It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adding a new puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Adding a new puppy? Empty
PostSubject: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 pm

I have been seriously considering the addition of another husky to my family. Right now Shaqua, my almost-11 yr old, is an only dog. She gets along with other dogs just fine, she isn't what you would call a pack leader. She usually becomes the submissive dog when introduced to other dog families. I wanted to get another husky to keep her company when I'm not home, as well as to learn her mannerisms and personalities. She is the perfect dog and I'd love to have another pup learn from her. I know every dog will have their own personality but I know a puppy learns a lot from it's pack.

I was wanting to seek advice on how to introduce a new puppy to the home when the existing dog is older, and what sex of puppy I should get. I have heard that if you have two females they can fight more than if I get a male but I am not sure how accurate that is.

Also, I am looking for a breeder/rescue place where I can get a puppy in the area (Northern MS)
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Pups definitely learn a lot from their pack, Sophie learn a lot of good things from Maya but she also learned how to be a bully from her. Adding a new puppy? 1625187496 Though Maya's been learning things from Kay which is kinda cute.

I have three females and they're a handful, we've had a lot of fights but things have calmed down with time. It really depends on the personality of the dog, you said yours is usually submissive around other dogs so it should be fine.

This is a thread on how to introduce new dogs. https://www.itsahuskything.com/t1023-how-i-introduce-new-dogs Maya is great with puppies and loves them (she's too rough though) so i didn't have to do all that for her.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 pm

I think that getting a puppy is a wonderful idea!! I think puppies learn SO MUCH more from senior dogs then most any other age. I love when families have that big of age difference within the pack. When you see puppies learning from well rounded adults...it's an amazing thing in my opinion.

I have a submissive, happy go lucky, girl. She doesn't give a crap if she is being challenged, she would rather walk away. Now pushed, she will push back. Sheba is a very dominate female who likes to throw her weight around. They have had some spats, especially recently. That may or may not have to do with these two being females or not. Not too sure. I think at this point, you can probably go with whichever puppy seems to fit into your family the most Smile .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 12:19 am

I just added my third dog last week lol. I have a 19 month old female lab, and a 13 month old male husky and now a soon to be 9 week old male husky. I did take Balon with me when we picked out Loki but I don't think it really mattered, he was more interested in their cat, he wanted to play lol. So far so good here, no fights, no real problems of any kind. Once or twice I could tell Balon was getting a little irritated being used as a chew toy, but he barked and growled at Loki and he backed off lol. I also pick him up if I think he's being too much of a brat. The lab is typical lab and loves everyone and everything and likes to cuddle with him, so cute.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 5:25 am

While I think companionship for Siberians is a necessity, I am not sure if I would chance an issue wig my senior dog by adding a puppy. Puppies are stressful an they change the whole enironment. Not to mention, they have a ton of energy and if they are like Cato will bug he heck out of the adult dog. Perhaps rescuing a dog that is older would be more beneficial for your dog? Just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 pm

I announced to friends and family I was thinking about getting a new Siberian husky puppy and I have mostly gotten criticism for thinking about getting a puppy from a breeder and not automatically adopting a rescue dog. Has anyone else had similar criticism? How do you handle it? Is it truly so selfish to want to raise my own puppy? I understand there are lots of dogs out there in need....
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree with Megan about the large age gap. It's not impossible, but definitely think about it. Growing up, my family had a senior dog and decided to get a puppy. The senior dog passed away less than a year later and we ended up feeling bad for making the last few months of his life so stressful with a puppy (definitely NOT implying any causality here though).

As for the criticisms for going through a breeder, that may just be something you deal with. As long as you go through a reputable breeder, you will know in your heart that you did the right thing for your situation. There are puppies in shelters as well. But with the senior dog, I would really consider a little bit older of a dog that is past the puppy crazies.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 am

CavingSiberian- I've gotten the same flack from people when adding new breeder purchased puppies. The thing is I don't care. I have my reasons, main reason being health certainties, second being functionality quality of the dog, and potential show ability. Your reasons for adding are your own and others should respect that, of course suggesting rescue for companions is great, and puppies occasionally end up in rescue situations but if that's not what you want that's ok too. Do your research and be sure you are going to a reputable breeder who knows the breed and is breeding for the right reasons with all the proper health testing performed prior to breeding and you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 am

I do too but personally rescue dogs are way too unpredictable for me. I would definitely consider adopting an 8 week old puppy, but not an older dog. I'm happy with the pack dynamics right now and plus we have a cat that I would never trust with a dog I didn't raise myself and having an older dog come into my home could change everything...

