It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Will this pass through his bowels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

Will this pass through his bowels Empty
PostSubject: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Darn dog, darn kids......I wish my kids would just learn to close doors! Nanook just ate a whole sanitary napkin out of my daughters bathroom...so gross... will he pass this, any idea?
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm

You could try getting him to vomit. Peroxide worked wonders on Ripley when she ate some raisins. Our E-Vet said 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds. Within 5 minutes she threw up.

Last edited by Kellyb on Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:41 pm

how old is nanook? and how "big" was the napkin... if sierra had done that i know she would pass it but she has a good record of passing or puking up things so i dont freek out. but i have found that the peroxide works if you do it RIGHT away.

Methods to Induce Vomiting

Hydrogen Peroxide

Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Luci ate a small washcloth a few weeks ago. I tried peroxide, but she didn't throw it up right away. I was planning on taking her to the vet the next day, but she wound up throwing it up at 6:00 am (about 15 hours later).
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

I would definitely try to get him to throw it up. If memory serves me correctly, towards the end of last year Brooke's husky, Kale, had to have surgery because of an internal blockage caused when he ate a tampon.

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Kennedy has eaten more tampons then I can count (thanks to the boyfriend..) and she has passed them without problem. However, she is 50ish pounds and almost 3 years old, if that matters...

Keep a close eye on him!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

I don't know...no vomit yet. He is 20 weeks old and a month ago was 31lbs at his last check up. I will just keep an eye on him I guess. I have to run to work, thank goodness it is only a few blocks away and my boss is cool so I can ran home to check on him. I will say the dog does poop more then any dog I have ever had so hopefully he will just poop it out. He has passed thing I never knew he even got a hold of ..like the paper/foamy stuff you find at the bottom of packaged meat. I would think that was bigger then the pad, maybe not thicker though.
Thank you for the advice, I will let you know how things "go" lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm

I would take him to the vet, because they can expand. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I would definitely try to get him to throw it up. If memory serves me correctly, towards the end of last year Brooke's husky, Kale, had to have surgery because of an internal blockage caused when he ate a tampon.

Yep. Last November Kale ate one tampon, and it ended up getting lodged in his duodenum, expanded, and caused a blockage; he almost died. Thankfully, only 2 inches of small intestine needed to to removed due to necrosis, or lack of blood supply (the length of the tampon). Personally, I wouldn't leave him alone, and I would take him to the vet ASAP, but that's just my honest opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
kelly foster ford
Puppy
Puppy
kelly foster ford

Female Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Thats a really tricky one ....that fact that they expand is a little scary..my pup had a thing for socks which she ingested whole!! affraid I was lucky enough that she vomited it out about 15 hour later.definetly keep an eye on him hopefully he will pass it.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:35 pm

I came home every 1.5 hours to check on him, my boss even said I could bring him back to work if I wanted. He was soaking wet each time from playing in his kiddie pool so I never brought him back to work with me. ( it might have been fun....might) LOL He has had a bowel movement, no pad yet though and he is acting normal..no bloating or discomfort and is drinking fine. My daughter says she thinks it was just a panty liner type ( it was hard to tell if it was a thicker one with him chomping on it) so with any luck he will pass it. If I see any signs of distress though I will take him in.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:30 pm

He still seems fine. He had his normal 5 Bowel movements yesterday...yes, normal for him...FIVE. He only eats 2.5 to 3 cups of Taste of The Wild so I do not think he over eats. No pad yet though but I do not think it is plugging him up. I will still watch him to make sure that as it moves its way down it doesnt cause issues. I talked to the children for the millionth time about closing the bathroom door. AND what do you think happened this morning.....but this time I caught him! Maybe I need Child obedience classes instead of puppy classes :-)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Is he getting into the garbage or is he grabbing unused things?

Honestly? A simple fix for this is getting a garbage trash can with a lid! We used to have this problem, but do not anymore Wink

Will this pass through his bowels Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 1:20 pm

We are getting a trashcan with a lid this weekend. We saw one at Costco last night that was motion detected...my hubby liked it but I can not think of anything Nanook would find more excited then a trash can that opened for him when he walked by it LOL
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 2:25 pm

After Kale's incident, I leashed him in the living room for months while the whole household trained ourselves to close doors and it gave us time to get lidded trash cans and make minor improvements, so that it would never happen again. I never EVER, want to go though that agony again. If it doesn't come out through the bowels by tonight, I'd be worried. Kale had a partial blockage for 3 days before it was a complete blockage (and he was acting normal during the partial, with stools being produced). Not trying to scare you at all, just make you aware of the possible danger. I never thought that Kale would ever get a blockage from all the crap he ate, boy was I wrong. My family and I did a complete lifestyle change, all because of glutton mouth Kale, but he's worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 6:45 pm

And ................it is out :-) I told him I was giving him until 3:00 today and then we were going to the vet...no kidding he went out and poop right after LOL...I know he didn't know what I was saying but the timing was funny!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 7:02 pm

good news!

Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Trailtoad1 wrote:
We are getting a trashcan with a lid this weekend. We saw one at Costco last night that was motion detected...my hubby liked it but I can not think of anything Nanook would find more excited then a trash can that opened for him when he walked by it LOL
oh boy I am so totally visualizing this. laughing and laughing

Good news on the "outage"

kelly foster ford
Puppy
Puppy
kelly foster ford

Female Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Glad too hear..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this pass through his bowels   Will this pass through his bowels Empty

Back to top Go down

Will this pass through his bowels

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1