It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recall :-(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

Recall :-( Empty
PostSubject: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm pretty upset about the recall with the lines of Diamond food. I currently feed Jas TOTW. I think it's a pretty good food and its about the cheapest grain-free kibble i can find. However, I am not comfortable feeding her something produced by a company that has as man recalls as Diamond has had. I really do not want to have to pay much more than what i do now, but deffinitely want to stick with grain free. I have considered Dogswell Nutrisca. Anyone else familiar or any other suggestions of a good grain free kibble that is reasonably priced?
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 am

blue buffalo and TOTW are pretty much the class leaders in terms of quality, grain-free kibble at a fair price.

Here's a link to the highest rated brands of kibble currently on the market. TOTW and Blue buffalo wilderness fall within the category. I trust TOTW, and until there is a recall on that division of Diamond specifically, i will continue to feed it to Keeonah. good luck on your search for an alternative Smile

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

I'm impressed with the 5 star review they received from the Dog Food Advisor.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dogswell-nutrisca-dog-food/

BUT a year or so ago I looked into this product and someone mention the fact that they used ingredients from China. It got to the point where even the owner of Dogswell got involved saying how his company basically certified the safety of their ingredients. Needless to say people bashed the heck out of him, but then can't blame them either look at China's record on dog treats. If you can look beyond where the ingredients come from it seems like a quality food.

Holy crapola just looked at the price compared to TOTW ...........................28lbs for $68 affraid , I get big bags of TOTW for about $46 (30lb)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:42 pm

I just did a comparison of Acana and Taste of the Wild. At first I was about ready to keel over when I saw the price, but after looking at the serving suggestions for Acana, it ended up being about the same for the foods in comparison to how much they will eat daily. right now Delilah can easy it 2.25 cups of TOTW, but Acana she only needs 1.25 - 1.5.

It also helps that she really likes the taste. Honestly, if you can shell out the extra 15 bucks, I think it is a wise decision. I don't hate TOTW, but the fact that Diamond is trying so hard to cover everything off doesn't make me trust their food.

But, that's just me.

http://www.wag.com/buy?s=acana&SubCatalog=

use the coupon code for wagny25 and you will save 25%
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Quote :
I get big bags of TOTW for about $46 (30lb)

I think the 30lbs bags of TotW by me are $78/bag. The bags of Orijen 6 fish are $88.

I have yet to find an online retailer who offers significant savings for our area yet either. If any of you want to make money hand over foot, find a way to get cheap pet food delivered to Canada Razz

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:44 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I just did a comparison of Acana and Taste of the Wild. At first I was about ready to keel over when I saw the price, but after looking at the serving suggestions for Acana, it ended up being about the same for the foods in comparison to how much they will eat daily. right now Delilah can easy it 2.25 cups of TOTW, but Acana she only needs 1.25 - 1.5.

It also helps that she really likes the taste. Honestly, if you can shell out the extra 15 bucks, I think it is a wise decision. I don't hate TOTW, but the fact that Diamond is trying so hard to cover everything off doesn't make me trust their food.

But, that's just me.

http://www.wag.com/buy?s=acana&SubCatalog=

use the coupon code for wagny25 and you will save 25%

I'm thinking of switching over too - diamond is making me nervous. But Ava hardly eats as it is (maybe 1cup a day, unless she gets a ton of exercise), so on Acana she probably wouldn't eat much at all. Thanks for the coupon code!
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Tika wrote:
Quote :
I get big bags of TOTW for about $46 (30lb)

I think the 30lbs bags of TotW by me are $78/bag. The bags of Orijen 6 fish are $88.

I have yet to find an online retailer who offers significant savings for our area yet either. If any of you want to make money hand over foot, find a way to get cheap pet food delivered to Canada Razz

~Chris~

I can walk into the mom and pop pet shop here in town and buy 30lb bags of TOTW for $45 bucks. i think it's pretty cheap to ship with a greyhound bus isn't it?

If you can do legwork to find the cheapest possible way to get it to you, I'd be willing to help get it there. I haven't seen 30lb bags this cheap anywhere else, online or brick and mortar
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Tika wrote:

find a way to get cheap pet food delivered to Canada Razz

~Chris~

Have you checked to see if Wag.com ships to Canada?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Quote :
Have you checked to see if Wag.com ships to Canada?

I've called and talked to a couple of US based retailers. The ones that do wave their "Free shipping" policies because it's going outside of the US. Border duties and gas charges and all and I totally understand that.

The ones I have talked to have quoted me roughly 30$ in shipping charges to get it to Quebec. Which would level off to pretty much what I'm paying here in stores.

The thing that Irks me is the Orijen. It's being made and produced here in Canada you would think it would be cheaper and not the most expensive but oh well Razz.

Quote :
If you can do legwork to find the cheapest possible way to get it to you, I'd be willing to help get it there.

