It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Backbone??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:38 am

I posted this in the Weigh In topic, But I decided my best bet for an informative response would be starting a topic.

Loki is 1 year 4 months old. He is pretty thin, I can feel his hip bones and spin sticking out a lot! (Though his ribs feel fine, Exactly like they should). I am getting him tested for worms soon. I just weighed him and he is 60ibs?! Yet that skinny??? Do you think maybe he is just missing muscle mass? I just got him in Nov. from someone who said he wouldn't eat, but he eats here just fine. He goes through one of those 2ib coffee cans, worth of dog food most the time. He has free choice of it all night. All the other dogs we have of his size do just fine on half a can, Our old Wolf Hybrid even got fat off half of one, and he was much bigger. But , I have been giving him more in hopes he would gain weight. (Which he has, 35ibs when we got him at 11 months). But his back bone and hips are still sticking out. His hips are not bad, you cannot feel them from the side just from the top, but his back bone you can feel all the way down til it connects to the ribs (so sticking up about maybe half an inch?) Maybe he has a spine problem? All opinions gladly taken!

He is on Diamond Maintenance, and Diamond Premium. I know this is not a recommended brand, But it is what my mom gets and until I move out there is no choice in the matter. All of the other dogs are doing just fine on the feed.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 am

Backbone??  2qst2c10

Honestly he looks ok to me.

Especially the last picture on the bottom right. It looks like he is at a healthy weight in that picture. I don't see Ribs, I can see a Tummy Tuck, and the hips look about right.

It's normal for a Husky to be Lanky, and seems really skinny for the earlier parts of their lives. They don't really start to fill out until about 2 to 4 years of age.

In terms of weight, well sometimes a big one is just born. My Wife's Airedale retriever was something like 20 pounds bigger than he was supposed to be, and at a healthy weight.

We looked after, and tried to help place a Husky last summer/Fall that was close to 60 pounds and you could still see his ribs and bones everywhere. I think last I had inquired the owner had him up to a healthy weight of 75ish pounds, and I know for SURE this wasn't a Mal.

That being said it is never a "bad" thing to cover all the bases and get in to see a vet. All in all though he looks fine to me, but I'm no where close to one of our resident health experts Razz

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am

Yup - he's still in that awkward teenage phase - give him time and he'll fill out. Smile
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am

Okay- That is what I thought at first. Was, Okay he is just a young puppy in that phase. And, He looks great! But you can really feel that backbone in there and everyone who pets him think he is neglected! It has been driving me crazy and started making me second guess myself there.He is my first husky and I am learning loads on the breed, Glad to know for sure it is normal. :p
His papers list a breeding place, Which when googled came up as suspected puppy mill? So every little thing on him I go a little over board on to make sure its normal.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

Tika wrote:

Honestly he looks ok to me.

Especially the last picture on the bottom right. It looks like he is at a healthy weight in that picture. I don't see Ribs, I can see a Tummy Tuck, and the hips look about right.

Laughing That bottom right picture I let my GD/Pit out to play in the yard and he was all sorts of excited. She is not spayed and he is not fixed, I had to stay out there to make sure they, ehem, Behaved. No pups for either of them. Ever! haha. He was strutting for her. lol!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Yeah we used to get the "How much do you feed her?" remarks too. The spine is also very pronounced in my sibe as well when petting over it. Sometimes when I rub across or down it I get the impression it can't be comfortable.

The only two pics I have that really show case how Skinny mine is are from last year around summer time. Which would put Teek somewhere between 1+ y/o and 1 and a half years old.

This was around 1 year old or so due to it obviously being coat blowing season.

Backbone??  Img_3611

The other is around June or July I would guess putting her closer to Loki's age. It isn't the best shot but you can see how much her body cuts in after the ribs.

Backbone??  Img_3613

Loki seems perfectly normal to me Wink

Side note... My god son has to teach me his "Ab Secret"

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Thank you so much Smile That puts me at ease a lot!
And, Lmao!! He can share that ab secret with me to!
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:01 pm

I wonder how much he will weigh when he fills out! I love that he is getting big and heavy. He is coming on 23 inches at the shoulder Smile The only frustrating thing is so many people ask me if he is a malamute. Lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Loki sounds and looks perfectly fine to me. Honestly he sounds like a normal young husky. My dogs are perfect weights and I can easily their spines.

My boy didn't start filling out until 2.5 years old, before then we got lots of "looks" from people and comments on how skinny he was. He ate a ton but wouldn't put on any weight and people looked at me like I was starving my dog. He's 50 lbs now at 7.5 years old, but here are some pics of him at 44 lbs at 2 years old when he looked 'starved'...

Backbone??  12

Backbone??  19

Backbone??  27

Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 am

Balon has filled out but I can still "feel" his backbone. My vet said some dogs just have a more prominent backbone.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 am

Huskies are not really "husky" dogs! I think we tend to think they should be just because of the way the adjective "husky" is used in our society. (Pugs are "husky" dogs... and maybe English Bulldogs... Laughing )

I think all healthy weight huskies will have prominent spines.

He looks great!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:19 am

I agree, he looks great! Don't fret, never a bad idea to have them checked for parasites. I maintain a yearly worming program for my kennel. He will fill out give him time, Denali looked like a noodle until 17 months Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Thank you all very much. Smile He is still going to get the vet check. Just having to put it off some. With the cost of shots and wormer for 6 horses, All the money is gone! haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Backbone??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Backbone??    Backbone??  Empty

Back to top Go down

Backbone??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-