It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recall Information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Recall Information - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm

I've actually skipped posting two alerts since they, in my mind, reiterated the information found in the previous post. This one is a bit different:

After posting 2 recalls in 4 weeks, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is now warning consumers to avoid buying or feeding ALL pig ears pet treats.
The outbreak of human Salmonella caused by exposure to the contaminated treats has now spread to 33 states.

To learn which states are included in the outbreak, please visit the following link:

FDA: Do Not Buy or Feed ANY Pig Ears Pet Treats (DogFoodAdvisor)

-or-

The FDA announcement

-or-

The CDC Announcement

There are now 127 confirmed cases of human salmonella poisoning related to these pigs ears. The origin, as I read it, seems to be pigs ears from south America though Canada and Europe have also issued recalls.'

If you're using pigs ears treats now might be a good time to find something else - at least for the nonce.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners not to feed certain lots of Texas Tripe brand raw pet food after samples tested positive for Salmonella and Listeria. These bacteria can cause serious illness to humans and pets. The company is recalling the products.
For complete details, please visit the following link:

Texas Tripe Recalls Pet Food Due to Salmonella and Listeria  (DogFoodAdvisor)

-or-

The FDA information site

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Continuing on with the pigs ears:

Dog Goods USA LLC is recalling its Chef Toby brand pig ears dog treats due to possible contamination with Salmonella bacteria. The affected products were distributed nationwide from September 2018 through August 2019.

Dog Goods USA Recalls Chef Toby Pig Ears Dog Treatsx  (DogFoodAdvisor)

-or-

FDA Link for voluntary recall

Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 pm

My vet told me about this FDA study.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/07/grain-free-dog-food-fda-warning/593167/
Bodhi is ten, is completely healthy and has been on TOTW Pacific Stream since he was 1.5.
The vet suggested I switch Bodhi's food from a grain free brand to one with grain.
What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 11:05 pm

@jalapeno so they dont know why they think its peas and legumes. My current dog food is legume free. Ive talked to my uncle about the dcm thing ALOT it goes nowhere because they really dont have an answer. I went grain free because of spider my other 3 can eat anything bit if spider gets it she gets sick so we only buy food all 4 can eat. And it goes both ways, i had a dog die years ago that my vet was conviced it was death by alpo.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 1:33 pm

@jalapeno, I've also commented in a PM but if you look at this FDA link they essentially acknowledge that there's a problem but have no idea of the cause - or even if there is one cause.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Brutus & Barnaby is recalling all size variations of its Pig Ears for Dogs due to potential contamination with Salmonella bacteria.
The affected products were distributed nationwide by Amazon, Chewy and other retail outlets.

Brutus & Barnaby Pig Ears Dog Treats Recall DogFoodAdvisor

-or-

FDA Recall Notice

-or-

Brutus & Barnaby Web Site

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm

jalepeno wrote:
My vet told me about this FDA study.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/07/grain-free-dog-food-fda-warning/593167/
Bodhi is ten, is completely healthy and has been on TOTW Pacific Stream since he was 1.5.
The vet suggested I switch Bodhi's food from a grain free brand to one with grain.
What do you think?

Michael, I'm on the fence about the whole DCM issue.  I do think something is going on but what, who knows. I switched from TOTW shortly after the news came out, not entirely about the DCM thing, also because I got a new bag of the TOTW and none of the dogs would eat it. Had to get new food ASAP as I was out and found Victor Hi Pro Plus at my local garden store where I drive by everytime I grocery shop.  And, its a 40 pound bag cheaper than the TOTW 30 pound bag. And Dog Food advisor gives it a 5 star. And several fb husky groups have people who swear by it...all in all, it became a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm

I rarely go on a diatribe but I'm going to ...

Since May of 2015, I've religiously posted information about recalls that might affect our furred friends.  After checking to make sure that the posts were being read, I simply posted them as I got them from other sites - DogFoodAdvisor, the FDA, etc.  

