It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Companion breeds for huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Stefifi
Newborn
Newborn
Stefifi

Male Join date : 2013-05-22

Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Strangely enough my 2 corgis are a good match for our new husky! Although they are smaller than Zeabie, the husky, they are really fast (as they are bred for herding). It is really fun watching them play. Zeabie can certainly out run the corgis, Lennie and Zuzu, but if they work together and get an angle on him....POW!!! They take him down!!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
A lot of dogs don't like "husky type" dogs. Huskies, normally, have their ears perked up and a high-ish tail set. Basically "yelling" in dog language; not very "neutral" body positioning.

This is so interesting, good call. I posted a while ago about an excerpt from a book about how Huskies, more than any other breed, can communicate best non-verbally through body language due to their dynamic, most wolf-like bodily features--as opposed to say a bulldog or pug--but I never thought of it in this specific way and in terms of play style.

It makes complete sense....they are non-verbally screaming which contributes to their rough, physical, assertive play style.

So cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm

I have two husky boys and a female lab. They all get along great!
Back to top Go down
Rikka
Newborn
Newborn
Rikka

Female Join date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Sorry to bump, but interesting thread!

I'm actually on the other spectrum as far as looking for a breed that mingles well with my Shiba. Shocking enough (not really, heh), he gets along with other Spitz types, especially Huskies and Malamutes. There is a prevalence within Shibas for same-sex aggression, so other male Shibas and him usually have pissing contests (not literally, more of a macho thing) and seeing who's more alpha than the other -- there's admittedly been a few spats between other Shibas and him, but he generally likes other Shibas. I've also noticed Boxers and Retrievers play well with him. I've settled on a Spitz as far as my second dog goes, but I'd like to comment that just about every Husky (at least from my experience in Washington) got along great with my Shiba. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.saganinu.tumblr.com
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 1:38 pm

This is interesting... if it was up to me, and I had the space I would have 3 dogs. I'd like to have 2 huskies and an Aussie. I know a few people here have Aussies, from what I have researched on both breeds, they seem similar energy, grooming and upkeep wise. Is that correct? Honestly when I set out to get a dog I was torn between a sibe and an aussie, but couldn't find a breeder that was having pups anytime in the next year near me.

Last edited by ccurran07 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 5:19 pm

I grew up with border collies/aussies/hearding breeds. Their energy is different than a husky. It is a different kinda hyper. I know my malamute maggie gets along with my parents border collie. It was the only time I could get her to be off leash because she would stay with him.

The breeds I recommend for a husky would be: malamutes, greater swiss mountain dogs, bernese mountain dogs, german shorthaird pointer, labs, vizlas, German shepherds
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 6:39 pm

My Standard Poodle gets along FABULOUSLY with Sheba. My Spoo is very energetic, loves to just go go go, and plays by mouthing. Her and Sheba can play for hours. She also paw slaps, so their play styles are very similar. If you can deal with the upkeep of grooming, I highly recommend a Spoo. They have a lot of similarities, but when you say "poodle", people think the ankle biters.

They complement each other's differences and have many similarities.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I second the German Shepherd. They play rough and it would be nice to have a dog that listens to you/works for you rather than listening when they choose like a husky lol. If you got one from working lines they might even rival the husky in energy level too. Good balance in my opinion. Or a Malamute would be fun.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 pm

A surprisingly large number of people have Sibes and Aussies.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Beckyg
Newborn
Newborn
Beckyg

Female Join date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Blazer plays with anyone who will play with him. He even throws the ball for his yorkie brother to run after it. But he really enjoys playing with my friends boxer who is his age. Both breeds are very bouncy and full of energy.They get along great,and can go for hours.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 5:53 am

Orion gets along well with boxers and mastiffs, he has only met one German Shepard so far and it did not take kindly to him Razz 
He best buddy though is a Briard Wallace, they get on famously and Wallace has even more energy than Orion! He is also twice the size of Orion so its pretty funny to see them play - I could never handle a Briard though! I would love another Husky but I doubt I will be able to get another from his lines so I was considering a Samoyed (albeit not for another year or two), does anyone have one or have any experience of their huskies around a samoyed?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 pm

My Dalmatians are great with our Huskies. The energy level is just about the same also. Two of my good friends have GSD's and our Huskies love playing with them as well.
Back to top Go down
tiffany
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:21 pm

I currently have a female akita and 3 male huskies living in my house. although i would not recommed an akita to most people, it works in my house. Izzy the akita will keep the boys in line ( which isn't always a good thing in some situations) and can handle the play.

but currently we are looking into hunting breeds because from our experience have the similar energy levels. We are actually looking at standard poodles, german wire haired pointer or wire haired griffon. I have seen a lot of pointers in harness with huskies and they are commonly used for skijoring and such.

to be honest i would love another breed i could trust off lead. the aussie in the family is very skittish and same sex aggressive, but he is amazing off lead and it makes me sad that my boys have to stay leashed up.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:25 pm

My Spoo is already a dream with her recall. I have only had her maybe 2 weeks?? Probably less (I have no sense of time), and she listens amazingly. I don't do off leash though; too many variables and more unsafe then safe for me. If you can keep up with the grooming upkeep(like I said earlier lol), Standard Poodles rock. They are basically everything huskies are not, but the play styles are very similar. Plus, they run so fast, she tires the Sibes out for me Wink. Standard Poodles are my other heart breed, so if you ever wanna learn more about my house dynamics or anything, you can always PM me.

