It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need some advice please.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TDHawks
Newborn
Newborn
TDHawks

Need some advice please. Empty
PostSubject: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm

1st time poser here, so please take it easy Smile.

We have a 6 month old little guy, great dog. Anyways, we had roofers over on Friday to replace the roof from a hailstorm earlier this year. The sound of the roofers must have scared the crap out of my little guy, literally. He went a lot in kennel, all liquid of course, while they were working on the roof. He proceeded to do this again throughout the house about 4 more times on Friday. He did it again twice throughout the night.

Saturday and Sunday we had no issues.

I slept next to his kennel Saturday into Sunday, and heard him moving around a lot so I let him out and he ran to the door to go outside. Once out, he went to go to the bathroom, liquid again. Today, the gutters were put on the house and when I returned from work, he went in his cage again. This marks 4 days now with liquid stools. I started feeding him rice and hamburger about an hour ago, and will do so again tonight.

Clearly, he is stressed. So my question is, and I am sure there is no exact answer to this, but, how long do you think these loose stools will last? I am hoping the food helps out, but I know he is a little scared. He has never had a problem with thunderstorms or anything loud noises before, so I fear this may be the start of something.

Any advice or suggestions by chance?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi and welcome! Is the work on the house done? Or will it be continuing? The only reason I ask is because if possible, I would suggest finding somewhere he could stay temporarily where its quiet, maybe a friend's house or something. I think the loose stool will clear up pretty quickly once the work is done on the house. The thing that would worry me as a possible on-going problem would be separation anxiety. If he is so freaked out he's having liquid stool all over himself that's a pretty intense level of stress. He might develop an issue being alone in his crate, or being alone period. Hopefully a few days won't cause that, but just keep an eye out for it. Imagine if you were "trapped" in a bed sized cage with a terrifying noise for hours (btw I'm totally pro crate training, just thinking from the dogs point of view). Smile For a 6 month old, I would actually do no food for 24 hours, then the bland diet of eggs and one veggie, green beans or carrots, then slowly mix the kibble back in. I had a foster dog that had giardia once and the only thing that got him under control was no food for 48 hours. But he was over a year old and I think 48 is too long for a six month old. Good luck! I hope he feels better soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm no expert, so take what you want from this, but because he needs to go at night and it's also liquid then, I'd venture to guess his stomach is upset and that it doesn't have anything to do with the work being done on the house.

I wouldn't give him hamburger, that can be a little rough on their systems. Try egg or plain, boiled chicken. Also, if you happen to have him on a grain free food, giving him rice can further upset his stomach.

Try some egg or chicken with place green beans. A lot of folks on here suggest that and it usually clears this up pretty quickly. Also, a spoonful of plain pumpkin can help firm their stool, but be careful not to give too much as it can have the opposite effect.

Make sure he's getting enough water, so that he stays hydrated, but if he becomes lethargic or if it doesn't clear up in a day or two, I'd take him to the vet just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
TDHawks
Newborn
Newborn
TDHawks

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 pm

When you say eggs, are you suggesting I scramble up one egg and mix in a can of green beans, or the equivalent of what I would normally feed him? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. EmptyMon Jun 03, 2013 8:17 pm

I am not Katie but I think what you do is scramble eggs in a non stick pan with no oil or butter usually a couple or you can make some hard boiled eggs and give him a couple then add about a 1/4 cup green beans with no salt added kind. or blanched carrots.

You can boil some chicken if you dog doesn't have a problem with chicken alot do about a 1/3 or 1/4 pound chicken.

Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:47 am

For the bland diet of eggs and a veggie, you would give about 3 eggs and 1/3 cup of a veggie - preferably green beans or carrots.

A tablespoon of pumpkin is great as well! I would feed this bland diet until the liquid stools have stopped, probably 1-2 days depending how well it settles with him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice please.   Need some advice please. Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some advice please.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-