It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My husky shaved

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BrianGutierrez
Newborn
Newborn

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 pm

My mom took my husky to the grooming place since she was shedding alot of hair, and they shaved her and I am worried. Will it grow back? How long can It take..
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 pm

It should grow back but sometimes it doesn't grow back the same. Make sure you keep her out of the sun and be VERY careful to keep her from overheating. Shaved huskies overheat very quickly and sunburn very easily as they don't have any hair to keep them cool and protect their sensitive skin from the sun. They should not have shaved her and I wouldn't take her back to that groomer again.
Back to top Go down
BrianGutierrez
Newborn
Newborn

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks.. I was really worried
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Did your mom ask them to shave her?? Hopefully you and her know that shedding is normal, especially this time of year, and grooming won't make it stop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Oh my, poor thing! Caitlin covered it all so I'm sounding a bit redundant here, don't allow her to be in the sun for too long nor the heat as without their coats siberian's will get sunburnt and over-heat. It may grow back fine but then again, it may never be like it was before.

And I also agree that I would never go to that groomer again and try to educate your mom about the dangers of shaving huskies since she is the one that took them there. The groomers can sound very convincing, when I took my pups to a grooming place one time (the only time..) they kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want to get my pups shaved, and how it would help with shedding and the coat and it takes no time at all. I had to walk out of there and cancel my appointment in fear they would not listen to me and shave my pups regardless. Now I just take the pups to a wash your dog yourself place.
Back to top Go down
StMavrides
Newborn
Newborn
StMavrides

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:13 am

I should add to be extra careful with pests; as long the coat is short she's much more vulnerable.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 am

This made me realize the multitude of ways a coat if vital for a Husky, and I never even thought of pests before.

Protection from cold and snow, from heat and sun, from pests, for general stature and appearance...perhaps more as well. It'd be interesting to know how shaving would affect their working ability, if at all.

I'm dying to know who is at fault, the groomers or the mom?

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 am

Did your mom OK the shave? If not I would be going back to the groomer and cause some hell.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 pm

jbealer wrote:
Did your mom OK the shave? If not I would be going back to the groomer and cause some hell.

Exactly, but they could have just been doing what was requested by someone unamused by Husky hair.
Back to top Go down
NCSIBE
Newborn
Newborn
NCSIBE

Male Join date : 2013-06-11

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:17 pm

I had a similar experience when i was younger,In highschool and it was my first husky. Parents to my dog to have her groomed and without our consent they shaved her. Poor girls coat never came back right. I was freaking pissed
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:34 pm

My partner's dad is coming visit soon and I told him that under no circumstances is Link allowed in a vehicle alone with his granddad!!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
My partner's dad is coming visit soon and I told him that under no circumstances is Link allowed in a vehicle alone with his granddad!!  

Why? Would he shave Link?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Haha, I don't know, but after reading this story here and telling my partner about it we are, albeit somewhat facetiously, being paranoid.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Thats why i use Wag N Wash it's self groom, no shaving, if someone shaved poor Luci I'd have their head X'D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My husky shaved Empty
PostSubject: Re: My husky shaved   My husky shaved Empty

Back to top Go down

My husky shaved

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1