It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recall :-(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Recall :-( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't know who I trust less... Proctor and Gamble or Diamond!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I don't know who I trust less... Proctor and Gamble or Diamond!

I don't trust anything from Diamond, Menu Foods, or ANI...they all have bad track records.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm

They just expanded the recall to Diamond brand puppy food...
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 pm

norbreedslove wrote:

This is why I'm so worried that its gonna eventually go to TOTW. Its getting crazy that they expand the recall every other day Recall :-( - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Myndi wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

This is why I'm so worried that its gonna eventually go to TOTW. Its getting crazy that they expand the recall every other day Recall :-( - Page 2 1625187496

Tonight was my last of TOTW, Im going to the feed store and compare foods tomorrow. lol
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 pm

¿This again?

I thought someone was working on a notoriously difficult command of some sort.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
Tonight was my last of TOTW, Im going to the feed store and compare foods tomorrow. lol

Good luck! The only direction to go is up when it comes to pricing for grain-free. I picked EVO because of the high protein content and it calls for smalling servings. So i think in the long run it will probably cost about as much as TOTW.

Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 pm

Ava really loved the EVO red meat and fish formulas. It looks really good, but I'm kinda wary of P&G owning them now. There's not a whole lot locally for me to pick from, so we're going online to shop for food. I'm finding that its actually cheaper (in most cases) to buy food online, shipping and all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:58 am

I dont know, a small mom and pop store around us has a buys program and i can use 10% off programs. It costs me about the same now for Acana. Its nice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:01 am

I've used and presently using Natures Select of course the salmon for Adobo & Biko. Both of them eat it readily. Not available all over though so you might have a bit of difficulty in obtaining, Oh yeah it cost less then TOTW and received 4 of 5 stars from Dog Food Advisor. ( http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-select-grain-free/ )

http://naturalpetfooddelivery.com/
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:07 am

Len, your dogs are beautiful. Just so you know.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 4:02 am

How come dogs don't get sick from eating raw chicken when that has salmonella but they do from food with salmonella?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:06 am

Found the recall numbers and dates, which involves Diamond, which by the way only involves the Lamb & Rice.

Product Name Bag Size Production Code & “Best Before” Code
Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 6lb DLR0101D3XALW Best Before 04 Jan 2013
Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 20lb DLR0101C31XAG Best Before 03 Jan 2013
Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101C31XMF Best Before 03 Jan 2013
Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101C31XAG Best Before 03 Jan 2013
Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101D32XMS Best Before 04 Jan 2013

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm299606.htm

Even though I've have my doubts about Diamond, I feel IF pet stores that are pulling other products off the shelf maybe they are over reacting.

This is the most recent FDA recall list for all brands.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/#Dog
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:24 am

"We're sorry. But Natural Select does not have an online distributor in your area." ...or any other distributor it appears...

So... these dog food companies are so intertwined and bought out that I have NO idea what I'm looking at! I was happily reading all about Natura Pets (manuf. of Evo, etc.) thinking, "Wow, what a nice-sounding company." only to be reminded by you guys that P&G bought Natura last year.

Is there a list of who makes / owns what somewhere? I can't find one! You can't even always find parent companies listed on dog food websites.

I use Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (Isn't that a stupid name?) canned food to stuff in Sabaka's Kong as a treat sometimes. I should look again, but I don't think the can says "Diamond" on it anywhere. Crazy...
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:37 am

Geez the avalanche continues:

http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/updates.php?ID=4

http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/updates.php

Lisa,
I believe Natura and Natures Select are 2 different companies, but your right it is very difficult to figure out who makes what, I do intend to contact my distributor and find out who does make Natural Select.

Last edited by Here4thePics on Tue May 01, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:42 am

Yes, Len, Natura is owned by P&G and manufactures Evo and Innova and California Naturals and a few others that I'd never seen in the stores (that I remember anyway). I don't think they manufacture Natural Select. I can get all of these Natura products locally.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 2:04 pm

wuts wrong with p&g??
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm

P&G has had a habit of buying up the little but quality dog food mfg's because of their good reputation. Then it seems they play with the original formula to make it "new & improved." BUT it seems they cheapen the quality and then its down hill from there.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Lisa, I can tell you that the following foods are self manufactured:
Orijen & Acana (Champion)
Merrick
Fromm

Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Regarding the Lamb and Rice formula that was recalled......that's what we've been feeding, and when the recall first came out, we were half way through a best by March something or other 2013 bag, so I would *think* that for many, the food would already have been given to the pets???

What are people supposed to do? Keep the UPC and exp. part of the bag just in case of a recall?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Val, Merrick had a recall a few years ago involving formaldehyde found in a batch of food. We have fed Merrick before. I just guess no one is perfect...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 6:27 pm

dahowlers wrote:
How come dogs don't get sick from eating raw chicken when that has salmonella but they do from food with salmonella?
Salmonella in large quantities is too much for a dog to process. Humans can barely tolerate it. Dogs are built to withstand small amounts for obvious reasons (raw food).

However, this is why I am weary of any recall involving recall for salmonella.
1. People think that salmonella is just as toxic for dogs as it is for humans so they overreact.
2. Companies end up responding to the hysterical people who are misinformed just to save face.
3. This leads them to pull food from the shelves for "no good reason".

Personally-- seeing that no reactions or pet sicknesses have been reported, I am leaning towards this is another move to appease the masses and not because it's actually a toxic incident. But that's just my speculation.

Recall :-( - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 6:35 pm

I know your all jumping on and changing food, and i know how Val feels but i have to say that as LARGE as this forum has become and with soooooo many of us feeding TOTW in so many states in the 3yrs that we have been around i can't recall anyone coming on here saying their husky has gotten sick from TOTW other then the pup just not liking the food, and having to change the flavor or just try something new. i mean how many human meat has been recalled in the past but has that stopped anyone from eating it? what about the big blow up over the "pink slime" that was news for like 2 weeks and then nothing more was said about it... to each his own on what they want to do, just saying i need more of a reason to jump up and change food.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 6:51 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Val, Merrick had a recall a few years ago involving formaldehyde found in a batch of food. We have fed Merrick before. I just guess no one is perfect...

Yes they've had recalls not just on their food but on some of their treats too. I just listed them because they do manufacture their own food. Regardless, Merrick doesn't have the history that Diamond does. If I had to choose between something manufactured by Merrick or Diamond, I'd pick Merrick in a heartbeat.

Jenn, it's not just about jumping ship over contamination. It's also about supporting a company with questionable practices. Your purchases vote for what you as a consumer want. If you want to support such practices and companies that's your business. I just don't understand why people are so complacent about something as vital as a food manufacturer yet wouldn't put up with that from many other product companies. Take the custom harnesses for example, and how many people jumped ship with Alpine Outfitters orders based on a few negative experiences, and that doesn't even have an effect on anyones health. I'm not arguing with you and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but this may be about more than just the physical food and whether a specific formula was affected. I bet if a company determined that no one would buy their product because of their manufacturer choice they'd be much more likely to do what it takes to keep their customers happy. This is why I support companies who are more transparent and listen to their customers on every aspect of their product.

Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!
So I should be more worried about the fact that store-bought chicken is soaked in bleach than having salmonella in dog food. haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recall :-(   Recall :-( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Recall :-(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2