Since 2015, we've gone from a very active forum to one that's almost inactive.  At one time if one didn't check the "Latest Topics" a couple of times a day you were out of the loop; today the dates on the "Latest Topics" stretch over two weeks!!

I know there's FaceBook, Twitter, etc but only in a forum can I come in and request help and get pointed to situations similar to mine that occurred with someone else's dog - maybe 5 - 8 - 10 years ago!  That information is still pertinent but stands to be lost simply because no one knows where to look for it.

I really enjoy seeing what other folks are doing with their pups; @RedFlashFire05 and her garden, @Artic_Wind and his pool for example.  At my age, I don't get out with the pups as much as I'd like, of course at their age they're content to stay in the shade so unlike others, I don't have the opportunity to get the pictures they do - but I still enjoy looking ...

I'll post a couple of recent recalls in the next message ... but really wonder why I do.

Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Al- i value your posts.
Thank you for informative posts about the health of our dogs.
I think what you do is important.
Keep on posting!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 10:25 am

If it isn't posted here I tend to not see it unless it's some hugely known brand in which case I don't worry because I don't feed the big name brands in either food or treats. I signed up for the DFA newsletter alerts but hotmail (outlook) does not seem to like them and either junks them or stops them altogether. Not sure what's going on there.

@jalepeno @amymeme as far as my two cents on DCM. It's not worth switching our dogs. The dogs in question are still dogs that have a higher risk of DCM and are breeds largely developed in the grain-belt. Our dogs still have the dietary closeness to wolves that make it unlikely that dietary DCM will be an issue. DCM is more a concern for other breeds. Peas and Legumes have become the new corn for a lot of people. And grain free has become the new crutch for every vet who sees a large heart or hears a cough that doesn't want to actually run an echo. But as the FDA has already said numerous times don't switch unless there's a problem. If your dogs have always done fine and are still doing fine continue doing what you are doing. Don't mess with success.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2019 5:58 pm

Over the past 3 weeks there have been four recalls.  

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners not to feed certain lots of Aunt Jeni's Home Made dog food after samples tested positive for Salmonella and Listeria. These bacteria represent a serious threat to both human and animal health.

FDA Warning: Do Not Feed Certain Lots of Aunt Jeni's Dog Food

Dog Goods USA is expanding its recent recall to include all 30-pack sizes of Berkley Jensen Brand pig ears dog chews due to potential contamination with Salmonella bacteria. The treats were sold nationwide at BJ's Wholesale Club stores. For complete details, please visit the following link:

Berkley Jensen Pig Ears Dog Chews Sold at BJ's Wholesale Club Recalled

Hill's Pet Nutrition confirms the company has discontinued production and sale of its Hill's Ideal Balance dry and wet dog foods. No reason for this action has been given.

See Hill's Web Site

TDBBS of Richmond, VA, is recalling limited lots of its USA-made pig ear pet treats due to potential contamination with Salmonella bacteria. The treats were sold through Amazon. For details, please visit the following link:

TDBBS Recalls USA-Made Pig Ear Pet Treats

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2019 12:43 pm

It is believed that the Ideal Balance line is being discontinued in lue of the Bio-Active line from what I've heard.

Not sure pigs ears will ever be safe again. Oy...

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm

FDA: Do Not Feed Performance Dog Raw Pet Food

September 26, 2019 — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is cautioning pet owners not to feed their pets any Performance Dog frozen raw pet food after a sample tested positive for Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono).

Performance Dog Food DogFoodAdvisor

-or-

FDA site

I don't know whether I missed this when it came through the DogFoodAdvisor System or ....??? (or as I almost did here wrote the note and forgot to Send it after reviewing it.)

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 pm

One Lot of Aunt Jeni’s Dog Food Tests Positive for Salmonella

February 14, 2020 — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is cautioning pet owners not to feed one lot of Aunt Jeni’s Home Made frozen raw pet food.

The warning was issued because a recent sample collected from a retail store in the District of Columbia tested positive for Salmonella… and because the affected food represents a serious threat to human and animal health.

