It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

Male Join date : 2013-02-28

My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. Empty
PostSubject: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:53 am

Hello Everyone,

I have now tried 12 different treats, from healthy, to bacony fat treats, she likes nothing. She likes her food and even that she doesnt eat a lot of. I took her to the vet and they tried several treats while clipping her nails and she refused them all, on a side note, she is super healthy and everything is A-OK health wise.

Its making it really hard to potty train her, she loves her crate though, which is a plus. She wont poo inside but shell walk over the the from door and just pee, without asking to go out or anything. I have just been taking her out every 20 mins to avoid a floor covered in pee. I tell her good girl and pet her when she goes outside but shes still going inside.

Another question, shes a real bitey. She likes to nibble fingers and such, any suggestions on that?

Thanks for any responses!
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:49 am

If she likes her kibble than use that as training treats. We also use cheese, cut up baby carrots and a couple blueberries. I know other people use pieces of hot dog.
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 pm

You'll need to find something she really likes as a treat. You're only giving a small amount, so things like hot dog bits, cheese or other things should be OK.
My opinion about potty training is that its more about building habit. In other words getting the dog to the point that going inside the house isn't comfortable for the dog. My advice would be to keep taking her out frequently. When she starts to go, give her a command like "go potty". Praise her when she does, like you are. Also, avoid giving her the opportunity to do it in the house. When you let her out of the crate, immediately go outside. If its not secured and she comes out on her own, immediately take her outside, before she has a chance in the house.
It'll come...
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm

how long have you had her home? Our pup did not eat much of anything (treats or her food) initially and i think it was simply because the transition from breeder to our house was a little overwhelming. But her appetite picked up after a few days or so and we found that cheese, peanut butter and hot dog bits were most interesting to her. Of course since that's all people food we are very careful to make sure its in teeny amounts.
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 5:39 am

Varu is an extremely picky eater, he doesn't even eat peanut butter! Home
Made jerky and cut up hot dog are my go to treats for him.

If you searc for 'mouthing' on the forum you'll find a bunch of long discussions about how tk deal with it. Most poeple find saying 'ouch' then ignoring the dog until they settle dow is effective. Once they make the association that mouthing = boredom they'll cease to do it.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am

I didnt use treats for potty training.. I just took him out often and got excited when he went outside... Have ur dog sit by the door everytime before u go outwide to potty (the door u go out). Make sure u do this every time.. She will catch on and start sitting infront of that door when she has to go out..she is still gonna have accidents though... She is a puppy.. But just try to limit them.. I learned quickly almost all of the aiccdents ur dog has are your fault.. For not seeing the sign.. Or waiting to long, or not taking out after, eat, drink, play, or nap..
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 am

Treats my suggestion would be to use something that you only use for training. Make them small pieces of something she likes as suggested above. YOu can try the hot dog cheese carrots etc or we tried canned chicken for one dog. It can help if it is a high value treat for the after I potty outside. Bourbon was nuts about pupperoni so we were good there.
We also used the bell on the door for the potty training. Ring it to go out. then say potty as they start to pee helped.
Bourbon was very mouthy and can be still when he has zoomies. But we quelled most of it by "ouch" and leaving the the area for a bit to ignore him.

Time and patience works best.

My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. LcFfm5My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. KIX4m5
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am

For the mouthing I also found if it happened during play, if I replaced my hand with a toy she caught on pretty quick that toys were OK to chew, mommy was not. Now when she realizes my hand is in her mouth she gets very gentle with it. I did use ouch a couple times too and we haven't had issues with her being very bitty.

As to the potty training, be consistent. Have a routine. This will help her learn that going outside is good. Karli didn't want treats at first either, I think because she had never had them before. Try as many as possible to see what she likes best. Head rubs work just as well as food with some dogs (in Karli's case its belly rubs lol.)
Back to top Go down
Talimore
Newborn
Newborn
Talimore

Male Join date : 2013-02-28

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 am

Little update, sorry it took so long, was without internet. Shes doing much better with her potty training, she goes out everytime I let her out of her crate in the mornings and I did find a treat she liked from blue buffalo but they are giving her soft stools so I think I will hold off. I also think Im over feeding her a bit so I have cut her food down a little and will see how her poop does the next few days. She still has accidents here and there (including today) because she doesnt give any noticeable signs of needing out. She just goes when she needs to go ..... We were in the kitchen and I was cooking and she was playing and we were only in there maybe 20 mins and she decided to pee randomly, so I don't know if shes learning or not Sad

As for the biting, still no luck there. I have a problem child on my hands Smile I love her to death still but man I have to find some trick to this biting. Its really nibbling and its not so bad but when she gets SUPER playful and excited she doesnt control it and sometimes it really hurts. When she does it now I just say NOO! And she seems pretty shocked and stops for a few mins but then starts back up again. I keep replacing my hand or w/e shes biting with a toy but that doesnt seem to be helping much. I guess Ill keep at it but I have to stop this behavior soon or Im afraid it will continue into adult hood and some poor little kid trying to pet her will get hurt.

P.S. Shes such a daddy's girl. No matter where in the house she is or what shes doing, if I call her and say "come see daddy baby" she will come RUNNING and start jumping all over me! Its really cute! We have also been taking her for some nice longer walks to burn her energy which has helped her nap more often. I have a really nice home theater where I have spending my off time as of late because of the doubles I have been working but its carpeted and not well ventilated, so I cant trust her in there with her potty training and I usually crate her for an hour on and off while I watch something. It makes me feel so bad, she doesnt cry or anything because she likes her crate but it just makes me heart broken knowing shes in there alone Sad

I want to get her potty trained so I can have her with me in there and trust she wont stain anything. Let me know if you have any more suggestions and thanks to all the ones you have been giving me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.   My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks. Empty

Back to top Go down

My new pup refuses to eat any treat, its making it hard to potty train her and teach her any tricks.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1