It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stray
Puppy
Puppy

Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? Empty
PostSubject: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptySat May 18, 2024 11:57 pm

So my girl reasonably walks with me, until she smells dog pee in an area, and she diverts and pulls to smell it, when done smelling it, she will come back.

I feel I have to allow this to some degree because it seems like how she finds a spot to pee or poop for herself, but I've started trying to correct it after I know she has pooped and no longer needs to.

Ive been watching some dog training videos on how they correct the dog so much that the dog doesn't do anything but walk right by the owner under all circumstances. I wonder, is that even possible or good with huskies? Like I am under the impression huskies just have a strong instinct to smell other dog pee and chase squirrels and it can never be fully gone, is that true?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptySun May 19, 2024 10:53 am

Yes, you can train a dog to walk beside you without stopping. But - what is the walk for? To my mind, smelling is good mental stimulation for the dog - one of the primary ways they get information about the world. Someone on here once referred to it as "read the pee mail." Of the goal of the walk is your own exercise or get the dog pee'd and pooped with alacrity so you can get to work etc, then yes t train the dog to respond to those needs. But still find time for a long walk that allows time to read the pee-mail.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptySun May 19, 2024 6:05 pm

I'm seeing that you aren't really sure what you want.  Do you want to allow them to smell the roses or do you want them to always beside you??

Honestly the best possible is both ... When you're walking a dog in the park (forest) keeping it restrained next to you is cruel ... it's like taking you to a concert and then having to wear ear plugs so you can't hear anything, I'd say that a reasonably well behaved dog deserves freedom to (drag their owner over to) smell the roses.
On the other hand, when you're walking you pet in the city and their are others on the sidewalk around you, you don't want to allow your dog to be on a lead that will trip others.

You can train both, if you're consistent the dog will realize how they need to act in the different situations.  (( But training an off lead dog - especially a husky - is an entirely different operation. ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptyThu May 23, 2024 5:19 pm

She also really doesn't listen to me outside. Inside she is great. I say her name. She comes over, looks up at me. I say her name again, immediately she looks up at me and pays attention to me.

Outside I call her name and she does not look at me. Especially if there is any other visible dog or too many people around. She's always too vigilante. I've been trying to call her name and give her a treat outside more so she learns to pay attention and look at me when called. If no one else or no other dog is around, that sorta works, she'll stop and glance me in the eye quickly. But any other dog, or too many people, and she just won't break fixation and look at me. Even holding treat in front of her nose won't turn her head up to look at me. I started to use a slip lead to give some more pull to disrupt her if she becomes fixated on another dog, but it doesn't break her attention on the other dog and bring it back to me. I've tried all in combination, then even breaking her line of sight to the other dog by standing in front of her and holding her head to look up at me, but she resists. Just will not look up at me at all and break fixation. I really don't want to use anything more harsh because she is really such a mellow dog, but I just seem to be unable to get her to break attention on something else outside and look at me once she fixates. I kind of don't know what else to do except just trying to give her more periodic treats and hope she learns to be more responsive outside. Is there something else to do?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptyFri May 24, 2024 11:42 am

A lot of dogs are like that - my Avalanche is good in the house but when we're outside where there's a lot of distraction, well, forget getting his attention.
It's fairly simple - there's too much outside that he needs to see and/or play with. I'm old stuff, he'll listen to me when we get back home.
While I'm not concerned about Avalanche, he's a gentle bear. He chases rabbits so they can all get their exercise - I've never seen any indication that he's caught one.
He's my favourite traveling companion, his head is over my shoulder and he's constantly looking - he's pointed things out to me that I hadn't seen. He's fun!! But there are rules: you can't get in the front seat (at least not while I"m in it); when I say 'back' that means back up NOW! (don't need him obstructing my view)
I've worked with him so that he naturally responds to some commands: "DOWN!" was required early on since he's such a big ambitious pup.
Now to answer your question - as much as I can - if you and she both like going out, then you need to start teaching her how to behave from the inside the door.
If you want to go out, you set patiently while I put on your lead.
You don't rush the door (I've used some force with this. Pup runs into my hand effectively stopping them.)
If someone / something is out there you wait. (Needs a friend to help set this up)

I could labour this to death but I won't, I think you get my idea. To train her how to behave when she's in the mall with you, you start at home teaching what is and what isn't acceptable.
(( And I'm having a lot of the same problems with my new, too young 'monster' ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptyFri May 31, 2024 2:50 am

She does actually come over to door calmly, sits down, waits for me to put on lead, lets me go out the door first. She's quite well behaved indoors.

She is even decently behaved in crowded areas. Like she is decent in the pet store. Or if we go to like farmers market or some fair where there are lots of people around. She is even okay with other dogs being relatively close in such scenarios.

It is when she is outside in what she thinks is her own territory that she doesn't listen. Which has unfortunately expanded to the entire block and the dog park behind the block. She very vigilante, reactive to other dogs, and now this year seems even more reactive to people.

She's now taken up to barking at every neighbor in what she thinks is her own territory too. It's not an uncontrollable barking. If I give a pull and say shush she generally stops. But every person she has to let out one quick piercing RUFF and she freaks out the neighbors. Keeps everyone on guard. Like she's shouting HEY at everyone she passes. I'm trying to get this to stop. There are a couple old ladies she always freaks out because she gives her interrogating RUFF and she has quite the resting bitch face that does not look friendly. I have to always clarify she's not aggressive. I have not figured out how to deal with this unfortunately.

Shes just fine if you come over and say hello and do the dog greet just fine, but for some people she RUFFs at them and then gives them the resting bitch face, and then they get startled, and she thinks they are suspicious because of that, then that person seems to get on her shitlist and she gives an even more stern RUFF or louder bark next time like an "IM WATCHING YOU" warning. Unfortunately some people seem to have phobia of big dogs so they dont want to come over and do the whole dog greet thing.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? EmptyFri May 31, 2024 10:53 am

Are you sure it's "I'm watching you' and not an excited husky wanting to meet people? When we first got Ami, my husband told me he didn't think Any liked him. When I asked why he though that, he said every time I walk by him he growls at me. I was quite concerned - until I was outside one day and witnessed the behavior in question. Asked hubby if that was what he was referring to, hubby said yes I started laughing, "that's not a growl, that's a 'hi, how are you, where have you been all my life, nice to meet you' sort of talk."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?   Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it reasonable to expect no pulling with huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1