It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recently added a new family member - a few questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZeusFamily
Newborn
Newborn
ZeusFamily

Male Join date : 2013-03-25

Recently added a new family member - a few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Hello, first a little about myself - and my family. My name is Chris. I am 22 years old, I have a very steady job where I am currently on track for advancement. I have owned 2 dogs in the past - one a child hood friend, and another was an older small mix breed dog that I inherited when a family friend passed away. My first dog unfortunately passed away due to cancer when I was 14, and my second dog passed away after a long and loving life (I only had him for 8 months after his original owner passed away, the dog was 15 years old when it passed). Needless to say, I still don't believe I have a whole lot of experience with training dogs, despite being around them my whole life.

I have a two year old daughter, and a wonderful girlfriend. We recently wished to add a new family member when we came across an older couple with Husky pups. Not only are huskies extremely cute, but we were also aware that with the right training they are the most loyal dogs you could come across. So, to shorten this up, we ended up bringing home a 7 week old Husky pup - I was hesitant on bringing him home so early because I know they really should stay with their mother and litter until 8 weeks of age. However, what's done is done and quite frankly, I am happy that I was able to get the puppy out of where he was - in other words, I wasn't impressed with the conditions. We named our puppy Zeus.

I've been on these forums about 2 weeks now, just joined though tonight. A few things that you folks may be able to help me with on here though that I couldn't really find - and I've done so much reading online the past few days.

I've come to notice that Zeus is more often interested in just being left alone. He likes going under the bed, or into a corner and just going to sleep. The sleep part I am totally aware is normal, but is it normal for Husky pups to want to be off on their own instead of sticking right to your side? I'm just worried that he isn't fond of us in general. If this is something normal, is there any way of knowing when he will show his true personality?

Zeus also had some mild aggression with the food dish. I actually found a great thread on here about how to fix this by making him earn his food as opposed to just giving it to him. Been doing this for two days, so far, there has been a LOT of improvement.

One thing I've been having trouble with is the leash. He hates the leash. How long is a normal time frame for the puppy to get used to the leash? He's been on it every time he goes outside for 5 days now. He doesn't like it at all. He fusses and tries to bite at it. Or he pulls on the leash and basically tries to choke himself with the collar. He squeals loud when that happens and it makes us feel pretty terrible. I don't want to hurt the little guy, but at the same time, I know I can't let him get his way when he does that. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 pm

I think some huskies are just more aloof and independent. My friends female really doesn't seek out attention much at all but is a wonderful dog. She just doesn't fawn over people the ay a golden retreiver might and I don't think it's abnormal for huskies. On the flip side there are plenty that love attention too. Sounds like yours is just a bit more independent right now.

Also I'd focus on positive reinforcement with the leash. Just letting him get used to it while having play time and giving treats. Maybe try redirecting puppy's attention when he bites at it by making noises or trading the leash for a toy he can chew on. Five days isn't abnormal. IDE give it some more time Smile
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 pm

If the dog is choking itself with the leash/collar combo, maybe try a harness that connects to the leash at the chest instead of the throat. Granted, each harness might only last a few months as he grows, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 3:06 am

Huskies, in general, are not really "loyal" dogs.. They are loyal to anyone and everyone, but not normally one specific person. Huskies love all people..doesn't matter who you are. They are not a "one man" dog if that is the kind of loyal you are going for. They are intelligent and normally like to do their own thing, not follow their owner around day and night. Some huskies are like that, but as a general thing.....no not really.

Lots of owners have felt at one time or another that their puppies don't like them (me included), but it's just what they do. They will go off and do their own thing, come in and check on you and maybe give you a kiss, and then go off and do their own thing again. It's just what they do! Smile . Don't worry about it.

Have you started leash training at all? Or have you just been taking him out?? I suggest getting him a cheap harness until you have him trained to not pull himself silly on the leash. Google is your BEST friend.

While this site is an AMAZING resource for any and all things Siberian, make sure you do lots of other research. Books, magazines, other internet sources.. Siberians are a breed like no other, and it is helpful to feel like you aren't in over your head all the time. Laughing .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
ZeusFamily
Newborn
Newborn
ZeusFamily

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 7:19 pm

I may very well consider getting a harness. I just hate that he chokes himself up like that. He's such a loveable dog though, other than the nipping which is normal, my daughterand girlfriend love him!
Back to top Go down
ZeusFamily
Newborn
Newborn
ZeusFamily

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I can't believe how quickly he has already improved. He's starting to come around and warm up to us a lot more in just the matter of two days. I brought him to play with my friends new puppy and he loved it. After that, he's wanted to spend a lot more time around me, my girlfriend and my daughter.

Even walking him on the leash is getting easier, I just stuck to it. I haven't invested to the harness, he still pulls back once in a while, but he's starting to get it now.
Back to top Go down
rachm408
Newborn
Newborn
rachm408

Female Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 am

Gahh he's so cute! I love the way they look after baths.
Back to top Go down
ZeusFamily
Newborn
Newborn
ZeusFamily

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 am

Recently added a new family member - a few questions. 553082_4574273764161_739137166_n
Recently added a new family member - a few questions. 579240_4574274044168_1253650455_n

Recently added a new family member - a few questions. 545451_4574275404202_910092700_n

Pictures are from my phone, so they're a little blurry. With rewarding him his food and everything, he's already got the "sit" command figured out pretty much. I can't believe how fast/easy he is training now that he's finally getting used to us all and his new home. He's so smart!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recently added a new family member - a few questions.   Recently added a new family member - a few questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Recently added a new family member - a few questions.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1