It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Importance of Brushing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

The Importance of Brushing Empty
PostSubject: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 pm

That time of year is upon us! That's right time to drop that winter coat and get ready for summer! Time to start getting out there and brushing dogs Smile Remember a Siberian's coat not only keeps them warm in the winter but protects their delicate skin and keeps them cooler in the summer please don't shave your Siberian unless it is medically necessary!

This picture diagram is an excellent visual of how the coat actually functions-
The Importance of Brushing 150494_463493110385589_1700560314_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks for posting this! I've been having quite a few husky "experts" telling me to shave my dogs and I knew it was a bad idea but could never explain why.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi Lani,

is there any special technique you recommend for brushing? Is it always head to tail, switching it up tail to head....?

Thanks for your help and for posting those cool diagrams.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm

THANK YOU for posting this. I have argued, many times, with friends and family that you should not shave a siberian- keep them well brushed but don't shave them. I might have to share this if you don't mind. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Please feel free to share Smile I'm glad people are finding it helpful
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm

We had lots of people telling us to "Make sure to shave him since it's so hot". I really didn't want to because the coat is SO beautiful! Shaved huskies just don't look like huskies anymore.

I was happy when I found out that shaving them was actually worse for them. I now felt "OK" that I didn't have to! Razz I have seen some shaved huskies down here though. Sad
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:41 pm

I've come across several people who have asked if we shaved ours during the summer months, typically people who don't know anything about huskies either. I explain to them how it's actually worse for them, and I learned that pretty young from my grandparents who bred/showed Newfoundlands. The same applies to them too.

But I have seen several shaved huskies, a girl I went to high school with shaves hers, and I just always internally sigh and feel bad for the pup. I luckily haven't come across anyone telling me that I should shave ours though. I'd probably get pretty grumpy.

Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Haha, I would get grumpy now, too! Razz

Yup people keep asking if we are going to and now I am very thankful to have an answer to why we won't be! Razz
Back to top Go down
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 pm

I feel like you can tell who actually knows about the breed and who doesn't by if they shave or recommend shaving a husky.
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Very true! I just realized you live in FL too, btw! Hehe.

Its also people's personality types. My father is certain he knows everything about everything and everyone, and he keeps telling me we'll have to shave him.

Needless to say, I will never be leaving him to be baby sat by my father, in case I come home to a shaved puppy...
Back to top Go down
jennmreeves
Newborn
Newborn
jennmreeves

Female Join date : 2013-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 am

I wish that people would join forums and do some research before getting a husky. This last weekend I took my husky to a car show and she was getting just as many looks as the cars were. Alot of people would tell me how pretty she was. There was alot of people that would call her a boy (that kind of gets on my nerves because I thought that the pink collar, harness, and leash would tell people that she is indeed a girl). There was alot of people who would argue with me about her breed being directly linked with a wolf. There was some people (with very young kids) I hoped I talked out of getting a wolf/husky hybrid. Then there was a few that was asking when I would get her shaved. They thought that they knew what they were talking about and was trying to make it look like I am a bad pet owner if I dont get her shaved. I tried to tell them that it was a bad idea as nice as I could but it was almost like talking to a brick wall. They would try to tell me that they owned huskies before. I feel sorry for those huskies.
Back to top Go down
asafnawi
Newborn
Newborn
asafnawi

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 am

GREAT INFO.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for sharing.. The rule I have heard is you DO NOT shave dogs with Fur. You can shave or cut dogs hair that have hair like poodles and the such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Importance of Brushing   The Importance of Brushing Empty

Back to top Go down

The Importance of Brushing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1