It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Did I do it wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mahlee
Newborn
Newborn
Mahlee

Male Join date : 2013-02-20

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

I started mahlee on a raw food diet about 2 months ago. She is almost 6 months now. I waited to give her meat with bones on it until her teeth grew in. She now will only eat red meat. I try to give her different types of checken and turkey, bone in, bone out, but she avoids it like the plague. she will eat pears and apples (without the core) and some berries. but no chicke. I give her ground beed, and beef on ribs etc now. She likes eggs (raw) and honey too. I did some reading and was reading that red meat isnt good for dogs on a raw diet? is this myth or fact. I would like her to eat some bones for the calcium but shes not down. Any Ideas? Did I make a mistake to feed her chopped food when she had her baby teeth
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Have you tried the tough love approach? Only offering what you want her to eat until she eats it.

Nothing wrong with red meat but the key to a balanced diet is variety so she needs to east more than just beef.

If she's not getting enough bone you can supplement with a calcium supplement or a bone meal supplement.

Newborn
Newborn
Mahlee

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Yeah, Its like she is grossed out by it. She does eat a lot of fruit, sometimes veggies, and lots of eggs and honey. I also give her peanut butter in a kong sometimes as a guilt treat when I leave her. She is very smart and doesnt eat anything that is not hers and I make it very clear what is her food. Sometimes I leave the grain free kibble which I have on an emergency rations for her in a bowl for her to nip at through out the day incase shes not getting enough and she would rather nip at that than the chicken. but if she has her raw food she takes that and wont touch the kibble unless shes extremely hungry. but when I leave the quarter out and no kibble it will just harden and get gross and she avoids it like the plague. You think calcium supp would be good? or putting egg shells in the beef?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:00 pm

To do the tough love you'll have to cut out all other food and treats, including the kibble. She has to learn that she eats what is given to her and not hold out for what she prefers. Imagine if we only fed kids what they wanted!

You can't leave the raw chicken out. Offer it to her and leave it out for 20 minutes and whatever is left after the twenty minutes you put back in the fridge. Then offer it again at the next regular scheduled feeding time. And repeat until she finally eats it, no other food or treats should be offered.

Egg shell is a fine calcium supplement. I don't know how much bone and/or egg shell your dog is eating so I could not say if a calcium supplement is necessary.

Newborn
Newborn
Mahlee

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm

I will give it a try, but I use treats for her training, and we do two 15 minute sessions a day for training and i have to stay consistent with her program. Its small fragments of home made jerk, but as I said it is going to be hard to continue training without the "treats". I only put the kibble down after she eats her meal because she is a pup and I know shes growing, but I will cease doing that.

As far as bone and egg shells, she will eat the egg shells to the eggs i feed her..
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Well be advised that the training treats will give her the ability to hold out longer than if you were to cut out the treats entirely which is ideal. If you can try to lessen the treats as much as possible. I put training on hold whenever I am dealing with one of my dogs holding out, it has never lasted more than 3 days before even my most stubborn dog gave in.

Newborn
Newborn
Mahlee

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok great! Thanks for the advice! I will give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Did I do it wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did I do it wrong?   Did I do it wrong? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did I do it wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1