It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flying with your Dog!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyLove
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyLove

Female Join date : 2013-02-02

Flying with your Dog!? Empty
PostSubject: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Im a very experienced traveller, but never with animals. I am taking my Dakota with me on a 2.5 week vacation to visit my family in Canada, Im very excited for everyone to see my baby girl Dakota.

Im nervous about Dakota being on a plane for a long time. The flight is 2 flight each way (approx 9-10 hrs total flying time), and she will be in the cargo area b/c she is too big to come on with me (I wish I could sneak her on haha lol).

she is good in her kennel, I will have her travel one set up soon, and have her sleep in it to get her used to it for the flight.

Ive read no sedations should be used, and that you should leave food and water in the kennel... but other than that I am not sure what I can/should do.

was wondering if any of you have had your pup's in a flight and anything suggestions you have to help make it better for her.

Im a little nervous about the whole trip, more so how she will be handled and treated (im sure she will be howling for a while)
Back to top Go down
HermesHaven
Newborn
Newborn
HermesHaven

Female Join date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:27 pm

How old is she?
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 pm

I was thinking the same thing for Meeka. Would love to take her to Nicaragua but since you are taking a animal internationally I wonder what paperwork work we would need?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLove
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyLove

Female Join date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 3:41 pm

She will be 6 months when we fly... from all info I got you just need a copy from a vet saying she had all her shots, including rabies and a health certificate (which I already have).
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 pm

JUST got mine last night from a flight. I'm not even sure if he was used to a kennel before he flew from the breeders to us.

I won't lie, Kouda was terrified when he came to us... he was also on a flight almost nearly as long (there was a layover), but, he was also coming to people who he didn't know. Not only that, but he's only 8 weeks!

I know your baby will be fine. Smile Yes that's right, too--leave food and water for him! Only a bit, of course. Kouda had some with him as well.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Please do not fly with your dog in cargo for a simple vacation. Your dog will be much safer and better off left in the care of someone or boarded while you travel versus the strain of flying. Not only is that a very long trip for your dog but also extremely stressful and potentially dangerous. I would never recommend flying a pet in cargo unless absolutely necessary. Vacations are not a good reason for flying a dog. I know you'll want to bring your pup but I strongly advise against it.

If you absolutely feel you must bring your dog, call the airline you are flying and find out exactly everything you will need and what size crate will fit through the cargo doors on all 4 planes you will be flying on.

We flew our sibe from WA to FL and back (4 flights total) for a 2 week vacation before I knew any better. He was okay but I will never do it again and strongly urge you to reconsider flying your pet. I have since learned trade secrets that have made me feel awful for putting my dog through all that just for a simple vacation because I selfishly didn't want to part with him. It is infinitely better to simply board your dog or have someone else watch her.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Just a health certificate, even for international. The thing to keep in mind about air travel with larger pets is the cargo is not pressurized like how you will be traveling. Oxygen levels will be lower and damage to the ear drums are a possible danger. I'm not saying that it will happen, most pets do fine. Just something to keep in mind.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:55 pm

I wish I could bring my Shaqua on the flight with me as well. She's better behaved than half the children and teenagers on the flight...lol!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I personally would never fly with my dogs unless 100% completely necessary. There are just so many things that can go wrong.. Just too scary.

Make sure you are flying with a very reputable airline. I would dig into their history to see if they have had any accidents with pets flying and see what their protocols are with pets. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:27 pm

If you do, zip tie the crate shut (even the door) as much as possible. You don't want some idiot opening up the crate and have your dog running loose around the airport!

Flying with your Dog!? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 pm

When we flew Diamond with us to the 2008 National Specialty (from WA to PA) she did wonderfully, everyone was so friendly to her, I watched every baggage handler smiling and waving at her through the door. Since the health certificate copy had to be visible on top of the crate I made a sign for her as well, since she is deaf there was the added worry if she were to be turned loose- her sign read- "HELLO! My name is Diamond, I am a Siberian Husky, and I am DEAF. Please do not open my crate, I am safest right where I am Thank You!" Also listed emergency contact numbers (mine and my husband's cell numbers as well as the vet). Every flight you need to get the confirmation ticket from the flight attendant, the baggage handlers give the ticket to the flight attendant before doors close to the cabin. Our pilots also made 'special guest announcements' for our special girl Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flying with your Dog!?   Flying with your Dog!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Flying with your Dog!?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1