I Appreciate that a lot Sean but as it stands right now I'm already cheating the system. My Uncle lives in NY. I just have him bring down a bunch of bags with him when he crosses for Family functions 4 times a year Razz. It works alright.... Though I do have to eat an ear full about how bad driving 3 hours with a van that sticks to "High heavens of fish" isn't pleasant every time he's in town Smile.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Just catching up on this. Wonderful! Right when I started feeding TOTW to mine this happens Razz We put Asia on it since we got her 2 weeks ago and started transitioning the other 2 over. I don't think it's settling too well with Asia's tummy anyway so I was thinking of switching, again! Now to find a grain free, all life stages kibble that will work for Kody. Ha!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 pm

I have always believed that when a business / a school / a country suffers a tragedy, they will operate safer and more careful than the other businesses / schools / countries out there. Locally, I have seen businesses that have gone through tragedy tighten security and change policies so that I would feel safer with them than any of the businesses who have not suffered a similar tragedy. Another example is Virginia Tech. Because of the tragedy of April 2007, they began implementing much tighter security as well as better rapid response and early warning systems. Even our country after 9/11...

I have confidently fed Diamond products thinking that, sadly, they must have learned their lesson from past experience. Perhaps that is not the case.... and now I question the wisdom of using their products as well....
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Lisa, Diamond has had recall after recall for many many years...if they haven't figured it out by now I don't expect them to in the future. No

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:24 pm

This actually has me considering switching. I like to not be super reactionary about stuff, but now that I'm learning about Diamond's history I think it's time to go research what I can get in this area. We've got an almost new bag of TOTW, but once that runs low I think I'm going to look into something else.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Recall :-( 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:33 pm

My thoughts exactly, Meredith. Its sad too, because TOTW seems like such a good food.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Myndi wrote:
My thoughts exactly, Meredith. Its sad too, because TOTW seems like such a good food.

Agreed, and Ghost has done so well on it. I just need to go do a breakdown of feeding amount vs. cost, and then see what I can get locally vs. what I have to order online. There are a couple of pet stores down in Pensacola that I can probably find stuff like Acana and Orijen at, and now that Aaron is working down there it would be easier to get it.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Recall :-( 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:46 pm

This is just my personal experience with TOTW, but I have fed it for years knowing full well about the Diamond recalls.

In searching for a food that worked with my budget and my dog's tummies, TOTW came out on top several times. The dogs love it, they do well on it, and I can comfortably afford it.

As someone else mentioned, the Diamond recalls have never affected the TOTW line. The recalls have always been in grain-inclusive foods, mostly having to do with contamination of the grain itself.

My dogs are healthy and happy and have been for years. However, I DO watch the recalls closely and should anything ever get close to affecting the TOTW line, my husband and I have decided we will re-evaluate then.

Just my Recall :-( 2144500265 I don't begrudge anyone who refuses to feed TOTW for reasons of recall. This had just always been our personal choice.

Recall :-( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Also- Diamond has a history or prematurely recalling salmonella-contaminated foods. That's happened at least once before in my recent memory, but here's a statement from the most recent recall:
Quote :
A statement from the company said the recall includes one production run of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food. The Meta, Mo.-based company said one bag tested positive for salmonella, and the recall of four production codes is being conducted as a precautionary measure. No dog illnesses have been reported.

The product was distributed to customers in 10 states: Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.

Recall :-( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Im with Tori, i do not plan on switching for the reasons she stated. i have been watching this thread as well as all the recalls and if in fact TOTW was recalled then maybe i would rethink but for now we are sticking with it till i see something off in our own dogs the makes me worried. we can't afford any of the higher kibble and we don't have the room to store raw.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:51 pm

We feed ToTW and will probably continue to do so for a long time running. I can't help but think that the raw eggs and raw meat that some feed their dogs wouldn't cause the same kind of reaction/recall were it to slip into the production line.

Maybe I'm crazy - but I trust Diamond just as much as I would trust myself to feed the appadog raw. Which isn't to say I don't trust myself to feed him raw - I would if I wasn't so lazy and my wife agreed to it.

I'm not defending Diamond here, I'm simply making a point - they produce way more food per year than the smaller mom & pop shops, by default they are going to suffer from more manufacturing problems than the smaller companies. Lets say 1 in a 10 million bags of food have a recall - Diamond will hit that 1 bag far faster than a small company that produces 10,000 bags of a food a year.

Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't think I'd stop feeding TOTW completely unless they ever had a recall of it. But for now, I think I'll be adding more foods into the rotation and easing up on feeding TOTW. Ava's done really well on it and has been eating it since she was a puppy, so at least we haven't had any problems with it.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 4:55 pm

almost 3 years of healthy husky with TOTW should be pretty comforting;)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:16 pm

We all say that it doesn't matter, and that it hasn't affected our dog..but what if it does. We are all very devout husky lovers, I would hate to see anyone get sick. I would rather be safe then sorry. Even if it means I have to bit the bullet and spend a little bit more.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Ok very weird. Pet store was totally out of TOTW. They never are! Suspect
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 6:58 pm

They're out because of a voluntary recall. No dogs have been harmed yet - they took the pre-emptive. The ToTW wasn't even effected, but it's manufactured in the same plant as a food that was. They stopped shipments from that single plant entirely.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Picked up a bag of EVO. Gonna try to switch to that and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( Empty

Back to top Go down

Recall :-(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next