It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First Show, Grooming tips please....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

First Show, Grooming tips please.... Empty
PostSubject: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm

so we are entering Logan & Arya into their fist show next week, they are being professionally groomed the evening prior to the show. Just wondering is there are particular brush or method more suitable for making the coat appear better for showing. Both coats are healthy but i am new to show, someone mentioned brushing the coat up from the back...?

any other tips would also be very welcome, we are attending a show but only as spectator to expose the dogs to the atmosphere
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:45 am

Bump maybe Lani or Megan can help you out sorry I have no idea when it comes to showing.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:03 am

You want to blow the coat up with a high velocity drier. Siberians are very much wash/blow/go when it comes to showing. You'll want to take a slicker brush and brush the back of the legs (front and rear) up to make it stand, you can use a holding cream or spray to keep it fluffed up. The top line needs to be level, I'll run my hand lightly over the topline after blowing. The bloomers (pants, fluff butt, whatever you call it) Brush down. Sides of the body brush up. Coat conditioning should have started weeks ago for show, lots of line combing prior to show day to separate the hair, make each hair stand out on it's own instead of in clumps.

Example- Not show groomed:
First Show, Grooming tips please.... 17296_463081040426796_150294208_n

Show groomed:
First Show, Grooming tips please.... 488323_364471103621124_202489018_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 8:53 am

Coat conditioning should have started weeks ago for show

What kind of conditioning?? I am not sure I am doing line combing correctly....takes forever, as I am not that good at it yet. Wink But, I am confused as to what to do with her topline. I use a K9-II to blow her dry and use a brush to kind of brush the spot I am on out. (make sense?) But, should I blow the top line in the same way or "slick back" towards the tail. If I just leave it and do the sides, her topline looks all mixed up. ??

I have also heard you can use a flea comb to brush up the leg hair. Thanks!

Say, Colin, best of luck to you!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:30 am

When I know I have a show coming up, which is usually about a month in advance, I start the grooming process then. Denali will be cold bathed and blown at least twice a week from that point on. This stimulates coat retention if he's still in good coat, and growth if he happens to be naked. If he is naked he will be cold bathed without shampoo every day and dried with a high velocity drier, I can get him back into really decent coat within that time period.

The coat, like any other aspect of a dog, needs 'training' so to speak to separate and stand out away from the body. The more you line comb and use the high velocity drier the less work you'll have to do come week of show. I do not touch a brush to coat until the dog is dry, unless there are tufts of hair that are trying to come out. I blow the topline toward the head from the tail, that hair needs to seperate also...though I do not leave the hair in a 'mohawk' but rather lightly even it out with just my hand or light combing, just about a mid way depth on the hair not a slicking back to the skin.

Grooming is something that is harder to put into words, it's almost something that done enough your hands just know what do to without you having to think about it LOL sorry I can't just show you- If you can go to a show and just watch someone groom out a Siberian, if you can ask questions.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks for that. I did not know that about the baths. She has a show in a few weeks. Better get crackin! I think I can got to a friends house and watch her.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 1:43 pm

It would be great if there were some good Vid Tutorials on grooming!!!
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 1:54 pm

If I think about it I will bring my Contour camera with me and film Denali's handler prepping him for the ring- I never have the hands when I'm grooming at home- Which just gave me another idea- filming him in the ring too!
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Smile yes you should do just that!!!!!!!! Please!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:41 pm

To the OP, be very careful taking your dog to a normal groomer! Normal grooming and show grooming are very different. I know a lot of groomers like to shave down dogs for some reason and that would be terrible for a show Siberian! I've heard of a few horror stories about people taking their show dogs to regular groomers. I suggest giving them a bath yourself with a good shampoo a day or two before the show and blow them out with a HVD. At the show look for other people with Siberians or similar breed and ask for grooming tips. Many are more than happy to help you. That's how I first learned!

Here's a video, but I warn you it's LONG!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_Xk1xuwP8

First Show, Grooming tips please.... Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't have any tips, but I wanted to wish you good luck at your first show!

(The last dog I groomed for a show was a lab, and I did nothing other than trim nails and whiskers... maybe a bath if he was too stinky from being in the field)
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... EmptySat May 04, 2013 5:40 pm

hey guys thanks for all the tips, Arya got first in her group and is in another show tomorrow, its a big week end over here shows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Show, Grooming tips please....   First Show, Grooming tips please.... Empty

Back to top Go down

First Show, Grooming tips please....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1