It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share
 

 Allergies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
athenalove
Newborn
Newborn
athenalove

Female Join date : 2013-03-16

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello Again!

So over the past few days, I've noticed that Athena has been frequently making a snorting-type noise from her nose (one she never really made before) and is sneezing often. Is it common for puppies (Athena is 7 months old) to have spring allergies? If so, is there anything I can do?
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06
Location : Seattle, WA

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Yeah, dogs can have allergies. I knew a Border Collie named Tadpole who would get horrible hay fever. We just excercised him indoors. I see childrens benadryl used all the time to fight allergy symptoms in dogs though. Best option is always to ask a vet though.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29
Location : Broken Arrow, OK

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Kerian's eyes have been draining alot now that spring is here. The vet took an chest xray of her last year and diagnoised her with asthma. I think it is a combination of allergies and asthma that causes her problems.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03
Location : Buffalo, NY

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Could be allergies, but the snorting you're referring to could also be a reverse sneeze. I suggest googling it or watching vids on youtube to see if this might be what Athena is doing. There are a few threads here too about the topic. You should be able to find them if you put reverse sneeze in the search box. It's very common and not a problem. My girl seems to do it most when she is excited.
Back to top Go down
athenalove
Newborn
Newborn
athenalove

Female Join date : 2013-03-16

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Thank you Jill! I googled reverse-sneezing and this is the noise she is making! Phew! So Athena is essenitally sneezing regularly and reversely. I've also noticed it is more frequent outside or right when we come back in from outside, so I'm assuming she has spring allergies.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21
Location : Chicago, IL

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Lola was making a sneezing noise when we got her. It usually happened when she was excited. I actually videoed it on my iPad and brought it with to the vets office in case she didn't do it when we were there. Showed the vet the video and she thought she had an upper respiratory track infection. She took steroids for a couple weeks and an antibiotics. It went away.
Back to top Go down
ZeusFamily
Newborn
Newborn
ZeusFamily

Male Join date : 2013-03-25
Location : Binghamton, New York

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:38 am

I noticed that Zeus started doing this the other night when my girlfriend had a vanilla incense burning. About 5 minutes after we put it out, he stopped. We were curious and wondering if that's what it was so we burned it again. Sure enough, he started sneezing and snorting again. Once it was out though again, he was absolutely fine. I was aware that dogs could have allergies, but I've never known any to be allergic to incense or candles.

Just find out what is making him do this, and try to eliminate it somehow. Does it only happen outside? If it does, Your Vet should be able to find a solution, or at least a way to sooth the problem to help Athena be more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Santa Cruz, California

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 pm

@ZeusFamily wrote:
I noticed that Zeus started doing this the other night when my girlfriend had a vanilla incense burning. About 5 minutes after we put it out, he stopped. We were curious and wondering if that's what it was so we burned it again. Sure enough, he started sneezing and snorting again. Once it was out though again, he was absolutely fine. I was aware that dogs could have allergies, but I've never known any to be allergic to incense or candles.

Just find out what is making him do this, and try to eliminate it somehow. Does it only happen outside? If it does, Your Vet should be able to find a solution, or at least a way to sooth the problem to help Athena be more comfortable.

I think you are confusing allergy with irritant. Allergies involve the eosinophils (which are a white blood cell). When people, or dogs, have an allergy, those specific WBC go haywire, causing, in dogs, licking of the paws, itching of the sides of the belly, ear infections, etc. Dog allergies usually don't show themselves through the respiratory tract, like in people. I know when someone is wearing Tommy Girl perfume, it makes me sneeze, I'm not allergic to it, but it is an irritant to me (it is not prolonged after the irritant is gone). With allergies, it usually will persist even when the allergic component is gone.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
athenalove
Newborn
Newborn
athenalove

Female Join date : 2013-03-16

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the distinction Hypers987! Athena typically has been sneezing outside or right after coming in from outside. Maybe something in the air is irritating her? It has actually reduced a fair amount this week.
Back to top Go down
ZeusFamily
Newborn
Newborn
ZeusFamily

Male Join date : 2013-03-25
Location : Binghamton, New York

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:49 am

@hypers987 wrote:
@ZeusFamily wrote:
I noticed that Zeus started doing this the other night when my girlfriend had a vanilla incense burning. About 5 minutes after we put it out, he stopped. We were curious and wondering if that's what it was so we burned it again. Sure enough, he started sneezing and snorting again. Once it was out though again, he was absolutely fine. I was aware that dogs could have allergies, but I've never known any to be allergic to incense or candles.

Just find out what is making him do this, and try to eliminate it somehow. Does it only happen outside? If it does, Your Vet should be able to find a solution, or at least a way to sooth the problem to help Athena be more comfortable.

I think you are confusing allergy with irritant. Allergies involve the eosinophils (which are a white blood cell). When people, or dogs, have an allergy, those specific WBC go haywire, causing, in dogs, licking of the paws, itching of the sides of the belly, ear infections, etc. Dog allergies usually don't show themselves through the respiratory tract, like in people. I know when someone is wearing Tommy Girl perfume, it makes me sneeze, I'm not allergic to it, but it is an irritant to me (it is not prolonged after the irritant is gone). With allergies, it usually will persist even when the allergic component is gone.

Hm. I never knew that! I had always thought the sneezing and snorting (even from past dogs) were allergies.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 am

What we use for allergies:

http://www.herbsmithinc.com/Home/Canine/Herbs/ClearAllerQi/default.asp

Works like a charm!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
What we use for allergies:

http://www.herbsmithinc.com/Home/Canine/Herbs/ClearAllerQi/default.asp

Works like a charm!
Megan,
Do you know if this would work on a dog with severe seasonal allergies where the dog will itch himself to where he's bleeding? If yes, I'd like to suggest this to a friend who has tried practically everything! Her dog is fine during late fall through winter but when early spring hits, he starts up and goes through summer.


_________________
Allergies? 41765413
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Yes! I use it for Delilah for that because I was dosing her conventional meds and was tired of putting things into her body like that - this stuff works great. It's not instantaneous but it will work fully after a few weeks. To relieve itching I used a spray of ACV and Coconut oil, slightly warmed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm

thanks Megan!

_________________
Allergies? 41765413
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:08 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
To relieve itching I used a spray of ACV and Coconut oil, slightly warmed.
How much do you dilute ACV with water? Or do you mix ACV and coconut oil?
Thanks!

_________________
Allergies? 41765413
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 pm

I usually use:

1 Tsp of ACV 1 Tsp of Coconut oil (slightly melted) and 1 cup of Warm Water. Adjust as necessary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks Megan!!

_________________
Allergies? 41765413
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm

No problem!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content




Allergies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Allergies?   Allergies? Empty

Back to top Go down
 

Allergies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Rhume des foins, pollen & co
» Dining at CSR with food allergies
» Allergies/Hayfever
» 'TIS THE SEASON....ALLERGIES

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Training-