It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Growling when picked up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Growling when picked up - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 am

yep, like that, but his stick was smaller and he doesn't look like a raccoon Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 am

Lol Laughing Well hopefully that works to ease the stress of picking up the little guy.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 am

They are so funny about certain things. I think they get into habits just like we do. I used to walk the same route all the time with Dizzy since I knew the sidewalks were cleaner in those areas, and he still tries to go that direction every walk we take, then acts all excited when we go a different way, even though we haven't gone that way in about 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I wish there was a more definitive way to understand growling, because a growl is not a growl is not a growl. 

I wonder how many types there are that we all just refer to as "growling"?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 pm

This is something I think I'm going to try with Dizzy, because I think it might give me a different perspective, but maybe have someone record on video you picking up Link and his 'growling.' You'll probably be able to notice different things about his expression and posture and maybe even your own. Also I downloaded that book you suggested and it is interesting, makes me want to go sit at the dog park and watch everyone else's dogs lol.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Oh, Inside of a Dog?  Awesome, let me know what you think.  We can chat about stuff too if you want, I really enjoyed that book. It is a great resource to learn how to communicate with a dog in dog language.

I could try to video it.  As of right now I am incapable of uploading videos, I think, because I don't think it is possible to upload a video right from my computer as it is for a picture....and I don't have an account anywhere that hosts videos.  I try to stay off the internet as much as I can and in fact this forum is literally my only online profile.  If I'm online I'm here learning about my pup or watching hockey highlights Smile

Last edited by seattlesibe on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I didn't necessarily mean to upload, I just mean for your own information. I will probably NEVER upload a video that actually includes me lol
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Haha, noted.  That I can do with my phone.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 11:09 am

Balon did this as well, I made sure the way we were picking up  wasn't hurting him, and I continued to pick him up, in fact I had every member of the family pick him up randomly and he did the growly thing to everyone.  I decided it's just him talking, or protesting, and I continued to pick him up whenever I wanted to lol.  Now, when he comes to you for a snuggle, and you hug him, he still does the growly thing, I believe its his way of talking!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm

I notice the same thong with hugging type of embraces too, June, that's funny, but only when it seems like I'm gonna pick him up. He actually seems to enjoy real hugs.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 9:40 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
In our 3.5 months of having Link there's been one ongoing concern that I haven't been able to figure out or correct and I was hoping to get some feedback or suggestions.

The only time Link ever growls at me or my partner (both men) is when we pick him up, and sometimes even when we go to pick him up or fake it (just to experiment or prove the point).

He otherwise never growls, not around food or toys or bones, nothing. I could put my face in his bowl of raw bison and he'd just eat around me.

This has been the case since we got him. To be fair, it is not the "I'm gonna attack you" growl it's the " this is really annoying" growl. He has never snapped or attacked and even when we get him up he is pretty calm and just exists and goes along with it.

Some circumstantial stuff that is relevant: he grew up in a house full of dogs, a woman and three girls who all constantly picked up the puppies and could hold them like rag dolls with no protest.....and then there was the husband/dad who all the puppies hated and growled at when he picked them up.

Interestingly, our friend Rhia (a woman) can pick him up just like she does Korra and he says nothing, no growling or protest.

Any advice or suggestions or explanations?? Is the gender issue really relevant you think??

Cheers.

Hey I know this has been a bit but Simon does this too. He throws a bit more of a fit and will bit at us sometimes but once you are holding him he chills out. So just freaks out while being picked up. I want to convince him that being picked up isn't bad so when we pick him at the vets or if he hurts him self it isn't traumatic.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 9:50 pm

We never worked it out. He's always hated it. eventually he was too big to do it and the problem went away.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 11:35 am

I have been working with Loki on hug and now have been picking his bottom up as he hugs me. He gets treated the whole time. He is not that irritated by me picking him up in general though. Right now I can just barely lift my lab and even my shepherd mix is hard as she is so tense. My hope is if I keep this up he will be more comfortable if I need to pick him up and carry him. I have had in past to carry my shepherd mix home when she had seizure on walk and when I have had to carry her to tub. I just want him not ti be so tense. Hope my plan works.
Back to top Go down
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

Male Join date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Deacon doesn't growl when my wife or I pick him up, but he is only okay with being held for about 10 seconds, then he starts going crazy and will wiggle his way right out of our arms.
Back to top Go down
ICRedz
Puppy
Puppy
ICRedz

Female Join date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Achilles likes to protest whenever we pick him up, but it's more a "leave me alone, I'm comfortable" than an aggressive growl. He doesn't really have a choice, though, because we live in an apartment and the only way to currently get him downstairs and outside accident-free it to carry him. So, we're essentially ignoring his protests. Such great parents. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growling when picked up   Growling when picked up - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Growling when picked up

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2