It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

Crate Training - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Has anyone tried a folding crate? I want to get one that I can fit in my car to take when we stay the night places. It would be so embarrassing to have Sky dig up someone's nice lawn while we slept over. And the one time I tried tying her to a stake she flipped out and bent it from pulling so hard! Shocked

I saw this one, and it looks pretty good, but I can't find any reviews on it anywhere, so that makes me wary. Plus, I can't see the latches to see if they're sturdy enough to hold in her in if she has a "husky moment" (as her old vet called it Razz).

http://www.remmeer.com/portable-folding-plastic-wheeled-dog-crates-p-1388.html
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I don't know anything about that crate but if you get it, I would love to hear your review. I would like to get something like this before Husky Camp in September.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 pm

We have a similar soft one as part of the Element Dog kit and used it for New Year's at a friend's house. Of course, Chili is crate trained and super obedient. I imagine Frosti would make short work of it! Wink
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 am

I have one, but have not had the courage to try and leave one of my dogs in it! I just have mine set up in our bedroom because Luka loves to sleep in it! She would rather sleep in there than on our bed. I like that its easy to bring when we stay at a hotel. Gives Lu a place to sleep, and it gives me options in case I have to leave them alone for some reason. Just haven't had a reason to leave them alone yet.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:27 pm

I wish I could trust her with a soft sided one! I think I'd come back to half of it in her belly. XD Yours in the same brand, Melissa? (I can't figure out what brand it is, really. I don't think Remmeer is the brand, and PGI turns up nothing.)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 pm

pixipanda wrote:
Has anyone tried a folding crate? I want to get one that I can fit in my car to take when we stay the night places. It would be so embarrassing to have Sky dig up someone's nice lawn while we slept over. And the one time I tried tying her to a stake she flipped out and bent it from pulling so hard! Shocked

I saw this one, and it looks pretty good, but I can't find any reviews on it anywhere, so that makes me wary. Plus, I can't see the latches to see if they're sturdy enough to hold in her in if she has a "husky moment" (as her old vet called it Razz).

http://www.remmeer.com/portable-folding-plastic-wheeled-dog-crates-p-1388.html
Our regular wire crates fold to that size, maybe even smaller. We take them everywhere with us.

Crate Training - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Mine is made by Guardian Gear. Got it from Pet Edge for a good price.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks, guys! I didn't know the wire ones were easily collapsible like that. We've currently got one of those big, brown plastic ones with the wire door. I'll check the ones out on Pet Edge today. They look a bit more reputable than the first site I looked at.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I have a soft sided collapsible crate for my sibe when we travel. It works great and is much easier to travel with and collapse than our wire crate. It is much much lighter and easier to pack in the car than a wire crate which is totally worth it to me. Only thing though is you'll want to be sure you've got a sibe that is already reliably crate trained BEFORE trying a soft sided crate. Even then I'd introduce it slowly so it doesn't end up in pieces.

Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:47 pm

We're in the market again for a new dog crate... the previous one (which was the first one we started off with) ended up getting destroyed... Roxy is damn stubborn!!! It was an iCrate, and is made by the same company that does Midwest. *sigh*

Has anyone had any experience with "Best Pet" :

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Triple-Door-Suitcase-Style-Folding/dp/B001QXKI16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325040150&sr=8-2

And this one I am kinda sketchy about, but didn't know if anyone else had heard about "Evila" :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-42-Two-Door-Dog-Crate-Cage-Kennel-Metal-Pan-Labrador-Retriever-Boxer-/320819331133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab252803d

The price on the Evila seems far too good to be true, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case anyone had any positive experience with them.

Both of these are an option because they have a metal pan*, which Roxy will be unable to chew through. We have a metal pan now, but it is sooooo heavy and dirty... it's not been sealed, and if needed we can just seal it and get another iCrate locally. But just thinking of some other options if anyone has any feedback.

Last edited by myndsplyntur on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:21 pm

We just ordered one of those airline crates from Amazon - since Frosti has separation anxiety and seems to like them better (we borrowed one from day care to see how it went - after she started rattling her wire crate).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R3J5L0/sr=1-2/qid=1325089172/ref=pop?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1325089172&sr=1-2

It was more than those other wire crate options, but hopefully it lasts. The one we borrowed had numerous visible escape attempts - with no successful ones! We get it today - probably more excited than I should be about getting a crate!
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:03 am

