It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recall Information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Recall Information - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 9:04 am

Al - from what I've read, there have been a total of 7 cases of Salmonella between January 14, 2023 and August 19, 2023. Six of those were 1 or younger. Five of thoses reported exposure to dogs and 3 of those were feeding Victor. Targeted testing was done by both South Carolina dept of health on a retail sample of Hi Pro Plus and by the plant itself, presumeably different samples, and found positive for the strain of salmonella identified in the 7 ill people. I guess the point I was trying to make is that the risk appears quite low as there were only 7 cases over 8 months. And its more a problem for people than dogs though dogs can be carriers. My problem, now, is what the hell do I do with almost 40 pounds of potentially tainted kibble?!!?

I love Romaine lettuce but am very much aware that it has been the source of multiple large salmonella outbreaks so there is always, in the back of my mind, "is this the salad that's gonna make me miserable for days?!!?" Ditto, eggs and chicken. I've forgotten the exact percentages, but most eggs and poultry are contaminated. Cooking eggs to hard boil is recommended and it is NOT recommended to wash poultry before cooking. But. I like soft boiled eggs, lightly cooked scrambeled eggs and runny yolk poached eggs. And, I do wash my chicken and turkey - it's slimey no matter how fresh! Guess I'm a gambler at heart. And, now, another salmonella recall on cantalopes...but, I don't eat melon unless its local and summer. Bottom line, salmonella is ubiquitous and food safety last line of defense is in the kitchen. What really scares me is listeria, particularly at our age. That one will kill you easily.

As for "One thing I noted was the use of "Poop" and "Stool" when referring to fecal material. Seems as if the CDC and others are talking down to people who they expect to read their posts." Keep in mind that not everyone knows what "fecal matter" means. Hubby tells the story of a woman who brought here daughter to the emergency dept for itching, and rash in the pubic area. After exam, he told her it was pediculosis pubis. She was exacerbated, asked what is it in plain language - his elegant response was "she has the crabs." Later, telling me the story, he did acknowledge, he could have said "pubic lice." lol! Surprisingly, that one did not result in a complaint to the hospital.

How's the hip doing?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2023 4:46 pm

Nagadoches, TX .... oh no, that's hitting way to close to home - literally!  Dog Food, Cat Food, Catfish food ... yikes!!

TFP Nutrition has expanded an earlier recall << of 25 Oct 2023 >> due to Salmonella concerns, and there are multiple dog food and cat food brands included, such as Country Acres, Red Flannel, H-E-B Texas Pets, Hill Country Fare, Lone Star, Members's Mark, Retriever, Star Pro, Paws & Claws and more.

for more information see:

Dog Food Advisor, TSP Nutrition Recall

or

Petful

or

FDA Link

@Amymeme, I know you're already watching but this lists a TSC brand.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 18, 2023 12:22 am

Al - I switched to a Diamond Naturals senior formula, it's sold at Tractor Supply but not a Tractor Supply product. To me, it's beginning to look like an ingredient used by multiple manufacturers is the source of salmonella.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 18, 2023 3:54 pm

As I'm reading it - and we already know that you and I can read the same thing and come up with diametrically opposed 'opinions' - I'd have to say one manufacturer has gotten a bad ingredient which is being used to manufacture product for several branded distributors.

Didn't we say a few posts back that it was a good year for recalls ... having so few of them this year? Looks like they were saving them all up for the end of the year.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 1:19 am

@amymeme be careful of anything by diamond/totw. I did not like what the compay said about lead and mercury in its products.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptyFri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 pm

Blue Ridge Beef has issued a voluntary recall of its Blue Ridge Beef Puppy Mix, due to Salmonella and Listeria Monocytogenes contamination.

The food affected is Puppy Mix - 2lbs UPC - 8 54298 00169 6. All lot numbers/use by dates between N24 1124 to N24 1224.

For full details, please visit this link:
Blue Ridge Beef Recall (FDA).

Essentially within minutes of each other ...

Blue Ridge Beef has expanded an earlier recall due to Salmonella and Listeria concerns, and there are multiple dog food and cat food brands included, such as their Kitten Mix, Kitten Grind, and Puppy Mix.

Petful

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 12:17 pm

I'm not sure what's happening here but they've sent out this announcement again.  There have been no cases of illness but "they" apparently want to keep it in front of us ..... ????

Recalled: Blue Ridge Beef Cat Food Kitten Grind, Blue Ridge Beef Kitten Mix, and Blue Ridge Beef Dog Food Puppy Mix (Expanded on January 3, 2024)
Urgent pet food recall by Blue Ridge Beef due to Salmonella contamination and Listeria Monocytogenes contamination in Kitten Grind, Kitten Mix and Puppy Mix.

For more information see:

Petful

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 4:22 pm

I'm guessing they want to keep this front and center because of the listeria contamination - high lethality potential for very young, elderly, pregnant women. Not a real problem for dogs or cats, just us humans that handle the pet food.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 12:29 pm

Viva has recalled one lot of Viva Duck for Dogs (Ground), Viva Duck for Dogs (Chunked), Viva Duck for Cats and Viva Pure Duck (for cats and dogs) due to potential Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes contamination.

The lot under recall is Lot 22853. The product is distributed as frozen 1lb bricks in clear vacuum packaging. Viva started shipping this lot out on 10/24/23 and the last units were distributed on 12/06/23

For more information visit:

Viva Pets
or
DogFoodAdvisor
or
Petful

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 9 Empty