It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dognappers...this is getting out of hand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

Dognappers...this is getting out of hand Empty
PostSubject: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 pm

We are having a huge increase of "missing" dogs (all pure breed) in this area. Anything from pugs to pitts. 2 days ago a boxer, pom, pug and 3 huskies (one of them is Peaches' mom, Ava) came up "missing". There have been no sightings of them. Sad Needless to say Peaches is always with us when she is outside, we are never going to leave her alone for any amount of time. It's just not safe.

Sad thing is that no one seems to be looking into all the missing dogs. Sad
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Its sad, i would be furious if someone took my pups! I would think about some security cameras or at least decoys maybe that would help out. I cant believe someone would just take a dog or pup its ridiculious! And that no one looks into it is even worse!! We noticed someone clipped Bel and Jas's fur and we are pissed if someone took them....I couldnt imagine it. The ignorance of the human race is unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm

I know! There have been about 25-30 dogs come up missing in the last 2 months around here. 2 days ago Ava (Peaches' mom) came up missing, she is white. The same day about 20 miles from where Ava came up missing 2 other huskies disappeared (black/white & red/white males).

One would think that if the dogs where just missing, someone somewhere would have seem them. That's not the case, they dogs just seem to disappeared without a trace. It can only be one thing, someone is stealing our pets. Sad
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Hmm, that's kinda crazy! Just the other day I was on craigslist (reno) and there are also a number of missing dogs in this area?

It's like some weird aliens are taking our furkids away!!! Ahhhhhh affraid
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Iluvmyhuskies wrote:
Hmm, that's kinda crazy! Just the other day I was on craigslist (reno) and there are also a number of missing dogs in this area?

It's like some weird aliens are taking our furkids away!!! Ahhhhhh affraid

without a trace Smile

My husband bought a tie out cable the other day so Peaches would go out and play and I wouldn't have to stand out in the cold since I've been sick. No way! I'm not about to leave her alone outside. Scary thing is that most of these dogs come up missing in the daylight hours.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 pm

This is really common around here too. We even had a case where a dog came up missing and they found it shot dead in a field. People are not fun. Everywhere I go there's signs for these two German shepherds that went missing about a year ago, their owners aren't giving up but I think they're gone :[
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 pm

In my area the majority are Huskies.
Sometimes I get a little bit nervous walking the dogs, as I could draw attention to a possible husky-napper.

Why are some people so ill?? It breaks my heart to hear about anykind of animal abuse.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm

I had a couple break-in attempts to my apartment window, I was home both times and literally opened my window and yelled at them 'Can I freaking help you?!'. Then ran off. But it is scary, the one good thing about living in an apartment is that I'm forced to stay outside with them while they're on leashes, and when I leave they're in their crates and I make sure the windows are locked and my doors bottom and top locks are locked. Nobody steals my babies <3
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I had a couple break-in attempts to my apartment window, I was home both times and literally opened my window and yelled at them 'Can I freaking help you?!'. ....

lol doubt I would have been so nice...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 pm

just another reason i never leave our 2 home out alone, just not safe, we also have a "mean dog" that has broken the fence and bite sierra so we need to keep an eye on that as well.

have the cops looked into it or warned owners to keep an eye on the dogs?

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 pm

bttlsgtmajor wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
I had a couple break-in attempts to my apartment window, I was home both times and literally opened my window and yelled at them 'Can I freaking help you?!'. ....

lol doubt I would have been so nice...

My mom was also home one of the times and she was like 'what did you think they were out there for, to order their McDonalds meal?! you don't just stare at robbers in the face and ask how you can help them!!' XD
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Just recently (last summer) there were people driving all over southeast NE and north Kansas posing as Omaha Steak salesman. They were in an unmarked van (which makes me wonder why nobody was suspicious in the first place..) and they would ask people if they had large breed dogs and if they were kept outside, purebred..questions like that. Then they would go back and steal them. We discovered they were stealing them to sale them to labs for testing. Once people finally figured out what was going on, they had switched vehicles and I don't think they were ever caught. It was so sad. Especially because people KNEW what was going on and they STILL didn't do anything!!! So aggravating!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
SLB
Puppy
Puppy
SLB

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm

It's getting silly at this side of the world too.

There is one dog - Angel a GSP - her owner has offered a £10,000 reward - even re mortgaged her house. She still hasn't turned up.

There have been several litters - whole litters gone missing, including a bulldog litter, one of the pups was sold and the bloke who bought it gave it back to the breeder after hearing about the dogs being stolen.

Just lately a black terrier has been missing, the posters are all over the tram bridge where I go to get to work.

What I'd like to know is - where are they going? I know we, as do you, have a problem with dog fighting, but they can't all be used as that - are they going elsewhere to be bred from? Sold elsewhere? Whats happening to them if they're not already dead? Selfish people.

It's getting that silly I'm not longer discouraging Louie barking at people who approach him on walks. They think chocolate lab and go to fuss him and he tells them off. I make an excuse for it now rather than apologising. Pennie is a worry cos she will go over to someone, as will Jack and Sadie. However I don't think they'd go off with someone without a fight. I use slip leads and leave their collars loose so that if someone does grab hold of them or clips a lead on - they can slip their collars.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm not sure of other breeds, but I have heard to Sibes being used as bait dogs for dog fighting. Sick.
Back to top Go down
SLB
Puppy
Puppy
SLB

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm

bellecma wrote:
I'm not sure of other breeds, but I have heard to Sibes being used as bait dogs for dog fighting. Sick.

Any dog being used as bait dogs is sick.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 5:20 pm

There have been a lot of foxes and coyotes sighting in our area could some of these be getting loose and the foxes or coyotes getting them. I know that people with small dogs need to be careful with them around coyotes and foxes.

