It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

husky Rescues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskieSpirit09
Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

Female Join date : 2013-03-25

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm

I couldn't fine anything about this or i just didn't look far enough into the Topics but here it goes:
Whats the Pro and Cons of getting a husky from one of the those?
What should i look for in husky?
What would be a Red flagged when it comes to getting dog from them?
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 pm

We adopted a husky, in December, from county animal control. He was on their euthanasia, essentially because he growled at another dog during their evaluation. As a result, he was labeled as "pet aggressive". We are currently dog-sitting our neighbor's dog, which weighs about 15 pounds, as opposed to Storm's 52. He's gotten along with every dog he's met so far. No experience with cats.

Any responsible rescue is not going to adopt out a dog with health issues, at least not without telling you up front. But, make sure you have your vet examine the dog as soon as you can. Most rescues will also probably require a home visit and evaluation prior to adopting the dog.

I don't think there is any way to tell how a dog, any dog, will behave once you get him home. I would think, however, that a rescue dog, regardless of breed, would be more likely to present challenges. That said, I think that with enough time, patience and attention, most challenges can be overcome. Just be ready and know what the potential is.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 pm

This is all over the forum, most of us had adopted huskies Smile
Only reason to not adopt and get a puppy, you have cats or small pets, but even then its not 100% that dog will not have a pray drive for your other pets. I think rescues are great, you give a dog a 2nd chance, being in a rescue they should be in foster care so you have a good chance of getting a dog to fit ur life

Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Bella was a give away in the paper per Craig's List. Fargo was from the pound. Lola our current husky was adopted from a Northern breed specific rescue. Bella was one of the best dogs ive ever had. Completely trained and i even was given her papers. Fargo was a separation anxiety case and we got a trainer to work it out. My heart broke when he passed. Lola had never been walked on a leash and we were told she got along with other dogs but she can be aggressive.

Adopting from the rescue was interesting because your home is inspected and we did several interviews on the phone. They did call all three of my references too. Plus we had to sign a contract. We agreed not to have her off leash in a no fenced area. We have to use a restraint beyond the pet divider in our car. It even spells out who will own Lola if my husband and I divorce! They really want owners dedicated to keeping the dog. I would adopt from them again.
Back to top Go down
HuskieSpirit09
Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Isn't hard to adopted a dog when you live in an apartment?
Ill have at least a puppy when i do get a rescue just want to make sure i can get a Dog that gets along with my puppy as well. I looked up available husky rescues at my near by rescue center they look so playful there is this one husky but I'm not sure about it cause its only got one eye.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 pm

We Got Blaze off of Craigslist a small rehoming fee He has been a great dog. He is very laid back and a bit aloof.

Kerian came from a shelter 4 hours from our home she was in Missouri had been the the shelter for about a month. She had been adopted out and come back because she played too rough with the peoples other dog. They charged us 25.00 for her because the people that first adopted her had paid for her spay. She is a great dog a bit more hyper than Blaze which seems to balance things out pretty good in our home. Kerian is also a love bug which is nice because Blaze is not one.

Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 am

I would definitely recommend checking rescues first! Rescued dogs can be the best dogs!!

However, many dogs are in the rescue for a reason. In the case of huskies, it tends to be escaping, high prey drive, destructive behavior, etc. Basically all the stuff huskies do that people who get them because they're pretty weren't prepared to deal with! I would take a good look at your household and lifestyle, then ask a lot of questions about the dog you're interested in.
Back to top Go down
HuskieSpirit09
Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 am

Yeah i want this rescue from the place near me but I'm just not sure if something is going to go wrong cause of it only having one eye.I think its the most beautifulest calm looking dog i seen and i really want her but I'm just not sure about there is going to be a lot of vet bill will go along with her cause of having only one eye.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 am

Why would a dog with one eye warrant more vet bills??

Lot's of dogs get eyes removed for one reason or another, like an infection gone untreated for instance. You remove the infected eye, no more infection. Which means no more vet bills for the highly infected eye. It's just a pup getting a leg removed and becoming a tripod.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
HuskieSpirit09
Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am

If you put it that way I might get that one cause the other day i went to the rescue place they had her and she is such a sweet heart, I think everyone on here would love her just I have would have to keep her away from my little sister until she is a little older but not that big of a deal.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm

sometimes the "off" dogs turn out to be the best pets cause you picked them out and gave them another shot and they know that! so what if she has one eye, if everything was taken care of in the removal she should be healthy. what is her age? how little is your sis?

Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:46 pm

I think the husky is 3 or 4 years old and female and my sister just turned 2 years old.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I think you can teach you sister to be careful and also the husky can be taught to be easy around you sister. We were able to get our Husky to be gentle when my mother-in-law stayed with us for a couple weeks she is 85 years and not in great health.

Back to top Go down
HuskieSpirit09
Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm

That is true i just can't choose between these two dogs: Leia husky Rescues Ut123_11
Kirra husky Rescues Ut123_12
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Aw if it was me I probably would have both.. lol!
Back to top Go down
HuskieSpirit09
Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I might do that instead of getting a puppy
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm

They're both gorgeous but I have a soft spot for what other people would consider "dysfunctional" animals, even if there is nothing really wrong with them, so if were me I'd go with Kirra. Since you also said she's more gentle she'd probably do really well with the young child too.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm

HuskieSpirit09 wrote:
I might do that instead of getting a puppy
for me adoption is WAY better then a puppy! my 2 have so much love for me people swear i have had them their whole life, the whole i raised it from a puppy is over rated in my book.

Leia's coat looks a hair long (woolly) maybe?
Kirra looks a sweet as can be!
im a sucker for reds so i would do both but i would got for kirra for her look and the temperament you talk about. since she is getting out of her teenage yrs thats the best time for them!

Newborn
Newborn
HuskieSpirit09

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I love red huskies that's what my friend has is a red husky
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm

They're both gorgeous! Woolies do have some extra maintenance (if Leia is a wooly) - we volunteered with a husky rescue to brush their dogs and had to cut out some knots in the woolies. I'm sure someone here with a wooly will pipe up with tips, if needed.

Definitely go for temperament! We adopted Chili at 4 years old and he has been a dream! Great with kids, in fact we just graduated our first set of kids from the reading dog program that helps them increase their reading levels! Good luck, rescue is so rewarding and I can also second Jen on saying that no one would ever know we didn't have our two since puppies - they are so attached to us!
Back to top Go down
Sasha's Mom
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-04-01

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Our Sasha was off Craigslist her owner couldn't afford to feed her anymore and was giving her away we have only had her a few days but she is a great dog! Our Great Dane was a rescue as well from petfinder I personally like not having to deal with puppy issues of house breaking eye. Sasha is 11 months and Jaeger was 16 months when we adopted him both are amazing pets Smile
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Bodhi is a rehome.
Somebody gave him back to his breeder, but first they devocalized him. Crying or Very sad
He is such a loving, friendly dog, that I can't believe someone surrendered him.
I agree with Jen that sometimes dogs who have been abused or hurt are grateful to find a home where humans are kind.
They are so loyal as a result.
Loyal, as long as they are on a leash!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

husky Rescues Empty
PostSubject: Re: husky Rescues   husky Rescues Empty

Back to top Go down

husky Rescues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1