It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Picky puppy is not eating

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

Picky puppy is not eating Empty
PostSubject: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

Anya is almost 8 weeks and has been with us for a couple days now. We kept her on the grain-free kibble the breeder provided for the first 24 hours. She gobbled up the kibble the first night home but is getting increasingly picky about the kibble and wouldn't even touch it this morning. So I figured it was the perfect time to transition to raw since she has fasted all night. I gave her a chicken back but she just licked it a little and walked away. I sat down with her and pulled meat off the bone and hand fed her, and she ate it right up. She tried gnawing on it after the first taste but growled and gave up! Now she's sleeping at my feet :-/

I'm considering running to the store to get her boneless skinless chicken breast but I'm worried that will give her a runny stool. Any suggestions? I know she's hungry because she follows me to the kitchen and whines and begs.

edit: typos
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:34 am

Keep at it, it's very early and you haven't given it enough time. I'm assuming she's been vet checked and cleared of any health problems. If not, do that first thing. Otherwise stick with it and persevere. She'll learn soon enough. You may want to stop any and all other treats until you have her eating the food you want her to. It's not uncommon though for new dogs and puppies to not eat much the first week or two in their new home environment, it's a very stressful time for them, after all.

Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for the advise Smile

I was going to take her to the vet when she turns 9 weeks because thats when she's due on her 2nd set of shots. I guess I should take her sooner? I'll call the vet now
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:47 am

I would take her in just to rule out any medical issues. Hopefully it's nothing but I would have her checked to be sure. Better safe than sorry, especially when dealing with such a young puppy.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I started Dizzy on raw as soon as I got him home. I got bone in thighs and boneless thighs. Saturday night I gave him the boneless, Sunday I gave him one drumstick and one boneless, and yesterday all drumsticks. His stools were very runny (I also gave him too many treats Saturday) so that's why I cut out the boneless for now, and the treats for the most part. I did give him about 2 tbsp of pumpkin yesterday evening and again this morning. He went yesterday at around 2 in the afternoon, then nothing the rest of the night, and nothing on his early morning walk. I was beginning to worry, then around 9:15 this morning, it was all normal! Woo hoo, never been so happy to see puppy poo lol. He has trouble chewing it too, so I hold it for him to help him get started. Once he eats the bigger end, he can handle it. I might go grab some wings and see if he has an easier time with them. Until he went this morning, I was burning up the bandwidth asking google if my puppy was dying lol. Also, I'm sure you know this, but don't listen to the vet if he berates you about the raw. My vets response when I told him about it was, 'there's not much I categorically say is wrong, but this is one of those things. It's absolutely the worst possible thing you can feed him.' Blah blah blah, okay can you please vaccinate him now? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Cornish hens are another small easy bird for small mouths and puppy teeth.

Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I was burning up the bandwidth asking google if my puppy was dying lol. Also, I'm sure you know this, but don't listen to the vet if he berates you about the raw. My vets response when I told him about it was, 'there's not much I categorically say is wrong, but this is one of those things. It's absolutely the worst possible thing you can feed him.' Blah blah blah, okay can you please vaccinate him now? Rolling Eyes

lol! I hoping my vet is more progressive, but if not then I guess I'll have to grin and bear it until her appointment is over. I have to bring in a stool sample tomorrow, so I wont even bother trying to hide the fact that I'm feeding raw.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:12 pm

That's why I use a holistic vet who recommends raw and sells raw food in her office! Wink Good luck at the vet tomorrow.

PostSubject: Re: Picky puppy is not eating   Picky puppy is not eating Empty

Back to top Go down

Picky puppy is not eating

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1