then going one block takes 10 minutes and I start to worry about too much tension on the leash causing strain and negative associations with walking.

Also, in terms of leash training, here's what I do.

I can usually entice him by walking backwards at first with a treat. I let him nibble but not have it. We then get going, and I excitedly praise him verbally and occasionally with touch on the back or chest.

I try to focus in on him as much as I can and as soon as I see his ears shift or his focus shift, I say "No, focus" (which we use with him a lot and he knows the word, as well as a flat palm facing him as the "focus" symbol). I will also accompany this with a slight snap, as in a "pay attention", not a jerk at all.

He is so energetic on walks and clearly likes them and he is great about staying in line and not pulling. I'm just wondering how normal his attention problems are for his age, when this will naturally get better through his development, and how can I best facilitate this through training techniques.

Thanks folks!

I got to see Rhia and Korra yesterday. Korra is 2.5 months ish older than Link and she is on a very different mental development stage than he is, and I am trying to gauge his progress and position.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm

I think part of that is just a dog thing...

Even the most determined dog will occasionally get distracted on walks. Pippa is over a year old and there are times during walks, or an entire walk where she will not stop getting distracted. It doesn't help that I walk her on a super busy road, but leaves, buses, scooters, children, the wind... She still gets distracted. It's definitely better than it was, but there are still times where I question my sanity.

This even happens on runs sometimes. We'll be going along, she's in full run mode, ears back, tongue out the side of her mouth, and if something enticing enough rustles in the bushes, she'll try to inspect it. I give her a quick, "Come on!" and she presses on.

A lot of this has to do with the Sibe's prey drive I think. Sure, you can encourage them to not be easily distractible, but there will always be days where they find something more exciting than you.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks Katie. I had a good walking day today. I picked up a front clip harness for him and it seems to relax him quite a bit and he was much more free spirited. Could be too that he hit a mental growth spurt today because his overall cognition and alertness seemed to have gone up a couple of notches today. He's much more alert and engaged today so I think this in part translated to a smoother, happier walk for both of us. With the harness today he was that classic Husky springy on his afternoon walk and for the first time his tongue was flopping around some.

It kinda melted my heart I love you

It made me feel better too because when he did get his ADD hit the brakes moments the tension hits him in the chest and not his neck.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:49 pm

I have been trying to take Nanook for a walk everyday before work...I have been late to work everyday...lol.(lucky for me my boss is also a dog lover and doesn't mind) He starts off strong and I am positive we will make it around the block in a timely mannor, then as you said a leaf blows by or...his favorite...weeds...they distract him like nothing else. He wants to roll in them , eat them, smell them, pee on them. I am going to try a harness as well when I can get to the store this weekend.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:59 pm

How old is Nanook?

The harness worked great today. Mine has a clip on the back and front, front is best for walking for sure. When I switched to the back, wow! Was it every Husky time!!! He's going to have to learn the difference between walking and working when we begin weight pulling harness training in about 5-6 months Razz
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Try practicing your walking indoor or the backyard, skmewhere less distracting so the puppy learns to follow you. Then graduate to bigger distractions.

This video may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT8VDgR_Koo&sns=em
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Wow, thanks for that video. I feel inspired. It seems so simple too.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:29 pm

I have the same issue. I normally try to talk him into continuing but sometimes he just won't get up. I don't want to pull him with the leash so I normally end up picking him up, walking 3 steps, and give him a little push as I am putting him down in the direction we need to go. That usually does the trick until the next distraction comes around after 10 yards haha.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Me too Jim, I use that method. I can get him going if I walk ahead, face him, and kinda jog backwards a bit so I seem fun to follow. Works pretty well.

Thankfully, he doesn't seem to go ahead so I don't have to deal with pulling per se......yet. But the idea of a front clip harness is that if they do pull, it will naturally twist them a bit and give them an opportunity to correct them then.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh man, I really want to watch this video but I have no sound for some reason. I will have to wait for my husband to get home...bummer! I had a 150lb Labrador who was such a pain to walk. The minute he knew he was bigger then me our walks became a nightmare. That was my only complaint about that sweet dog though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Walking and ADD   Puppy Walking and ADD Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Walking and ADD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1