It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Training to tolerate other dogs.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fajita Dave
Newborn
Newborn
Fajita Dave

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

Training to tolerate other dogs. Empty
PostSubject: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm

We've only had our siberian husky for about 7 months now and she has come a long way with our training! However, she does not tolerate other dogs at all. She just goes straight into attack mode. If we're indoors she seems to deal with it for a little while but always ends up fighting no matter how nice the other dog is. If its outdoors there is no chance, she goes straight to fighting.

I just need training advice on how to stop her from wanting to fight other dogs! I don't mind if she never fully accepts other dogs but she needs to stop trying to fight with them. Our neighbor has two labs that they let roam around their front yard freely and they're as nice as they could be but she still tries to fight when we walk by. Once we do get past the confrontation then she drops the issue pretty quick. Afterward she looks back once and pulls for a minute or so but she stays focused on the direction we're moving and goes on with the walk.

Here is a little history if it helps. Gwen is about to be 8 years old and from what we gathered she spent the last 4 years in a 10ft x 10ft fenced in dog pen before we got her. The owners kept her away from other dogs because she "always tried to be the alpha and got into fights." She is a little big for a female at 58lbs but the vet said it was all muscle and she isn't overweight at all (she was 47lbs and skinny when we got her). She does show some small traits of trying to be top dog sometimes but nothing that would cause this problem. Any help would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Amber and Lexi
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptySat May 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Ive had a big dog a few years ago who was the same but only with certin types of dogs. We used to turn her onto her belly to show she wasn't the alpha and waited till she looked away to show her no. Each time even for only she was nice she got a treat.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptySat May 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Quote :
Ive had a big dog a few years ago who was the same but only with certin types of dogs. We used to turn her onto her belly to show she wasn't the alpha and waited till she looked away to show her no.

No. Alpha rolling only causes stress, fear, and has just about as much chance to cause harm to the dog as it does to the roller. It shouldn't be advocated to people, and should only be done as a LAST resort to protect your dog from harm or harming itself. Using a roll to establish dominance is the wrong way to go about training a dog properly in my humble opinion.

David :

The way I would deal with this is simply high reward and desensitization.

Find a powerful treat for Gwen (Great name by the way, I have a Cat named the same Razz ) what ever captures her attention. Make it extremely high reward and if it smells strong all the better. Some chicken, peanut butter, fish, ect. Anything that just by waving it in front of her she will want to follow your hand.

Go to park, where you are bound to bump into another dog. At the start a low traffic area would be better. I would wait on a bench with my dog and even be as far away as possible.

When another dog arrived I would wait for my dog to notice it and focus on it. I would say a command word, Gentle I think works well, and wave the treat in front of my dog's nose. Once the dog was focused on me or the treat I would reward, again saying gentle.

The goal here is to get your dog to focus on you and expect something awesome when ever she hears the word "Gentle". It is such a high value item it should break any fixation and reward you with today focus, thus ignoring the other dog(s).

I would slow, and I mean over weeks or even months) continue this method as I progressively got closer and closer to another dog. She will let you know when you're too close as she will fixate on the dog instead of the treat at that point. When that happens leave and try again the next day.

You should even be able to lay the ground work for this exercise at home before any dog is present. It should help.

There is ALWAYS a non intrusive and non violent way to fix behaviors. It just takes time and commitment.

I really hope this helped, and if not I would think about getting in touch with an actually trainer or behaviorist who can help more. Maybe someone else can offer something better.

The very BEST of luck to you and Gwen!!!

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptySat May 04, 2013 9:06 pm

I was only told that when I went to this obbidence school 10 or more years ago but she never had problems with other dogs only certin types. Thanks for the new input!
Back to top Go down
Fajita Dave
Newborn
Newborn
Fajita Dave

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptySun May 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks Chris! I will definitely try that. I'll need some higher reward treats but I think I can manage! That is for the most part what we've been trying to do. Usually she completely ignores treats when we get on the trails and even more so if she sees something she is interested in (like another dog). So it hasn't been working. She loves chicken but I've never really considered taking it with us on a hike or to the park so I'm not sure if she'll respond to it. I'll give this a try today.

Shes a squirmy thing with some brutal strength, I don't think I could force her to roll over even if I tried. So that's not an option anyway.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptySun May 05, 2013 5:52 pm

You could try adding a gentle leader to help direct the attention to you and the treat. Ideally verbally is best but sometimes they can get too focused and need just that little tug to break their attention and bring it to you. Tugging at a collar pulls them back but a leader should help turn the head away and break the focus. Keep the collar and leash attached as you may need it, but provide any correction with the leader.

Also try to stop the behavior at the first sign. Treating them helps them get out of the behavior, reacting quickly helps them never get into that mode.

Still working with Harry on this training as well. Not quite the same situation as he is A little ADD and will chase anything that moves. He'd be a really good bird hound, but needs to not chase them if he ever wants off a leash.
Back to top Go down
Fajita Dave
Newborn
Newborn
Fajita Dave

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptySun May 12, 2013 12:25 am

Well we've had some encounters with other dogs on the trail but no where near as many as usual. We did find a treat that she will not ignore and it gets her attention every time! Salami! So we just need to keep a zip lock bag of fresh salami with us for a while. Today we went to the trail park and she saw a well behaved dog that was off leash and she did seem to do better. She didn't pull as hard or seem to be as aggressive but we didn't get to close to find out what it would lead to yet with socializing.

Thanks for all of the help! It seems to be working.
Back to top Go down
Amber and Lexi
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. EmptyWed May 15, 2013 10:48 am

glade everything is doing well! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training to tolerate other dogs.   Training to tolerate other dogs. Empty

Back to top Go down

Training to tolerate other dogs.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1