Plus, it's nice to have ONE dog that doesn't shed like a monster Wink.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

Dizzy has several Spoo friends and he loves them and they play very well together. Smile
Back to top Go down
fuhongnie
Newborn
Newborn
fuhongnie

Male Join date : 2013-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 am

I'm getting a GSD in Jan, I was thinking of getting another husky but my wife and I talked it over and she wants a dog that isn't as stubborn as Parker and the fact that we have a baby daughter she doesn't want to have 3 kids running around making her lose her hair lol, but we are getting another husky later in down the road when I get out the military in a year and when we get our own house.
Back to top Go down
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 12:30 pm

jbooty939 wrote:
Just wondering what breeds you think do well with huskies, I am planning on getting my girl a friend as soon as I can afford to but I'm torn on the breed. From what I have read I really like the temperament of the shikoku-ken but they are extremely rare (I think there's only 3 breeders in the US) so the likely hood of finding one is really small. Just thought it would be interesting to see what other husky owners opinions are.

LoL, wish I saw this when it was first posted. Shikoku are an amazing breed and I personally feel that they do fit well with Sibes. Overall, Shikoku are a rude breed and not very savvy with doggy language. They expect dogs to tolerate having personal space invaded while not being invasive back. Shikoku are NOT a dog park breed, and generally do better in small social groups of dogs they've met before. Being that Sibes are generally dog social, makes for a perfect match to the Shikoku.

Miyu (shikoku) has always gotten along with Tikaani (husky) and is loving the new addition, Titan (husky) so long as his puppy antics doesn't break Miyu's personal boundaries.
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 pm

This is a great thread I'm also looking around for another dog within the next 2-3 years, so Cora is husky and part German shepherd. I was thinking I should go with a true medium sized dog since Cora is Much closer to a GErman shepherd size she is probably going to be around 65 pounds. I have my eye on either a pure bred husky so closer to 50 pounds and under or an Aussie shepherd.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 9:55 pm

i to have notice that Leo prefers to play with pit bulls and Staffies. i thinks it because at puppy preschool a Staffie by the name of pearl was his best friend. he tends to stay away from other huskies; the 2 times there were other huskies at the dog park Laughing . although i don't think that 2 interactions with other huskies is a good interaction amount of time for me to say that he wont play with other huskies, but he is usually the only husky at the dog park where we live.
my mom wants to get a collie, so he or she will alert us if some one comes by. i would prefer another husky. Wink
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 2:22 am

Great thread resurrection.....Miya plays best with huskies. She has played with a pit bull and a boxer, and they just did not understand her play style and her wooing, lol. After much debate with my husband, I gave him 2 choices for our second....another husky or a GSD. We will be getting our little girl GSD in 6 more weeks. Good luck on your search Zoe.
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks guys! I can't wait to see pictures of the new dog Renee!
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Do y'all have experience with huskies and akitas? I saw one user two years ago mention it but has anyone else put the two breeds together?
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Rumflower wrote:
Do y'all have experience with huskies and akitas? I saw one user two years ago mention it but has anyone else put the two breeds together?

I don't have experience with Akitas, but they are on my "future breed" list to own and pair up with my huskies and GSDs. I would also train them to be sled dogs. I love American Akitas, as I like their look better than the original Japanese Akita Inu. There is a reputable breeder of Akitas in Oregon, which is where we hope to retire in 1.5 years.

Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 Chrome2

Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 Chrome3
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Oh my gosh Kevin I too prefer the look of the American akita! I've always thought Japanese akitas looked kind of like large shibas lol. What's the name of the breeder you were looking into? I've been checking out one in Arkansas because she seems to do a lot of health testing and is active in the akita club of America. Have you joined akita world? I did and kind of regret it lol. I got spoiled by good info and mature attitude of this forum and those people... Not so much.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Rumflower wrote:
Oh my gosh Kevin I too prefer the look of the American akita! I've always thought Japanese akitas looked kind of like large shibas lol. What's the name of the breeder you were looking into? I've been checking out one in Arkansas because she seems to do a lot of health testing and is active in the akita club of America. Have you joined akita world? I did and kind of regret it lol. I got spoiled by good info and mature attitude of this forum and those people... Not so much.

www.sondaisakitas.com

I like the looks of their dogs. I would learn more about the breed before commiting to any one breeder, but it seems like this family is very active with showing their dogs. I would want a dog that could work as well. I'm not a big "show dog" person. I want my dogs to be able to perform, so being able to show and work is a huge plus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Companion breeds for huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next