It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... Empty
PostSubject: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 am

Giving them a common enemy.

SQUIRRELS!!

Haha, I swear the squirrels here purposely taunt them. We've got a tree right in the front window that the squirrels just go crazy on. Bode and Myles seem to want to tag team them...

The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... Huntin10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:47 am

Haha! That's so cute Smile I wish that would work on my two... unfortunately my neighbors just bought an outdoor cat... they KNOW what happened to the last one, I'm not sure what possessed them to get one... but now the cat taunts my two and I'm petrified they are going to jump the fence to get him Sad

The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

Male Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 am

Koda wrote:
Haha! That's so cute Smile I wish that would work on my two... unfortunately my neighbors just bought an outdoor cat... they KNOW what happened to the last one, I'm not sure what possessed them to get one... but now the cat taunts my two and I'm petrified they are going to jump the fence to get him Sad

I would suppose its because they have the right to own any pet they wish, and you are responsible for your own and should take measures so that they cannot attempt to kill an animal in another yard.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 am

Frebu wrote:
Koda wrote:

I would suppose its because they have the right to own any pet they wish, and you are responsible for your own and should take measures so that they cannot attempt to kill an animal in another yard.
I get your point, although there was probably a more polite way that you could have said that. And we DO take precautions. However, there's not much we can do when the cat is in our yard and there are NO precautions that they take to keep the cat out of ours. We've been discussing if there is more we can do about the current fencing that was more than adequate before there was a cat wandering the neighborhood. It goes both ways though.

ETA: For the record, when I said that I'm not sure what possessed them to get one... I meant an OUTDOOR cat, not a cat in general.

Back to top Go down
Frebu
Newborn
Newborn
Frebu

Male Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Koda wrote:
Frebu wrote:
Koda wrote:

I get your point, although there was probably a more polite way that you could have said that. And we DO take precautions. However, there's not much we can do when the cat is in our yard and there are NO precautions that they take to keep the cat out of ours. We've been discussing if there is more we can do about the current fencing that was more than adequate before there was a cat wandering the neighborhood. It goes both ways though.

ETA: For the record, when I said that I'm not sure what possessed them to get one... I meant an OUTDOOR cat, not a cat in general.

If the cat gets into your yard, attempt to trap it, then turn it into animal control. I would consider it a form of animal abuse to allow the cat to roam into an area where known predators reside without any precautions taken by the owners of said cat.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Frebu wrote:
Koda wrote:
Frebu wrote:
Koda wrote:

If the cat gets into your yard, attempt to trap it, then turn it into animal control. I would consider it a form of animal abuse to allow the cat to roam into an area where known predators reside without any precautions taken by the owners of said cat.

Best way to deal with something is to avoid it altogether in the first place, so this would be far from idea for both parties... Tori, good on you for trying to be prepared. I'm assuming the neighbours know you have two huskies (and that they come with a prey drive)... Have they mentioned anything that they're planning on doing to be proactive?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Check out a thread called "My Nightmare Weekend" about Koda's first cat killing experience. These were not the neighbors who owned that cat, but they did know about it. We talked about it over a few beers. They are very aware of our dogs, and have even said "It's up to the cat to defend itself. If something happens in your yard, there's nothing we can do. We won't hold you responsible." They are morbidly realistic about it. We've let him know a few times that the cat has come into our yard and we're scared of the repercussions. They haven't done anything.

They are doing nothing to prevent it from going wherever it pleases and don't plan on it.

My neighbors and I are very close-knit. While this situation bothers me, it would be beyond inappropriate and rude to trap the cat and bring it to animal control. Maybe 6 months from now if this becomes a problem, but I would have to have had many polite conversations with them first before I would be so passive aggressive. That's just not my style and does not endear me to anyone.

The only thing we can do is try and raise fence. If they didn't have little kids, I would hot wire the fence.

Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Koda wrote:

The only thing we can do is try and raise fence. If they didn't have little kids, I would hot wire the fence.

I actually LOL'd at this. How high is the fence now and how much higher are you planning on making it? I remember reading somewhere on this site that people thread pipes on the top of their fence to stop the huskies from getting out... it could work both ways with keeping the cat out of your area... Although, one downside to that is if the cat's already in your yard, it's screwed...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:24 pm

It's only a 4 ft chainlink right now, which is why they aren't ever out there unattended. We've had a lot of work to do reinforcing the bottom sections of it. We wanted to put up a privacy fence, but it would sort of ruin the neighborhood a little-- everyone is so open and friendly, and NO ONE has a privacy fence... it would be very anti-social. We'd rather not do that.

Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 pm

That does make things really difficult... I'll keep my eye open for any tips etc, and if any come my way, I'll definitely let you know. Smile Other than that, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the cat doesn't have a death wish...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah, aside from buying a 6 ft chainlink, which I really don't have the money for at the moment, I can't do much.

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Quote :
It's only a 4 ft chainlink right now, which is why they aren't ever out there unattended. We've had a lot of work to do reinforcing the bottom sections of it. We wanted to put up a privacy fence, but it would sort of ruin the neighborhood a little-- everyone is so open and friendly, and NO ONE has a privacy fence... it would be very anti-social. We'd rather not do that

So not me....

I'd be the first one on the street with a 6th Privacy Fence.

I love my neighbors...... Simply because I can't see or talk to them 90% of the time.

As my father in law says: "Good Fences make good Neighbors".

I have an Awesome Fence.

~Chris~

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Tika wrote:
Quote :
It's only a 4 ft chainlink right now, which is why they aren't ever out there unattended. We've had a lot of work to do reinforcing the bottom sections of it. We wanted to put up a privacy fence, but it would sort of ruin the neighborhood a little-- everyone is so open and friendly, and NO ONE has a privacy fence... it would be very anti-social. We'd rather not do that

So not me....

I'd be the first one on the street with a 6th Privacy Fence.

I love my neighbors...... Simply because I can't see or talk to them 90% of the time.

As my father in law says: "Good Fences make good Neighbors".

I have an Awesome Fence.

~Chris~
Truth be told, we'd prefer our privacy. We'd originally intended to put one in. But this isn't our forever home... and I think it would be weird to put one up in this neighborhood. When we originally mentioned it to our neighbors, we got some really disappointed looks. We play horseshoes with our neighbors all the time and have regular bbqs.

Back to top Go down
kcornsmell
Newborn
Newborn
kcornsmell

Male Join date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 4:06 pm

When I first got Nanook I was very worried that he would be aggressive towards my roomies cats (she had 2). I dont know if it was because he was so young or if its because he loves all animals, but they got along great! In fact he was best friends with the cat ronnie, they played all the time!

The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... Noon10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...   The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is... Empty

Back to top Go down

The secret to getting huskies and cats to coexist is...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1