It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

technical term for......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

technical term for...... Empty
PostSubject: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 pm

not bi-eyed, or two of the same color eyes??

Is bi-eyed an official technical term?

Would two of the same be uni-eyed, homo-eyed?? I hope.....really hope it's not just "normal" !
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Siberians can have what's known as bi-eye or parti-eye. But for eyes of the same color I have always known it to be dual ___color____ eyes....so in example Denali would be dual brown eyes, Enya dual amber eyes. Kenna is bi-parti-eyed.

Denali
technical term for...... 534061_463081080426792_1921524632_n

Enya
technical term for...... 307259_422959617772272_2032846801_n

Kenna - it's not easy to see in the pic but her right eye is blue with a brown spot on the top under the lid. Her left eye is brown with a blue spot in the inner corner.
technical term for...... 538747_377620035639564_11642897_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Got it, thanks Lani. So dual-eyed (plus color) would be the closest to a technical term.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 pm

That's what I was taught anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 pm

It's funny how easily we name exceptions or "not normal" things without ever bothering to name the common or "normal" things in the same way Wink
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:21 pm

the technical term for "bi-eyed", meaning, the scientific term is called heterochromia.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:22 pm

Great, rendering homochromia??
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm

So heterochromia, while accepted as a breed standard, surely is a genetic abnormality, yes, if normal is considered simply as rate of prevalence??
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm

seattlesibe wrote:

monochromia/homochromia both mean, "having one color".

If your pup had two pure blue eyes, they would be considered monochromatic, or homochromatic.

As far as Biology and genetics are concerned, I am not sure if it is possible to have a breeding pair that could guarantee the certainty of heterochromatic, or monochromatic eyes. I am not sure if the genes for eye color work the same way as the genes for coat color. Not a biologist Razz

Last edited by MyKeeonah on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Heterochromia is actually a lack or excess of pigment that can appear in the iris of the eye, though pigment isn't an issue in many of the dogs that it appears in so I'm not sold on the wiki answer. As you can see in my bi-parti-eyed girl she does not have a pigment issue in the least. In Siberians it is bi or parti eyed.
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
So heterochromia, while accepted as a breed standard, surely is a genetic abnormality, yes, if normal is considered simply as rate of prevalence??

Its been a while since I did any research into this so anybody who has more current info feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. What I remember finding in my research back then, is that eye color in Siberians is actually inherited in each eye independently, unlike in human eyes were eye color is controlled by a single group of genes. This makes trying to determine or predict eye color even more complicated in Siberians than it would be in trying to determine or predict in most other organisms. It is not considered to be a genetic abnormality however, or at least it didn't used to be.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 pm

It is not considered a genetic abnormality which is why, in the breed we do not refer to it at Heterochromia.
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Dichromatic?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:
It is not considered a genetic abnormality which is why, in the breed we do not refer to it at Heterochromia.

But if that's what the actual condition is called, why not?

Is it just because it has been selected for, accepted, and normalized?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

MyKeeonah wrote:
seattlesibe wrote:

monochromia/homochromia both mean, "having one color".

If your pup had two pure blue eyes, they would be considered monochromatic, or homochromatic.

As far as Biology and genetics are concerned, I am not sure if it is possible to have a breeding pair that could guarantee the certainty of heterochromatic, or monochromatic eyes. I am not sure if the genes for eye color work the same way as the genes for coat color. Not a biologist Razz

Probably due to dominance and recessiveness in the genes manifesting themselves in the actual organism, I'm guessing.

If it's recessive an organism can be a carrier but not have it active or manifest. So theoretically two monochromatic dogs could still produce a heterochromatic puppy.

Also not a biologist.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 pm

As it was stated the genetic code that makes up the eye color in Siberians is chosen individually instead of in pairs as in humans. For humans to have dual color eyes it is a genetic mutation as a single gene set of genes is altered. Since Siberians are individual genes it is not a mutation that happens it is a genetic selection nor is it a lack of pigment that causes the anomaly. There for the 'condition' is called bi-eyes in the case of two differing eye colors. Since both blue and brown eyes are equally dominant in the breed (unlike in humans where blue is a recessive gene) it is just as easy for a blue gene to be selected as it is a brown gene, so if there are both blue and brown in the recent pedigree it is possible for the color combo to crop up.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Ah ok, so it is a unique condition that is different than a human having two different color eyes.

EDIT: or really, it is not a condition at all in Huskies....noted.

So how common is this type, bi-eyed or parti-eyed, in dogs? Are Huskies the only breed to have it commonly?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

I know Australian Shepherds can have it, not sure about what other breeds though. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Is it normal in them, bi-eyed, or abnormal, heterochromatic?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 pm

I believe it's normal, i see a lot of parti eyed and bi eyed ones. But i really have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 am

Both my boys are parti eyed actually. I think it's a lot more common that what people think. Ares is bi eyed and partieyed.

Ares:
technical term for...... 8186315052_f75a4534f3_z

Embry, his is really only the top of his eye
technical term for...... 7852985560_c7f648b3f4_z
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 am

I feel lame - my dogs both have two of the same colored eyes. boring.

Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 am

Sierra has parti eyes, her one is half brown half blue, the other half blue half brown. You can see it in a few pics I have posted. Love her eyes, jack is all blue

Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 am

Saphire is a true bi-eyed. No parti-eye here.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 am

Karli is part-eyed in one eye only. At first my hubby was kinda upset because he had wanted a blue eyed, black/white female and I was like "but it looks cool!!!" At first I was curious as to whether it was considered a "fault" but obviously its not. Although you do get those who think your dog is blind lol. technical term for...... 85993
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: technical term for......   technical term for...... Empty

Back to top Go down

technical term for......

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next