It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Nanooks need to take everything outside

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

Nanooks need to take everything outside Empty
PostSubject: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Help me break him of this, it is driving me crazy!! I can not put anything down for a second with out him grabbing it and running outback. If he can get to it, he takes it. I have to do a sweep of the house to make sure E.V.E.R.Y. T.H.I.N.G is out of reach...and if I think it is out of reach I will put it even higher because he always finds a way to get to it. I ran in from work yesterday and had to run to the bathroom so I threw my purse on the table...must have left the strap hanging over because it was in the back yard when I came back out, got in the shower this morning and he took my kindle outside, my shoes and the remote control ( yes, I thought they were out of reach). He will takes spoons and cups if they are left to close to the edge of the counter. Seriously it is like baby proofing for a baby with a ten 10 foot arms reach. He doesn't chew the things he takes...thank goodness....he just wants them outside. He has done this since we got him but it is getting really bad now... and annoying! LOL
Any ideas on how to break this hoarding habit?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm

I am so sorry but i think this halrious!!! If it was happening to me im sure i would be frustrated.. Koda stays in a indoor outsoor kennel when im at work and school. And i notice everything i give him ends up outside.. Toys, blankets, and other stuff.. They never make their way back in lol.. Its like a grave yard out there lol.. But im sorry i dont know how to fix this.. Does he do it when ur watching him? Or only when your not looking?
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Both, when I am watching he will listen to me if I say leave it..and pretend I have a treat in my hand but he is starting to catch on that I really do not always have a treat. I should buy a pouch to wear 24/7 to keep treats in ... I use to laugh about it, chalked it up to a puppy thing but man...it is getting OLD! Most of the time it is just a surprise...walk outside to feed him to find a pile of stuff I didn't even realize was missing.

Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:41 pm

It has gotten to the point that the kids will come and ask me if I know where something is ... I just reply " look outback " lol
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Have you trained Drop its and Leave its????

If not that is where I would start. It should help cement that everything on the ground, or apparently elsewhere, doesn't automatically belong to him.

Apart from that I assume he gets them outside because he has access to a doggy dog or free roam to go outside. Closing it and teaching him to request to go out (ringing a bell, barking, ect) should help you notice if he has something.

Just closing it in general when you can't be there to supervise him should also help.

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:20 pm

We have been working on Drop It ( not catching on to that one) He knows Leave It but lately has decided he is only going to listen to me if I have a treat. He is going through a terrible stubborn stage...but is slowly coming out of it.

I will try closing the doggie door if I am going out for a short amount of time or if I am unable to keep an eye on him for some reason, maybe that will help.

He is such a nutty dog...gotta love him though!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndTiVOCNY4M

^Thats the video I used. MAGICAL. Keeonah got it in one day.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Good video, I am going to try it as soon as nap time is over ...thank you
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside EmptyFri May 03, 2013 4:34 pm

I just tried it and when I threw his treats on the ground he looked at me like I was stupid or something. Need to get chicken for this to work with him LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nanooks need to take everything outside   Nanooks need to take everything outside Empty

Back to top Go down

Nanooks need to take everything outside

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1