As long as your responsible about the breeder you choose I don't think anyone should, or will critisize you
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 am

I am a big rescue pusher, but I understand that rescue isn't for everyone..as much as I would love it to be Wink . People will always judge, that's just how it is with rescue/breeder. Most people when they think of breeder they think of someone pushing puppies out for money; not a person who works to better a breed and builds their program like it is their baby. Admittedly, I was one of those people until I decided I wanted to get a Spoo puppy from a breeder and before I was on this forum. I still have some battles about how I should just rescue and that there is no reason to buy one.. Sorry I am rambling. Don't worry about what people think. It is your puppy and that is all that matters; provided you go to a reputable breeder.

As for the age gap, IMO it depends on the senior. Some seniors can not handle puppies in any way, shape, or form. Other seniors are like puppies still and do just fine. When you have a senior who is still spry, that's when the magic happens. You know your dog best. You know what she can or can't handle. Follow your heart, but still keep in mind whats best for your senior.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 am

Thank you, everyone, for the advice! It helps out a lot. My dog really still acts like a puppy. In fact I've had many people at the dog park mistake her for a one-year-old. (Which is hilarious, because then I tell them to add 10 more years to that). She is very much my dog and follow me like a shadow but is never possessive of me. She gets along with other dogs, although some do annoy her and then she just growls and walks away. If they bug her too much she will put them in their place but she has never been one to pick a fight. She's quite the submissive type.

She is like a toddler when it comes to toys. I get a new ball, she plays with it for all of 5 minutes, and then she's done. Fetch? Forget it. However, if another dog is playing fetch (like when I bring her to the dog park) she will run and run with them the whole time. She always tries to race them then comes to me for praise, and then she runs some more. It's one of the reasons I would love to get another puppy. If I found a puppy I could train to actually play fetch she would love to just run with them the whole time.

She has quite the unique personality, but I think that's because I'm quite an odd-ball too and I raised her. Ha ha! Some things, like the "Ohh, shiny new toy" and boredom with it a minute later befuddles me, but she's her own quirky self.
Back to top Go down
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 am

It is an excellent idea to bring your existing dog to meet the pup if the breeder allows it. IMHO, it takes a week or two for the existing dog or dogs to realize the new guy is here to stay. I am at a loss how you simulate that. Usually a breeder will agree to take back a puppy but you may forfeit the payment for the privilege. Perhaps you can watch a friend's dog for a few weeks.

We have had a variety of experiences trying to introduce a new dog.
  1. We have two senior dogs and they accepted the most recent pup. It revitalized our Kestrel, who decided he had a new playmate after losing his best dog buddy several years ago.
  2. Some years ago we had a single dog, a Lab mix. We got a Border Collie mix from a local shelter. For the first two weeks the Lab literally wanted to kill the new dog and we had to keep them separated. They soon became best friends and grew old together. It could just have easily gone the other way, and we would have returned the new dog.
  3. We have had both good and terrible experiences introducing a rescue dogs. Some have fallen into the pack like they always belonged. Some rescue dogs waited a day or so, then made it clear they could not tolerate any other dog around them.

I do not usually repeat an entire quote; this one is worth repeating.
Jennet&Embry wrote:
I do too but personally rescue dogs are way too unpredictable for me. I would definitely consider adopting an 8 week old puppy, but not an older dog. I'm happy with the pack dynamics right now and plus we have a cat that I would never trust with a dog I didn't raise myself and having an older dog come into my home could change everything...

As long as your responsible about the breeder you choose I don't think anyone should, or will criticize you

Rescues (differentiated from municipal shelters) make you jump through hoops to qualify for their animals. You should be just as careful about rescue groups! They may be so eager to find a home, they mis-judge their animal. They may give you wrong information or have wrong info on file from the previous owners. Perhaps they do not intend this but double-check all information and don't let your first emotions blind you to the animal's behaviors.

