It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

*HELP* Puppy Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PrestigePanda
Newborn
Newborn
PrestigePanda

diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  Empty
PostSubject: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:43 am

Hey guys, I just brought a puppy last Tuesday and brought it home and I order a food called Fromm Gold Puppy since it been eating it had diarrhea and today it had diarrhea again and it was a liquidy form like it was just squirting out and some farts. Sorry if I saw non-expert. Please Help.
-Thank You
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 1:52 am

What food was the breeder feeding your pup?? If the breeder was feeding a different kind of food, how long did you do the switch (how many days)?? Also, has your pup been to the breeder recently to rule out any worms or other sickness??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
PrestigePanda
Newborn
Newborn
PrestigePanda

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:16 am

She was giving them beneful dog food.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

Female Join date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:21 am

yeah I would definitely get the worm thing ruled out first worms can cycle in the puppy pretty fast even if it has only been as little as three days late on being wormed again.
Little bit of canned pumpkin with no sugar that means no pie mix pumpkin or spiced, can help with the diarrhea.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:21 am

is that the only symptoms?
Back to top Go down
PrestigePanda
Newborn
Newborn
PrestigePanda

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:28 am

she got all her shots and yea thats the only thing she doing is diarrhea.
Back to top Go down
PrestigePanda
Newborn
Newborn
PrestigePanda

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:28 am

Do I mix the pumpkin with the food?
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:35 am

No just give her 2 tbl spoons full, It won't hurt her pumpkin is very good for your dog and can help with diarrhea
Back to top Go down
PrestigePanda
Newborn
Newborn
PrestigePanda

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:38 am

Ok thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:38 am

you could also give her Pepto-Bismol if you don't see any results, the dosage for puppies is on this sight http://animalsunlimited.net/meds.htm
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:40 am

for the next eight hours you only want to give her water so that she doesn't get dehydrated, so you can let her stomach take a rest and settle.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 2:49 am

If she still has it pretty bad tomorrow then you will want to feed her small amounts of bland foods such as baby rice and beef in the jar are really good and mix some of that with about a half a cup of cooked rice and keep her really hydrated, if that goes well over a 12 hour period then after that you can incorporate some of her dog food in with the baby food and rice and gradually add more dog food and less baby food and rice mix. I am no way a vet, and these are suggestions that have worked for my boy, if the problem worsens and there are no visible signs of let up and or she stops drinking water or becomes lethargic, you need to get her to a vet ASAP, or even if the diarrhea worsens and you feel she needs help then take her to the vet! Hope this helps and good luck
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptySun May 19, 2013 9:17 am

How was the puppy doing on the Beneful? Did you slowly transition from the Beneful to Fromm? Switching a puppy suddenly from one food to another is very likely to cause stomach upset, as can a number of other factors.

Pumpkin can sometimes help but it is not going to fix the problem, just act as a temporary band-aid if you will. I wouldn't go the pumpkin route at this point but if you do, a small amount will suffice and you can mix it in with their food or not, it's up to you.

Honestly, if your pup was okay on the Beneful I would go back to that until her tummy issues clear up. When they do, and she's had some time to recover, then I'd slowly reintroduce the Fromm in small quantities, so as not to shock her system again, and do a slow transition from the old food to the new over at least the course of a week, if not longer. If during the transition period she starts having soft stool or diarrhea then slow down and take a step backward to get her tummy situated. There is no guarantee that Fromm will agree with her so take it one day at a time. With any food it's a game of trial and error.

If you opt to put her on a bland diet, which I would only do IF she wasn't doing well on the Beneful in the first place, then you might want to skip using rice as sibes are known for having sensitivities to rice...something to keep in mind. You also don't need to use baby food, your pup will do perfectly fine on a normal cooked bland diet. Using baby food is unnecessary and just plain expensive. If she was fine on the Beneful I would default to that over a bland diet and keep her on that until you find and transition to a better food that works for her. I know Beneful isn't the greatest food but it won't negatively impact your dog if you keep her on it for a few weeks or months while you sort out her tummy troubles and find a better food that agrees with her. But if she didn't do well on the Beneful in the first place then I wouldn't put her back on it, I'd go straight to a bland diet. If you do a bland diet, I'd start with a single protein (such as eggs, chicken or beef-these can be cooked or raw, whichever you are more comfortable with) and a single fiber element (such as cooked carrots or green beans-these should be cooked as dogs cannot digest raw plant matter).

Since you've got a young pup it wouldn't hurt to add some Pedialyte (or a generic) to her water as well as giving her some Nutrical (or a generic), but neither of these things is required.

Newborn
Newborn
Cherry Lui

Male Join date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptyFri May 31, 2013 8:59 am

When I first brought my Siberian Husky home, I had the same problem too! Odin had a bad case of diarrhea since he was young and it lasted for weeks! We brought him to few vets, tried many other alternatives but to no avail until we found a breeder who also runs a pet shop.

He recommended us Annamaet Manitok (Lamb and Rice) and immediately we noticed a change in Odin's poo. It was solid and not watery. Every since then, we have no problem feeding him unless occasionally, we fed him with treats that are not suitable for his tummy. I heard Husky has a very sensitive tummy. I guess it is trial and error until you found the right food. For us, Manitok works.

For the record, we also tried Taste of the Wild.

Good luck and cherish your dog while they are here with you Smile Give them the best that you could.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  EmptyFri May 31, 2013 9:16 am

I wouldn't give pepto bismol without first asking your vet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea    diarrhea - *HELP* Puppy Diarrhea  Empty

Back to top Go down

*HELP* Puppy Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1