It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 am

So this question has been posed to me before and I just realized that I failed to address it in an official post. I've been searching for it and couldn't find it. So here's my official sticky on what a treat is and how to use them!

What are treats?
So "Treats" are our version of reputation points. You can give someone treats or take them away. Since post count doesn't accurately reflect a person's knowledge set when it comes to dogs, we try to use treats as a way to help other members distinguish who has been around the block and knows his/her stuff.

When do you give treats?
-When someone says something that really helped you out.
-When someone writes a really informative post that you appreciate.
-When someone contributes positively to a discussion.

When do you take treats away?
-When someone breaks one of the Forum Rules (always displayed on the righthand sidebar of the forum).
-When someone contributes negatively to a discussion (meaning they resort to name-calling or attack another member).
-When someone posts incorrect or harmful information (Please be careful of using treats in this manner. We are ALL here to learn, but there are situations when it becomes clear that a member might be perpetuating misinformation without regard to actual facts. If the information is incorrect and the member makes NO attempt to correct him/herself, then it becomes appropriate to take away a treat for that post.)

What treats are NOT:
-Something to take away when someone posts a training method that differs from your own. (So long as a training method isn't dangerous, misleading or harmful, there is no reason to take away a treat. There is more than one way to do everything and our forum is about education and owners making the best decisions for themselves and their dogs.)
-Something to take away just because you disagree with someone's opinion. (There is a difference between an opinion and a fact. There will always be opinions that differ from our own. As long as the information is not WRONG, there is no reason to "take away treats" simply because someone does not agree with you. See Rule #1 of this forum.)
-Something to give to your friends. (They aren't population points. They are designed to help members know when they are appreciated and to help new members recognize knowledgeable members of the forum.)
-Something to give without reason. (If treats were given out willy-nilly, they would hold no purpose. We hope that they are helpful to others. If treats start to become meaningless, the staff will discuss deactivating them from the forum.

FAQs
1. Will someone know it was me who took away or gave a treat? NO. The treat process is completely anonymous unless you choose to make your choice public.
2. Can I undo giving a treat or taking one away? NO. This is why we take treats seriously. They are meant to HELP others, not to be used as a personal vendetta or a popularity contest. If you accidentally click the wrong treat or thought better of your actions, the only way to "right your wrong" is to give or take away a treat on a different post by the same member or by asking another forum member to reward or take away a treat for that same post. Even as the forum owner, I am not allowed to change someone's treat count. Please use them wisely.
3. How do I give or take away a treat?
To "give someone a treat" you must click the positive (+) sign on the righthand side of their post (notice that option is not available on any of your own posts).
What are "Treats"? Treats11

To "take a treat away" you must click on the negative sign on the righthand side of their post:
What are "Treats"? Treats12
4. How do I know that I gave a treat? When you give a positive treat, it will look like this:
What are "Treats"? Positi10
When you give a negative treat it will look like this:
What are "Treats"? Negati10
If one member gave a positive treat and another a negative treat, the post will look like this (the bar will be scaled one direction or the other if more negative/positive treats were given than the other):
What are "Treats"? Both10

What are "Treats"? Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo & made global annoucement)
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm

One treat for a smart topic. Wink
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Bump for more exposure. High traffic today has knocked this off the latest topics widget and I just wan to make sure people know that this was posted Smile Again, it's been something that has been asked of me several times. My apologies that I didn't get to it until now.

Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:01 am

Oops. I was treating when stuff was knee slapping funny.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 am

harrise wrote:
Oops. I was treating when stuff was knee slapping funny.
That's a common use too. I think that falls under "Contributes positively to the conversation." I do that once in a while too. Smile

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Bump for visibility. We've got a controversial thread with high traffic today, and there are a lot of negative treats flying around seemingly out of disagreement. Take a second to reread the sticky on treats, and keep this in mind:

Koda wrote:
What treats are NOT:
-Something to take away just because you disagree with someone's opinion. (There is a difference between an opinion and a fact. There will always be opinions that differ from our own. As long as the information is not WRONG, there is no reason to "take away treats" simply because someone does not agree with you. See Rule #1 of this forum.)