I did notice several dogs missing on CL here in tulsa.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 pm

This could be true too. We're notorious for Coyotes, and Mountain Lions here in Nevada.
One time on our walk down by the river a little old man and his poodle got attacked by a coyote. It was scary, the old man was ok, but the poodle was bitten pretty severly.

Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

ljelgin wrote:
There have been a lot of foxes and coyotes sighting in our area could some of these be getting loose and the foxes or coyotes getting them. I know that people with small dogs need to be careful with them around coyotes and foxes.

I did notice several dogs missing on CL here in tulsa.

That could be the case for few dogs but all the dogs in this area that are missing are pure breed dogs. I'm don't think a coyote cares about that. lol! People make me sick! This world is so sad anymore, it's a share that we have to go to such lengths to protect our pets. Sad
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:42 pm

I actually know someone whose dog was almost kidnapped in their front yard while she was watching. She has a little Chihuahua that she would let use the bathroom in the front yard, and he'd like to go close to the road. A van sped up out of nowhere, opened the door and tried to reach out and grab him up. She called him back to her at just the right time and screamed at the people. They drove off, but since then she always has him on leash to take him out to potty.

I really wonder where these dogs go. There is no way that this many pets are used as bait dogs in fighting rings, at least I hope dog fighting hasn't gotten so large and out of hand that they need to stoop this low. Potentially someone getting dogs to breed? But you can't tell if a female has been spayed as easier as you can tell if the male has been neutered or not. I know free dogs on craigslist are said to get bought up by animal testing labs.

It's something when an animal gets loose and gets lost that way, but beyond horrible that people are actually breaking into others yards and taking beloved pets. We don't have issues with Coyotes or foxes here. It's extremely rare for one to be spotted within city limits. I hope who ever is doing things like this are actually caught, and get whats coming to them.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Some are sold to research. Some are used as bait for fighting. Some intact ones probably wind up as breeders in puppy mills. Some are probably "flipped" (I am very suspicious of a lot of CL ads for this reason). Some are probably just disposed of out of pure meanness.
Back in my hometown there was a rash of poisonings. I never ever leave my dogs outside unattended. I don't care how "secure" and escape proof my yard is; there are too many bad people out there. I learned that the hard way when I was 13 and someone killed Moose, my Dane.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 pm

We don't get too much of that stuff here where I live but I'm always vigilant and I am very very protective of my son lol.
I had a very creepy guy one night on our walk ask me if my dog was purebred and that he wanted him so much, where do I live and all kinds of really really personal questions a stranger would never ask ask. I told him nothing and pretty much stated if he was thinking of taking my dog I would take his life and destroy everything he holds dear to him and not shed a tear.

Have not seen him since and he was definitely not a regular in our neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 5:36 pm

I miss my lab for this reason, well for one of the reason ..there are many. But he looked mean and barked like a monster. People were scared of him(only people that didn't know the teddy bear)...you come up to my house and he was at the door or window making his presence known. No one would have the balls to try to take him....even though in reality he would have licked their face off and maybe bruised them from his powerful tail that never missed it mark LOL...with Nanook I do not feel as confident (yet). So far we have only gone walking around the block so I know 90% of the people that approach us but the other day while we were walking someone stopped in their car to tell me how beautiful he was and how they would love a husky...made me so nervous! Turns out they just rented the house on the next block over and I am sure to see them around but at the time I DID NOT KNOW THAT and I had some stranger stopping in a car to admire my dog. There are all kinds of missing dogs on craigslist, you never know what is going to happen.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I get very uncomfortable when people ask what I paid for Lola. Makes me think they want to take her and sell her. The best answer that I have figured out is to tell them that she is from the dog pound.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm

We have had similar problems in our area but they are targeted specifically at siberian husky's. It has gotten so bad my vet gave me a pamphlet with the following info to keep Saphire and I safe:

1. Never leave your dog outside unattended.

2. Make sure your fence is secure. Lock gates when possible. Do a quick walk around the yard before letting your dog out.

3. Check leashes and collars regularly to ensure that they are secure.

4. Never tell people whom you meet on a walk that she is a siberian husky tell them she is a mix breed.

5. Never tell people whom you meet on a walk where you live. If someone is following you keep walking to a business and step inside to ask for help or, in the alternative, call 911 and keep walking toward a busy business area or street.

6. Carry pepper spray, mace or some other kind of deterent spray and your cell phone when walking your dog.

7. Make sure others know where you are walking. If possible use the buddy system otherwise stay in well traveled areas.

8. Try not to walk your dog at night. If you must, pick a well lit area.

9. If your dog disappears notify the police, local vets (all of them not just yours), animal control and the animal shelter. If your dog is microchipped provide them with your name, telephone number, dogs name, and microchip number.

10. Keep a current photo of your dog to show to the police, neighbors, vets, etc. in the event your dog goes missing.

Some of them seem like common sense and some seem a little silly but I figured it was worth passing along.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

bellecma wrote:
I get very uncomfortable when people ask what I paid for Lola. Makes me think they want to take her and sell her. The best answer that I have figured out is to tell them that she is from the dog pound.

I had this happen today. I was waiting for my youngest daughter to get off the school bus when a lady pulls up (I've never seen her before). She asked me how many puppies I had, I told her I only had the one and she wanted to know how much I paid for her and where I got her. She said that her grandchildren want a husky puppy and they haven't been able to find one. I told her Peaches was free because she is a mix breed. I hate to flat out lie to people but I didn't know her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dognappers...this is getting out of hand   Dognappers...this is getting out of hand Empty

Back to top Go down

Dognappers...this is getting out of hand

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next