It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rabbits and Cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Female Join date : 2013-03-01

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm

I have my black Havanah mix neutered rabbit named Shadow and my friends black and white spayed mini lop mix named Hope. They turned a year old on February 18th.
Rabbits and Cats 2013_011Rabbits and Cats 2012-110

This is my rescued cat. I believe he's a Manx. He turns 3 on the 10th. His name is Wolfheart, aka Wolfie. Smile
Rabbits and Cats Dsc00011Rabbits and Cats 46345310

This is my new foster kitty. Her name is Dash and she is four years old.
Rabbits and Cats 2013_013Rabbits and Cats 2013_014
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mette.c.smith
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Aww, they're so cute! I had a bunny who just died recently, he was about 12 years old.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Aw. I'm sorry. Sad My grandpa keeps trying to tell me that mine will only live like five years. I have to keep reminding him that most rabbits live at least eight and some even more than that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks, yeah all of ours have lived at least 8 or more. The vet was surprised how healthy and old he was but he had some tumors and couldn't be treated. Sad

He would throw fits and throw his food bowl against the cage if he wasn't fed on time or didn't want the food.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 pm

I love your rabbits! I had a rabbit that actually bent the bars of his cage from throwing temper tantrums. He HATED being left in his cage and wanted to be by his people lol

Your manx and torbie are adorable too :3 I love manxes and tortie/torbie/calico cats. I have a long haired calico cat and she's such a crazy doll.
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Thanks, yeah all of ours have lived at least 8 or more. The vet was surprised how healthy and old he was but he had some tumors and couldn't be treated. Sad
He would throw fits and throw his food bowl against the cage if he wasn't fed on time or didn't want the food.
Mine used to throw fits, but they'd do it even when the bowl had food in it. My friend and I ended up getting bowls that attached to the bars that they can't knock off and throw around.

dahowlers wrote:
I love your rabbits! I had a rabbit that actually bent the bars of his cage from throwing temper tantrums. He HATED being left in his cage and wanted to be by his people lol

Your manx and torbie are adorable too :3 I love manxes and tortie/torbie/calico cats. I have a long haired calico cat and she's such a crazy doll.
What's a torbie? Haha. Torties & calicos are my favorites. Manxes are my favorite breed. The breeds usual disposition is just perfect for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
dimples41479
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-24

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Brand new to the forum. Do your huskys do okay with your cats? I have 2 cats and looking to bring a husky to the family but my reading online has made me very nervous about that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.capturingfirefliesphotography.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:53 pm

It depends on if the dog grew up around them or has had positive experiances around them. I have two cats and Kale gets along with them great. He ignores them for the most part; although he grew up with them, so they are pack members. But yes, it is very possible for sibes and cats to get along, there just need to be a lot of caution when bringing your pup home and they need to know their limits ASAP. Bringing in an adult dog that has never been around them before, I would be leary of personally.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
dimples41479
Newborn
Newborn

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:00 am

Thank you so much. Yes, I plan to bring in a puppy so that he/she can grow up with my kitties. But im still nervous with what i am reading online...
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptySat May 25, 2013 7:59 am

In my opinion I think it matters most how you introduce the dog & cat. The ages, personalities, & introduction are very important. I brought Wolfie home when he was about a year to a year & a half. I got him from a shelter so we weren't 100% sure. I brought him home to my 3 dogs. Kumari was about 8, Mady was about 7, & Phoenix was about 1-1.5. None of my dogs had ever seen a cat before either. Kumari did not care about him once she realized he wasn't some small prey animal. Mady gets along with everything, including my bunnies, so that was fine. Phoenix was the only one I was remotely worried about or had to work with. She has a very high prey drive. So if Wolfie took off she'd go into prey mode. Wolfie stayed in my room for the first week with gradual trips out into the house while the dogs were outside. Sometimes I'd leave Mady and/or Kumari inside so he would get used to seeing the dogs. He was a natural. The moment I brought him home he knew he was home & I never had a problem with him. He seems to think he is a mini Husky, Kumari treats him like a dog too, but not the other cat Dash. Haha. Anyway, with Phoenix I would keep her on a leash, & give her treats for doing "leave it". I just needed a command so she wouldn't chase him & she still wasn't very good for "come". For "leave it", I just needed her to look away & not become fixated. When I finally just let them all be together, you would see Wolfie & Phoenix wrestling & think she was either killing him or dying from her sounds. My family would yell at her, but that was before they realized the cat was starting most of the wrestling matches & it was just their way of playing. Since then I have worked on Phoenix with other cats & with small dogs, she now listens better too. So when I brought Dash home, I was relieved to see Phoenix be extremely gentle & careful with her. I think it helped Dash to adjust to living with 3 dogs. She loves Phoenix, always has. They will cuddle (which Phoenix doesn't really do with anyone but me) & Dash loves to rub against Phoenix's face & legs.
All that being said, I think if Wolfie had been older or less friendly. Or Phoenix had been older or even younger, & less key on listening. Or if both of them had been introduced too quickly & too freely (they both always had boundries). Then it could have been a disaster. My suggestions would be to give the cats a room with a closeable door. Make it their "safe zone". Teach the puppy/dog from day one, that room is off limits. Not only could it keep them from eating the cat litter/poop & the cat food if it is in there, but if the cats are ever being chased by the dog, they will know the room is safe & the dog will know to leave them. A baby gate or chair or anything blocking the door to deter the dog is welcome as well. For introductions, keep the pup/dog on a leash until you can better gauge how they will react. As to the cats, make sure they feel safe the entire time. Letting them come to the dog is preferred. Stressed, scared cats are pretty dangerous & you don't want the dog or yourself to get hurt.
I hope any & all of this helped. Good luck to you. Feel free to message or post any more questions. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptySat May 25, 2013 10:54 am

My two ate good with our cat when its only one dog and the cat but they tag team him when the dogs are together. I dont think their trying to hurt him but we usually have to seperate them becaude the seem to to egg each on. We are still working with leave it but that commands completely ignored when the cats around. We also sometimes feel the cat deserves a butt whooping he will constantly tease them then expect not to get anything in return. Everythings slowly getting better inside the house but outside you can forget it! The cats the enemy and thats that!! It definitelt would have been easier having a puppy come into the equation but i had two fully grown dogs with an unknown history come un unexpectadly and we are doing ok i think. Love your rabbits, i've always wanted one but my mothers highly allergic we couldnt even keep one outside in a hutch she would be set off, your wolfie looks full of the dickens especially with his yellow eyes!
Back to top Go down
Heart.Of.A.Wolf
Puppy
Puppy
Heart.Of.A.Wolf

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptySat May 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Thank you. Shadow & Hope live in the basement. Haha. They are pretty full of personality.
Wolfie is a wacko. He is just the sweetest thing. Wouldn't put a claw on you even if you threw him in the air & caught him again (my sister did that once so we know). He just seems to think he is a mini Husky. Acts like my girls, just happens to be in a cat body. Haha. But it isn't too far off since Huskies are very catlike. Razz
Back to top Go down
dimples41479
Newborn
Newborn

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats EmptySat May 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Thank you very much for your help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rabbits and Cats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbits and Cats   Rabbits and Cats Empty

Back to top Go down

Rabbits and Cats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1