It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laurnerox1
Newborn
Newborn
laurnerox1

Female Join date : 2013-03-15

11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) Empty
PostSubject: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey all,
I'm new here, just been browsing the forums for a couple weeks but this is my first post.
I have a 2 yr old Alaskan Husky/Timber Wolf mix (spayed female) and an 11 wk old husky/malamute mix (male). The older one came from a puppy mill type setting and is more of the scared/submissive type. But she is very mellow and well behaved with me, my 3 yr old, and our cat. We often go to the beach and she is off leash and has never run off, even in my driveway she will stay next to me if a dog walks by. The puppy came from a dog rescue and was born in the shelter after they seized the mom from a bad home. I got him when he was 8 wks.
Immediately when we brought puppy - Jago - home, Brooks welcomed him and butt up in the air wanted to play with him. To my eye, Brooks is being very well behaved with the puppy. When she plays she uses her mouth but not her teeth, mainly pushes him around with her body and sometimes her paws. When he yelps she backs off. Her body is loose (not stiff) and tail is either middle or up. Everything she does in my opinion (and 3 other family members) is not aggressive.
However, the puppy... I'm hoping this is just puppy play and he will grow out of it... But, the puppy gets so worked up during play he gnaws on Brooks' throat and ears and tail and will get the back of her neck and grab fur and shake his head around like a great white shark. If she knocks him on his side after he's worked up then he raises his lips scrunches his nose (wrinkled nose) and his tail is in between his legs, he starts growling and snapping LOUD like an alligator! At this point he just keeps chomping and chomping away at anything. When I try to intervene (I stay calm and just make my "eh" sound) Brooks stops right away and lies down but the puppy just keeps biting at anything around, whether it be Brooks, a blanket, or ME! We do have the nipping issue still, but I'm blaming it on "puppy" time and that he will learn. But there are times where, whether it be play or just cuddle time if I put him on his back 4 times out of 10 he will start squirming and biting and growling and yelping bloody murder. Other times he lets me rub his belly calmly. Note - I dont put him on his back as a submissive punishment type thing, just to get him used to being in all positions.
I know huskys play rough and I know puppies bite. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I also know that some people say give the dog a toy to chew on if he bites you but I've always wondered...isn't that praising/rewarding him for the behavior he just did? After dogs do what they want people give them a treat/toy, so how is re-directing their teething with a toy any different?

Any suggestions? Is this raising lips thing something to stop or just let the dogs work it out? In another week or two I will let him romp with my friends 4 month old rottie female. Hopefully she'll teach him right & wrong too.
When should I stop play? What should I do when he bites me? What are the warning signs I should look for when it comes to an aggressive puppy?
I've only had 2 dogs before, never an adult with a puppy. I got my older one at 14 weeks and this is my first time with a puppy this young so I'm learning still Smile
Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Sound's like typical Husky play to me. Mine look like they are trying to eat one another alive and do the whole head shaking thing with the other's fur/fat in their mouth. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you honestly feel you need to step in and trust me, you'll know! Mine play really rough together and I believe that's just how the breed is. Smile
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm

I think Brooks will eventually teach him a lesson and let him know when enough is enough. And that's ok! Might be just what the lil guy needs.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Sounds like play to me. My girls show teeth all the time while playing and also grab fur and limbs and just shake away. Here's a video for better reference.

Mine can get pretty nasty sounding sometimes, lol. But it's all in good play. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Yep, I say typical play. When Sheba was a puppy, she was a hellian. She terrorized my Kennedy, who like your girl, is very mellow and just wanted to play. Kennedy let her get away with until Sheba hit about 6-7 months and then she let her have it. It was a little touch and go for awhile after Kennedy decided Sheba was old enough to learn, but everything is okay now. Based on my experience, she may let him get away with until she has had enough or she decides he is old enough to be taught.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, honestly. Huskies play very rough, it's just what they do. It seems scary to us at times, but it's all noise, usually.

As for the back growling, being on their back to a dog is a very unnatural position. Just keep working on it. Sheba is just now accepting of me lifting up her lips and brushing her teeth. I have worked on that with her since she was a little puppy, and she was never okay with it, until like 9 months later. Just keep working on it and don't baby him when he freaks out.

Good luck and I can't wait to see some pictures!! Wink .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

I call that creepy teeth. Cato used to do it and at first I was nervous but ow we just laugh at it. I have some retry funny pictures.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm with everyone else. This sounds like play. Let them work it out and try not to stop it unless you are concerned one of them will really truly honestly get hurt.

As for putting teeth on you. There are some great posts here about teaching bite inhibition that can provide some helpful guideance in that department.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I agree that this sounds like play. Adult dogs often show a degree of 'puppy licence' and let puppies get away with things that they wouldn't tolerate from an older dog, and it sounds like Brooks is showing this.

You are right that puppies need to learn how to be handled, as this is so important later (especially at the vet). However if you put him on his back and he is squirming and screaming, then he isn't getting used to it but learning to hate it more. It's better to take a more gentle, persuasive approach to getting puppies used to being handled.

Teaching bite inhibition is really important. If you look at the http://www.dogstardaily.com/ website, there is a lot of advice on raising a puppy, including a section on teaching bite inhibition. Or you could search the forums here. There's also a great new book out called Life Skills for Puppies that you might like to take a look at. I look forward to seeing more pictures of both Brooks and the puppy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
laurnerox1
Newborn
Newborn
laurnerox1

Female Join date : 2013-03-15

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm

thanks everyone for your replies! I'm taking them to heart Smile I'm glad I'm 'letting it go' for now, I just needed reassurance, which you gave thank goodness! I posted in the new members part of the forum with a bunch of pictures.
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t9047-jago-brooks-from-norcal-pic-heavy#142087
As far as the on the back thing, it doesnt happen all the time. But when there are the times that he does squirm, I dont want him to learn that squirming gets away with it, so how should I handle it? I will check out the websites reccommended. But should I just let him go to his side, but not run away right away? Make him settle down first, but be okay not on his back? Most of the time he is okay, but just for the occasions where he isn't...
Thanks again everyone, looking forward to chatting more!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Think of it this way, you are not trying to show him that you are the boss and can do anything you like to him; you are training him to like being handled so that he isn't frightened by it. I don't really know when a dog needs to be on its back? (maybe for some medical exams, but not commonly). But definitely get him used to the things a vet will do regularly, like feel his paws and his tummy, open his mouth and look at his teeth, look in his ears, and have him stand on a table like at the vet. Do these things gradually and gently with lots of rewards for his cooperation.

Thanks for the link to the picture thread. He is a gorgeous puppy! And I love all your pack, including the cat - it's great photo of the cat and puppy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)   11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!) Empty

Back to top Go down

11 wk old puppy showing teeth (a lot!)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1