FDA Recall (DogFoodAdvisor)

-or-

FDA Notice (FDA)

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Health Canada is recalling Carnivora Fresh Frozen Patties for Dogs and Cats due to possible contamination with E. coli O157.

For details, please visit the following link:
DogFoodAdvisor Notice

-or-

Carnivora Dog and Cat Food Recall (Canda Health)

-or-

Carnivora Web Site

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 8:09 pm

The recall is for certain bags of Nature's Menu dry dog food. Get the full details, including exact formula, size and lot numbers, right here:

Petful.com

-or-

FDA Link

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Sunshine Mills is recalling multiple brands of dog food due to elevated levels of aflatoxin... a by-product of mold that can be dangerous to dogs.  The brands being recalled are: Family Pet, Heartland Farms, Paws Happy Life

For full details, please visit the following link:

Sunshine Mills Recalls Multiple Dog Food Brands Due to Aflatoxin ( Dog Food Advisor )

-or-

FDA's notice

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 10, 2020 12:01 pm

I've been remiss so I'm going to run a cumulative update here:

Sept 22, 2020
Real Pet Food Company of Phoenix, Arizona, is recalling its Billy + Margot Wild Kangaroo and Superfoods Recipe due to possible contamination with Salmonella bacteria.

Real Pet Food Company Recalls Billy + Margot Dog Food

(( does anyone here in the US feed Kangaroo?? ))

Oct 6, 2020
The Public Health Agency of Canada is investigating a deadly Salmonella outbreak that appears to be linked to 2 brands of pig ears dog treats.

Deadly Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Pig Ears Dog Treats

Oct 10, 2020  (er make that 10-10-20-20)
Our old friends at Sunshine Mills is expanding its latest recall to now include 15 brands of pet food due to high levels of aflatoxin... a by-product of mold that can be dangerous to dogs and cats.

To see which brands are being recalled, please visit the following link:

15 Pet Food Brands Recalled Due to High Levels of Aflatoxin

Brand List
Here's the list of brands:

1. Champ
2. Family Pet
3. Field Trial
4. Good Dog
5. Heartland Farms
6. Hunter's Special
7. Old Glory
8. Paws Happy Life
9. Pet Expert
10. Principle Super Premium
11. Retriever
12. River Bend
13. Sportsman's Pride
14. Sprout
15. Thrifty
16. Top Runner
17. Whiskers & Tails

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 pm

A few dozen cases of Albright's Raw Dog Food are being recalled after one animal got sick. Turns out the food had salmonella contamination, according to test results from the FDA.

Get the full details (including exact recipe, size and lot number) at the following link:

Petful

-or-

FDA

-or-

DogFoodAdvisor Notice

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 pm

The FDA has announced that Midwestern Pet Food is recalling select lots of Sportmix dog and cat foods because they contain potentially deadly levels of aflatoxin.

For more information follow these links:

DogFoodAdvisor Notice

-or-

Petful Notice

-or-

The FDA's notice

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 12:13 pm

We might want to keep an eye on this as it's expanding ....

The FDA has announced that Midwestern Pet Food is expanding its recent recall to include more brands and over 1000 lots of its dog and cat foods because they contain potentially deadly levels of aflatoxin.

FDA is aware of at least 70 deaths and 80 illnesses in dogs who ate the affected products.

DogFoodAdvisor Link

-or-

Petful link

-or-

FDA link

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 pm

Has to do specifically with corn and a plant in Oklahoma
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2021 11:43 am

Lostmaniac wrote:
Has to do specifically with corn and a plant in Oklahoma

True, but with over 150 pets dead or sick from a product distributed nationwide it bears watching.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2021 11:50 am

Yup i agree. Especially since it effects almost all the inexpensive dog food and some cat food brands sold by tractor supply.

Also i was alerted to a small recall involving one of the freezedried and frozen raw brands by where i get my dog food. Something about abnormally large bone chunks that could be a choking hazard to smaller dogs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recall Information   Recall Information - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Recall Information

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next