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

What are "Treats"? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:19 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Bump for visibility. We've got a controversial thread with high traffic today, and there are a lot of negative treats flying around seemingly out of disagreement. Take a second to reread the sticky on treats, and keep this in mind:

Koda wrote:
What treats are NOT:

Sad I lost 2 treats so far in that topic
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Wow someone is having fun with the negative treat button. Brady is at a -3 and I lost another one...lol
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:15 pm

Well now that I know how I can use it! Woohoo :p
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 am

-3 teehee. I was always wondering what those colored lines were.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 am

I was wondering what that was earlier today as well lol
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Please keep in mind that treats are not the Facebook equivalent to the "Like!" button Smile

Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 5:03 am

Ah, I get it now. Interesting characteristic this forum has. Jennet&Embry posted this after someone gave me a negative treat for opinion differentiation. I guess its bound to happen. Oh well I guess.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm

NICE, I was wondering what a "treat" was and how to get them. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I think people have been using the treat button as a "like" button recently.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 am

That always happens unfortunately Mad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm

So with the influx of new members I feel it is yet again a good time to reeducate as what a "treat" means and when it should be given, or taken away, from a member.

There have been a lot of treats flying around lately and I think we all need to remember that

Koda wrote:
Please keep in mind that treats are not the Facebook equivalent to the "Like!" button Smile

So please take a little bit of time and read the OP that Tori placed to get a better understanding on it. Especially when to "Take away a treat".

Because seeing someone loose a treat for a conversation that was done and finished over 4 months ago is a bit much guys. Especially when the advice given was not an attack or harmful in nature, was not incorrect, and did not break any rules.

Awarding a treat for something you found helpful from months or years ago is fine, as good or helpful information should always be rewarded, but if you weren't part of the original discussion please refrain from taking them away because you don't "agree with the poster".

What are "Treats"? Heathe10

Nothing in the above post warranted a negative treat today, and this is just one example of the many currently going around (My apologies to the OP If you feel I singled you out).

So please take a moment to understand why and when we, as a community, ideally use treats.

Thank you.
~Chris~

Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 pm

I really feel like mobile phones are the reason for 30% of the frivilous treats. Its really difficult to hit your target when the page keeps reformatting and moving while everyones avatar and signature load up. Reallllllllly hardd. Like, have thrown my phone into the play yard out of sheer frustration at this site loading, hard.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Oh trust me I understand accidents happen. Especially with the mobile phones.

This is more a reminder to our newer members as it is pretty obvious that not all of the current treats are "mistakes", good or bad.

Mistakes will happen, I've miss clicked before too. I'm just reminding people to think about both up voting or down voting a bit more then like or dislike Wink

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 am

I am so use to the negative treat thing and find it comical, but I do have to say it's funny someone is doing it in a post that was in response to you and you didn't get upset by it. Wink some people may have heart attacks if they knew how I posted 2 years ago! But thanks for this, though I don't particularly care about treats and never notice them given or taken, it's constantly brought up when I post someone untreated me, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 4:08 am

bounce
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 am

Sad that this needs a bump after less than a week, but please go through the informational post that Tori took time to write up. Giving negative or positive treats just because you agree with somebody's opinion ISN'T what it's meant for. It's really not hard - if you have questions about it, I'm sure any of the mods would be more than happy to clear anything up.

We're adults here, please let's all start acting like it.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 am

..yeah, everyone. You all need to stop giving me treatz. Ive received 2 treats this week, and most my contributions have been directly from the peanut gallery.. Start using them responsibly, these undue rewards are putting a lot of stress on me to keep being awesome.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 am

Only 2? Hmmm - you're slipping... tongue
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 am

It makes me sad that the treats aren't what they used to be, and I joined not that long ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What are "Treats"? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next