I had a kennel like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Triple-Door-Suitcase-Style-Folding/dp/B001QXKI16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325040150&sr=8-2

but rouge is very hard and not doing well with crate training. There are treats in there and I've tried to feed her in there but she really wants nothing to do with it... I know we have other dogs but my fear of her eating my roommates $1000 couches makes me feel its best she knows how to kennel to keep her safe while I am at work. So far I just hire dog sitters lol thank god for sisters right? But there may come a time where that is not an option. Worst part is the other dogs in the house are so food motivated if I just leave treats in there They will get them and not her....so I can only leave it open when we are both in my room together with the door closed to keep the other two dogs out... :/
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 am

she is now in one of the brown kennels with the wire door as she escaped from the other within a few minutes. we put her in there and ran to the post office and she escaped it in less than 15 mins... nothing was chewed though or destroyed, i may not always be that lucky though
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N0OHBU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=A2RFSIF56F6W5J

Have you seen these kennels.??
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 pm

yes they are lovely I can only see her chewing the wood now lol *nom* nom nom! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 am

Rouge is no longer afraid of her kennel and unfortunately sometimes I have to go 4 to 5 hrs before being able to give her a break while I am at work. The big problem is she will pee in her kennel and lay in it. There isnt a ton of room its like she doesn't care??? I've never heard of this, I will try making the kennel even smaller I suppose but there is already hardly enough room for her in it. She can go 8 hrs at night without having to go potty if there is any help I could use it. I have to give her a bath every time I come home and wash the kennel Sad I feel awful!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm

How long after she has access to food and water is she in the crate and when does she go out to potty before crating her?

Try restricting her access to water/food 30 mins before you leave and then taking her out RIGHT before she goes into the crate.

Back to top Go down
Rouge1987
Newborn
Newborn
Rouge1987

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I came home from work yesterday and its the first time I havn't had to bathe her!! She always has access to water as we have 2 other large dogs and a tank water dispenser. I will try restricting her water but it can be difficult with the other dogs not having the same problems. I take her out before I crate her I will have to do it again today so I will see what happens thank you for the tips!
Back to top Go down
sofi.mitchell
Newborn
Newborn
sofi.mitchell

Female Join date : 2012-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
I took home my 8 week puppy not too long ago and he took on to crate training really well. During daytime he'll go in on his own and can have a ball just hanging out in the crate with all his toys. But then come night time and he starts freaking out. We take him out to go potty every 2 hours so that's not the problem but we just don't know what to do anymore. We haven't slept in days. We've tried having him sleep while the crate is in our bed room but it doesn't make a difference. We've also tried letting him fall asleep in our arms then gently putting him in the crate but it just causes him to freak out even more. Every night it sounds like we're torturing him with the way he cries. Please help
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:42 pm

sofi.mitchell wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I took home my 8 week puppy not too long ago and he took on to crate training really well. During daytime he'll go in on his own and can have a ball just hanging out in the crate with all his toys. But then come night time and he starts freaking out. We take him out to go potty every 2 hours so that's not the problem but we just don't know what to do anymore. We haven't slept in days. We've tried having him sleep while the crate is in our bed room but it doesn't make a difference. We've also tried letting him fall asleep in our arms then gently putting him in the crate but it just causes him to freak out even more. Every night it sounds like we're torturing him with the way he cries. Please help
If he is doing fine in the crate during the day, is there a reason you feel the need to crate him at night? Have you tried letting him sleep on a bed on the floor of your bedroom or has he destroyed stuff? Chances are he would be fine. I say it's worth a shot Smile

Back to top Go down
sofi.mitchell
Newborn
Newborn
sofi.mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:46 pm

We let him sleep on the floor of our room once but he ended up peeing at the foot of our bed and ate our laptop cable while we were sleeping. It was pretty cute waking up to our toes getting licked to death though but here's just too many things he eat/do in our room without being in the crate.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Hmm. That definitely takes that idea off the table.

Have you made the crate den-like? What about playing music for him? The best thing to do is ignore him, so I would try playing music and putting him in a separate room.

Back to top Go down
sofi.mitchell
Newborn
Newborn
sofi.mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm

So far we've put our old pillow with our smell in the crate for him to sleep on and he also has all his toys in there and gets fed there. We also leave random treats for him inside and so far all of this works great in daytime. We're not really sure what happens as soon as it gets dark that makes him freak out. For one night we had his crate in our room but he made so much noise that we had to move it to our downstairs living room area since my husband needs his sleep for what he does at his job. When he slept in our room we did have the tv on but it made no difference but i'll try seeing if it'll help to leave the radio on when he sleeps tonight. Thanks so much for the help and I'll keep you updated tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Have you tried night lights in the room he sleeps in as well as the radio.
Back to top Go down
sofi.mitchell
Newborn
Newborn
sofi.mitchell

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Ironically, we haven't tried leaving the lights on yet. I mentioned it to my hubby but he just thought I was being silly. I'm sure at this point he'll try anything just to get some sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training   Crate Training - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next