It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Could I possibly get in trouble?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Could I possibly get in trouble? Empty
PostSubject: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Happy Monday everyone!!

So yesterday my son was playing basketball outside, and the ball bounced out into the street. He thought for a second he could run out to the street to grab the ball while leaving the gate open not thinking that the dogs would escape...boy was he wrong! That's all it took was a split second for them to take off.
As I walked out of my yard I saw the neighbor down the street starting to yell at my son saying that she would call the cops if my dogs ever kill her cat. My dogs wouldn't go into her yard as it's closed all the time. I do see her cat walking around in her yard. Anyways I started thinking...what would happen if my dogs did get a hold of her cat or another neighbors...my street is crawling with felines..strays and all.

She also told my son that my dogs tried to kill her next door neighbors cat too! Well their yard is open...no fencing at all. I'm not gonna lie my dogs will bolt as soon as that gate opens. And we've been having to lock them in the back before we can pull in or out.

My question is...if her cat gets out of her yard, and if my dogs happen to escape and "kill" her cat....what could she do? Could she sue me?...I mean if her cat gets out and is loose on the street...wouldn't it be her fault too?

Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I just tried looking it up and yes you can be sued for quite a bit of money. You would be responsible for replacing the cat if it was killed, medical bills if the cat was just hurt, loss wages, and blah blah blah fees. Now as for her getting your dog killed (eye for eye) I can't find anything about that. I can't even find that in my own state.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 pm

A FYI
Have you seen this story about Chloe and Rocco.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Help-save-Chloe-Rocco/441414362617181?hc_location=stream
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Amy,

Thanks for checking that for me. Now I wonder if they did kill her cat or another without anyone seeing it...could I still be blamed for it?

Linda,

Thank you so much for posting that. I've never seen this post. I don't have a facebook. It's kinda scary....how much my two look just like those two. I just have to keep an eye on my two and make sure they are always tied up when we leave.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm

I think someone has to see it or see your dog is cover in blood or something like that..... I think it is impossible to blame you for something they never saw.

I totally forgot about Chloe and Rocco thing. But poor things. I really do hope they come back home Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Ya, i'm just very nervous now....there's also a lot of loose pitbulls around my area...I was just thinking what if one of them attack her cat and she blames my dogs...i don't know now...maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I was about to post the Chloe link but looks like Linda beat me to it, Yea just be extra careful we don't want another dog going through what Chloe and her family is going through
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Hmm this might be a crazy idea, but if you're worried about a pit bull killing your neighbor's cat and having them blame it on you then maybe you could keep a diary or a log.... You could record when your huskies leave the house, how long they're outside each day and at what times, exactly how much time you've left them alone per day, etc. You can also throw in a few pictures for more physical evidence. I know this is a really extreme method that can get overwhelming very fast, but it's at least a temporary fix to the situation. For example, say that your neighbor's cat died at 3pm tomorrow (I hope not!) and she tried to blame you. Yet you have a log and a photo both stating that your husky was inside playing with your kid at that time. It's not the best evidence in the world but it should suffice for the time being.

I don't know how old your huskies are but maybe if they're young enough you could try to socialize them with cats for a long term fix (I'm probably shooting myself in the foot for saying this though, I'm by no stretch of the imagination knowledgeable on huskies >.< ) If they have no desire to kill a cat and you can prove that to you neighbor then they might leave you alone...

I hope that I was of some assistance and my post wasn't just some random ramblings. I plan on possibly going to law school, so maybe 10-12 years down the road you can catch me fighting for cases like Chloe and Rocco. Anyways I hope I helped in some way!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Aidan-thanks for the advice...I might just have to do that. I just don't want something to happen to her cat then have her blame it on me. Funny thing is I've never seen her before....i've only seen her room mate.When I had the puppy she once got out too, and the room mate was the one who walked her back to my yard and said we should have a puppy play date! hmmm....I think their crazy! hahaha
Back to top Go down
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

Male Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm

If you leave your cat outside, and it gets killed...........to freaking bad. I'm sorry but the moment you remove human supervision your pet is a wild animal. I had to listen to people whine all the time when I live in Washington that the hawks were picking up outside cats and that was a "big problem"...........no its not, take your damn cat inside.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Simon-see that's where i'm confused....it would be as much as her fault as mine...if her cat was randomly walking the streets and my dogs happen to chase it. I know I would be held responsible if my dogs went into her property, and got the cat...but if it's just walking around it becomes a walking target...not only for my dogs but any. Just like if my dogs are out loose and they get attacked by other dogs it would be my fault.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Agreed, however a lot of people tend to overreact. They refuse to take even a little bit of the responsibility or blame like a grown person should and instead do the easy thing by blaming someone else. Which of course is pretty lame.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could I possibly get in trouble?   Could I possibly get in trouble? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could I possibly get in trouble?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1