If you sense something off with either a rescue or a breeder, find another. If you think you are a perfect match, step back and try to objectively re-examine it.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Now that I am done doing field research for a good year or so I am super excited to start looking for Shaqua's new baby sister. <3. I've already contacted a couple breeders, one in MO near my family and one in GA to see what they have planned in the near future.

After dog sitting many dogs, all different ages (an 8 week old puppy for a month, another puppy a few months old during the day while their owner is at work, and lots of play time with my BF's 9 month old weimereiner) I can tell Shaqua will handle a new puppy just fine. I think she will be thrilled to have a new sister. (Especially since she will be the "good dog" while the new pup learns boundaries).

I feel like a kid at Christmas.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Lol congrats!! Make sure you keep updates!!
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 3:58 pm

So happy for you, can't wait to see what he/she will look like!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 am

I would say yes to a puppy! I've seen videos of Shaqua and she still acts young I think she would keep up with a pup. I would go male I had to get a female because my male pit is male aggressive. He wasn't to sure about her the first few days and kept trying to sniff her and she kept growling because she was scared. What sealed it for them was the walks, he loves his walks and he learned to just ignore her and when we walked in the house it was like they had been raised around eachother
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 pm

I have 2 seniors and just got husky mix puppy. My lexi is higher energy but I give her breaks from the puppy and will do things that with her only. My male dom is really in his golden years. We give him lots of love and puppy knows he is for cuddle time only. I think puppy perked up lexi and she sounds like your dog in that she is more submissive. I would just make sure to let your older dog have breaks.

Next time I am hoping to add a puppy when loki is more in 3-4 year old range as that seems like better age fit. Good luck in finding a pup! Seeing how much loki loves his grandma and grandpa I think they are meant to have dog companions too.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Congrats!! Can't wait to see pictures!
Back to top Go down
Ryan-5555
Newborn
Newborn
Ryan-5555

Male Join date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 am

I am also consdering this although I am unsure. Sorry for spamming. My dog cody is so obedient well behaved but I would like company for him. My concern is would he feel threatened by giving the new pup attention while training or could I include him he's seven months and we would be getting a female pup
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 am

From what I've learned, Ryan, Cody has yet to go through his teenager phase - my advice would be to wait until he's completely done his teenager phase and then come back to the subject of adding to you pack. That way, you know 100% that your dog will have way more good things to teach the pup than bad things... Also, is Cody fixed? If you're planning on getting a female pup, there could be a chance you might end up with unwanted puppies...

Also, trust me on the waiting thing, I've been there... I almost dropped the ball and got one too, but, at the end of the day I am SOOOOOO happy I waited - Stark is just starting to go into his teenager phase at 15/16 months (usually happens earlier from what I read), and let me tell you, I'm so thankful for the advice I've gotten from these guys... I was all, no, Stark is amazing - he's perfect, right where I want him to be, and he was... he's just... not so much anymore...?

Think about it this way - if you had a very independent and testy teenage kid at home, and you just had another baby... I'd be pulling my hair out too...
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:13 pm

I agree with Angela. I was thinking Shaqua would be jealous, but honestly since I will be crate training and Shaqua is trained well enough that she has free roam of the house I think she will feel like the special one. Plus a trained dog that is past the teenage phase will help keep the young one in line.

However a lot of members here have more than one pup at a time and they seem to do fine. Maybe they can give you some insight.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:19 pm

So, I have been thinking about the name Journey for my next pup, assuming it fits, but some people seem to have their first thoughts about the band. I was meaning Journey as in exploration and adventure..... What do you all think about the name Journey? Shaqua travels with me so my dogs will see a lot of traveling. Shaqua LOVES it. She circles the Jeep anytime I open the front door. I feel it will be fitting but the whole band name is throwing me through a loop...LOL

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm

I like Journey - right now I'm trying to decide myself. I like Finnick and Brando for a boy, but I will probably change my mind 100 times
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I would never have thought of the band, but honestly I'm not really into pop music. I am a jazz nerd. I like the name a lot. :)Megan I like both of your choices, especially Brando. Edit - I'm married to an Italian, so I immediately think of The Godfather.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm

I like Journey too. And the band definitely wasn't the first thing that came to mind, but that may be because I just looked through your 'Joyful Journies' post =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding a new puppy?   Adding a new puppy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding a new puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next