It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

"reserve sneeze"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
josetteperalta
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-06-18

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 am

tell me, is this a husky thing, too?

i'm prompted to ask because bullet came next to me and was breathing in a manner similar to this one in the video clip below for a long time. like maybe a minute. and he was going around in circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYqi4Ma24w&feature=youtu.be

Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 am

Shaqua does that too! What does that mean? I have no idea! It always scared me before....
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 7:29 am

It's not a husky thing, but it does happen occasionally. It's generally more common in smaller/brachycephalic dogs, not so common in sibes.

More info on Reverse Sneezing:

Reverse Sneezing (Pharyngeal Gag Reflex)
Authored by: Becky Lundgren, DVM

Reverse sneezing is a disconcerting event in which a dog makes unpleasant respiratory sounds that sound like it is dying -- or will die in the next few minutes. Reverse sneezing sounds similar to the honking noise made by a dog with a collapsing trachea, but reverse sneezing is a far simpler condition that usually does not need any treatment. It is called reverse sneezing because it sounds a bit like a dog inhaling sneezes. The sound the dog makes can be so scary that many owners have rushed in a panic to emergency clinics in the middle of the night.

The most common cause of reverse sneezing is an irritation of the soft palate and throat that results in a spasm. During the spasm, the dog’s neck will extend and the chest will expand as the dog tries harder to inhale. The problem is that the trachea has narrowed and it’s hard to get the normal amount of air into the lungs.

Anything that irritates the throat can cause this spasm and subsequent sneeze. Causes include excitement, eating or drinking, exercise intolerance, pulling on a leash, mites, pollen, foreign bodies caught in the throat, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and post-nasal drip. If an irritant in the house is the cause, taking the dog outside can help simply because the dog will no longer be inhaling the irritant. Brachycephalic dogs (those with flat faces, such as Pugs and Boxers) with elongated soft palates occasionally suck the elongated palate into the throat while inhaling, causing reverse sneezing. Small dogs are particularly prone to it, possibly because they have smaller throats.

Reverse sneezing itself rarely requires treatment. If the sneezing stops, the spasm is over. Oftentimes, you can massage the dog’s throat to stop the spasm; sometimes it’s effective to cover the nostrils, which makes the dog swallow, which clears out whatever the irritation is and stops the sneezing. If the episode doesn't end quickly, you can try depressing the dog’s tongue, which opens up the mouth and aids in moving air through the nasal passages. Treatment of the underlying cause, if known, is useful. If mites are in the laryngeal area, your veterinarian may use drugs such as ivermectin to get rid of the mites. If allergies are the root of the problem, your veterinarian may prescribe antihistamines. Because reverse sneezing is not a severe problem, do not worry about leaving your dog home alone; if it occurs when you're not there, the episode will most likely end on its own.

If reverse sneezing becomes a chronic problem rather than an occasional occurrence, your veterinarian may need to look up the nasal passages (rhinoscopy), and may even need to take a biopsy to determine the cause of the problem. Sometimes, however, no cause can be identified.

Some dogs have these episodes their entire lives; some dogs develop the condition only as they age. In most dogs, however, the spasm is a temporary problem that goes away on its own, leaving the dog with no after-effects.

Cats are less likely to reverse sneeze than dogs are. However, owners should always have the veterinarian examine the cat in case it's feline asthma, and not a reverse sneeze. Feline asthma requires more treatment than reverse sneezing does.

Source: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2335

Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Thank you, Val. I never knew it was called reverse sneezing. I'm glad it seems like an ok thing to happen. It doesn't happen to her all the time but does happen occasionally.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 pm

My parent's dog does this seasonally and out vet said it was likely allergies. She takes an inexpensive allergy medicine when she needs it and it stops is entirely.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Shaqua's happens mostly after she drinks a lot of water, or after I finish brushing out her coat. I figure, after reading that article, it's probably just an irritant from those activities.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Butkis used to do this and did it more as he got older.
I was told by the vet to consider more like an allergy.
Thanks for all the info Val!

MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Omg Mya does this occasionally and it freaks me out!!! It happens when she gets too exicited to go on a walk or when she's pulling on the leash. Just like the article that Val posted mentions.

What a relief!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 pm

I had a small dog who did it every time he pulled to hard on the leash!
Back to top Go down
kelly foster ford
Puppy
Puppy
kelly foster ford

Female Join date : 2013-03-25

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 pm

I,m fairly new to this forum but not to the breed. Our last husky did this" reverse sneezing" aswell our vet informed us that there is a flap in everyones throat as well dogs that stops food from going to our lungs when we eat. That flaps open when we breath he said that flap gets stuck open sometimes or half open and results in" reverse sneezing". so be sure not to offer your dog food or water when this is happening . (our new husky Eska is 13months and has had a couple of episodes
as well) By the way this is a great forum !
kelly
Back to top Go down
josette
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-10-18

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyWed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

thanks for the info...so far, Bullet's reverse sneezing had stopped. it's just weird, but i don't hear him doing that now for a month ...it's just weird.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" EmptyWed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm

It may happen occasionally. My sibe does it rarely, maybe a few times a year. My chi girls are similar, only a few times a year for them too even though their breed is more prone to it than huskies.

"reserve sneeze" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "reserve sneeze"   "reserve sneeze" Empty

Back to top Go down

"reserve sneeze"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1