It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog First Aid Kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Dog First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Dog First Aid Kit   Dog First Aid Kit EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:54 pm

A couple of years ago, we went through a few weeks of constant injury with the dogs. Bubba had a cyst that burst and got infected, Sioux cut the side of a rear leg on an axe, Coco sliced the big pad of a front paw terribly on some ice and Tambi broke a metacarpal jumping out of my arms. It was during this two month span that experience taught us a lot about dog first aid. I spent $75 of Christmas money on the initial supplies that our cabinets were sorely lacking. That coupled with an eight hour pet first aid seminar gave me the knowledge I needed in stocking a top notch first aid kit geared towards dogs and usable for people as well. Even well traveled outdoor trails can turn unpredictable in moments.

• Water proof container
• Gauze sponges
• Triple antibiotic ointment
• Rubbing alcohol
• Ear syringe
• Saline solution with no additives
• Ace self-adhering athletic bandage -- three-inch width
• Vaseline type jelly
• Eye wash
• Sterile, non-adherent pads
• Pepto Bismol tablets
• Benadryl capsules - 25mg, for allergies
• Hydrocortisone cream
• Gauze bandage
• Aspirin
• Dermicil hypoallergenic cloth tape one inch by 10 yards
• Hydrogen peroxide
• Kaopectate tablets maximum strength
• Bandage scissors
• Custom splints
• Tweezers
• Muzzle
• Hemostats
• Sutures
• Latex gloves
• Liquid bandage
• Iodine swabs
• Iodine wipes
• Activated charcoal
• Maxi pads (they're very absorbent and can be used to help slow bleeding before applying gauze)
• Skin stapler
• Canine nail trimmer
• Human nail trimmer
• Dog boots
• Bag Balm
• Extra leash
• Baster/syringe with no needle
• Scrap pieces of denim
• Nylon rope
• Lighter
• Duct tape
• Coagulant
• Nylon fabric or sacrificial coat that can be tied and used as a stretcher if needed.

There are probably a few items that I'm missing here, and I will add/edit this as time goes on. For now that gives you a very clear idea of the contents that make up a serious first aid kit. For the most part I've left the usage of the items blank. It's something you should Google, talk to your vet about and in general learn about. Having these things with you means nothing if you haven't associated their uses with the proper situations. That call is made on the spot, familiarize yourself with first aid in a broader sense.

Feel free to ask me questions or join in with your own tips/revisions/experience. Keep in mind this kit is meant to combine human and canine needs to conserve pack weight where possible.

This site has many links and a lot of good information that seems to match up with the seminar I took.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_FirstAid.php
Back to top Go down
SiberianHuskySibhee
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

Dog First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog First Aid Kit   Dog First Aid Kit EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:13 am

That's really helpful. Being prepared is always the best thing to prevent anything bad.
Back to top Go down
ivyjeanholland
Newborn
Newborn

Dog First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog First Aid Kit   Dog First Aid Kit EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'm terrified of my Paris getting hurt so this is something I will put together right away. After her allergic reaction scare a couple of years ago I've had nightmares about her getting hurt. This will definitely help ease my nerves!
Back to top Go down
clicklouj
Puppy
Puppy
clicklouj

Female Join date : 2015-09-22

Dog First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog First Aid Kit   Dog First Aid Kit EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Wow, thanks for this! Smile
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Dog First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog First Aid Kit   Dog First Aid Kit EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:30 am

Good list I really like it. I need to get a better travel first aid kit.

Things I use or would add are.
imodium
Blanket or dog coat
ear cleaner
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Dog First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog First Aid Kit   Dog First Aid Kit Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog First Aid Kit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-