It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

Female Join date : 2013-04-02

Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) Empty
PostSubject: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi all,

Baron (a little over 8 months old now) has been increasingly difficult to feed. For a period of time he was fed the Purina One Lamb and Rice formula for big dogs, and he did really well. We started feeding him that at about 3 months old, after switching from Science Diet Puppy Food that the breeder had been feeding him before we brought him home. We switched him from the puppy food because it was making him incredibly gassy and his stool became very soft.

We changed from the Purina One Lamb and Rice to the Purina One Beyond (Chicken and Whole Oat Meal & Ranch Raised Lamb and Whole Barley) when he was about 6 months, and he did VERY well on it for a period of time.

When the female chihuahua (who is gone now and has been gone for about 2 weeks) came in to heat he stopped eating his food. This was also about the same time that construction began on the house here to fix the fire damage from the end of January; we had a chimney fire due to the blower fan shorting out inside the insert. Ever since then, which is about a month now, he has showed ZERO interest in EITHER Purina formula. When the female chihuahua was finally gone, he still wasn't eating his 3-4 cups a day, and we dressed up his food for a bit with eggs to help him gain some of that weight back that he had lost.

We were in the yard today and he threw up but it was nothing but bile because he hasn't eaten his food at all today. I want to try the Blue brand food for sensitive systems, but I want to STOP spending so much money buying whole bags of food when he won't even eat it.
I'm very confused as to what the real issue is here and was hoping someone here could give me some input or advice.

P.S.
We still need to get him neutered, not sure if this could be the cause either. I just love it when bills come up and *poof* goes the vet fund. Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) 1625187496

ALSO: He has shown quite a bit of interest in eating my cat's food. Not sure if that helps.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:25 pm

There are several members on here that can probably help you out . My dogs they are almost 3 years old have not been eating much lately. I believe it has lot to do with how active they are and the weather.

I would consider switching him to Blue buy a small bag of a grain free and try it out.
Back to top Go down
Mishka&Me
Puppy
Puppy
Mishka&Me

Male Join date : 2013-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:27 pm

I know it'll sound silly, but try this: put a bit of his food on the cat's plate and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm

If you don't do this already, you could try exercising him before you feed him. Some dogs show more interesting in eating when they've had the chance to work up an appetite. If he doesn't want to eat, take up his food and try feeding him again a few hours later.
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:46 pm

We've tried running out all his energy at the lake to the point where he came home and slept for three hours and he still showed no interest in the food. I tried the dog food in cat food container and still nothing. I have an inkling maybe there wasn't enough protein in the dog food and maybe it's why he showed interest in the cat food. I'm in town now so I will see if they sell Blue somewhere here in town.
Back to top Go down
Haileybug1991
Newborn
Newborn
Haileybug1991

PostSubject: Re: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Oh my gosh HE'S EATING.
We bought a small bag of Taste of the Wild and he's actually eating it. I cannot even begin to express my happiness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)   Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy) Empty

Back to top Go down

Baron's Lack of Appetite (Appetite Apathy)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1