It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Thank God the hubby was home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

home - Thank God the hubby was home Empty
PostSubject: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Mostly I just need to vent because I'm still a little shaken up. My husband was home sick today and he and Kenzi were just chilling out. He let her out to pee and was watching some tv when a guy in a polaris mule drives up our driveway, parks in my parking spot, and commences to walk around our house to the backyard where Kenzi is. After seeing her he walks back to the Mule and gets a stick (either a cattle prod or neck loop like the dog catcher uses). By this point my husband has his gun and is in full deal-with-a-theif mode. When the guy spots him he high tails it back to the Mule and splits. I'm not sure if he was looking to steal her or punish her for something she might have done when she was loose the other day but either way he's going to regret it when I'm through with him because I know where he lives and I have connections in all the right places. The cops have had trouble with this guy before and other peoples dogs. I guess he shot a neighbors dog that was after his chickens once. But if she got at his chickens while she was out that's something he needs to take up with me, not take it into his own hands and trespass on my land to get my dog when she's in her pen. Ok, end rant. I think I'm calm now.

Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 pm

That's kind of a scary prospect knowing that there's a possible thief not too far from you. I'm glad your husband was home with his guns though otherwise who knows what could've happened...
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Thank goodness your husband was home. That's scary that the guy just feels that he can take matters into his own hands. Hopefully it all gets worked out soon.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Wow that is scary that he was coming onto your property.
I want to know what the cops will do about it.
Can you get him for trespassing?
Or will they just warn him and ask what he was doing?
If anything else is done please let us know I want to know at least if he finds out that your hubby had a gun and the cops let him know that.

Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Oh my gosh that's insane! I would have drove to his house and confronted him face to face. Keep us updated, I'm interested to find out what comes of this.
Back to top Go down
TinaR
Newborn
Newborn
TinaR

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 5:09 pm

That is extremely scary! This is why I want camera's on my property so I can see everything from my work!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 5:54 pm

I would love to somehow setup cameras that I could spy on my house (and Kenzi) from work. The cops went to the guys house but he was conveniently not home. His wife said that he reads the water meter, though our water meter isn't in her pen nor on the side of the house he was on and as my husband watched him leave he didn't stop to read anyone else's water meter so...we are going to play it by ear. Something still doesn't feel right about the way things went.

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 pm

That is really scary! I would keep her inside at all times unless you can supervise her, you don't want him coming back or her getting out and him getting her that way.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 5:57 pm

Read the water meter I would be calling the company that owns the water meter and asking them if they had someone at your house today because someone is saying that they did

Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow! Hope the cops can do something for you guys
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I would love to somehow setup cameras that I could spy on my house (and Kenzi) from work. The cops went to the guys house but he was conveniently not home. His wife said that he reads the water meter, though our water meter isn't in her pen nor on the side of the house he was on and as my husband watched him leave he didn't stop to read anyone else's water meter so...we are going to play it by ear. Something still doesn't feel right about the way things went.

Sounds fishy, if he trespasses again you should give him a verbal warning; and if he does it yet again I'd try to get a warrant for his arrest. Also please don't let your dog out of your sight if possible, it would be horrible if he got her! Cameras are also a great idea so you can keep an eye on your house as well as having something to use in court if an unfortunate incident ever arose (I hope not, but you can never be too prepared!)

I don't know why, but when I think of security cameras I think of those action movies with the cameras that have lasers attached to them so they can instantly vaporize intruders. I want a set of those when I grow up. Razz
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I would give serious thought to looking into an injunction prohibiting harassment, or whatever they are called where you live. At a minimum, I'd have an officer back out to contact him and document a trespass warning. That way if he sets foot up there again, something more than a stern talking to can actually be done.In the meantime, It might be wise to supervise the pups when they're outside and crate them or otherwise keep them in the house if no one is around.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 pm

siku&nikolai wrote:
That is really scary! I would keep her inside at all times unless you can supervise her, you don't want him coming back or her getting out and him getting her that way.

We have been working with her on not freaking out when inside and home alone and she's been doing really good. We are definitely shooting to leave her in from now on. This has sped up our process.

HuskyLear wrote:
Read  the water meter I would be calling the company that owns the water meter and asking them if they had someone at your house today because someone is saying that they did

That is a great idea and I will do that tomorrow. I initially thought it might have been the electric meter reader and he does have to deal with her to get to the meter, but no uniform or logo shirt letting overprotective people like me know who they work for and he was smoking when he came up which seemed really unprofessional. This is the first place I've lived that have utility people manually read the meters. Shouldn't they wear something to identify themselves?

AMB wrote:
I don't know why, but when I think of security cameras I think of those action movies with the cameras that have lasers attached to them so they can instantly vaporize intruders. I want a set of those when I grow up. Razz

I would love something like that. I could finally teach the neighbor's cat to quit taunting my dog through the window. If you run across such a thing let me know. lol.

MattV wrote:
I would give serious thought to looking into an injunction prohibiting harassment, or whatever they are called where you live.  At a minimum, I'd have an officer back out to contact him and document a trespass warning.  That way if he sets foot up there again, something more than a stern talking to can actually be done.In the meantime, It might be wise to supervise the pups when they're outside and crate them or otherwise keep them in the house if no one is around.  

If he is indeed the water meter reader would I have a leg to stand on? Maybe if I got film of him actually doing something to my dog?
Back to top Go down
AngelCocoaPup
Newborn
Newborn
AngelCocoaPup

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Even if he did work for the water company, why would he need a stick to read a water meter? I don't like the sound of this; you have every right to be suspicious. Stay safe.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 am

I would think they have to wear a uniform. Ever meter reader I've seen had a work shirt of some kind, and usually a utility truck as well, not just an atv. Plus I wouldn't think they would assign a worker to do his own neighborhood, that would just be awkward. I think calling the company is a good idea and once you find out he's full of it, call the police! I hope it works out. Good luck! People are creeps.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 am

The carrying a stick could be reader cause he is scared of your dog but why did he run away? Also if he was a reader I would let the utility company know that he carries a stick around your dog and the is not accetable. (Especially if the dog is penned and he would not need to be near you dog.) Our old house the meter was in the fenced backyard with the dog so on occasion they were there at the same time but he brought dog bones to make friends.Smile

Would you have a leg to stand on if he was the meter reader? A yeah casue he was up to somthing ...you might not have a trespasser leg to stand on or anything with the ops until he does something but a leg with the company oh yes. They would not like you complaining, the would not like him not in some type of uniform/badge, they would not like him doing thing Not By the Book! I am sure they have policies and I am sure they have exceptions...scheduled appt becasue the meters are with dogs or inside a porch, call ahead because of locked access, extra permission or scheduling or call ahead for numerous reasons are probably common. Especially if you are not in a downtown city area. Think of how many people keep other off there property, the grouchy old man, the NRA dude, the parinoid dude, the drug dealer, the mom w children in the back, the list could go on. Please call and check, I know you said you would but I think that will help and you could lodge a complaint with the company that could help in the future too.

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 am

Agreed. Plus, was he reading other meters in the neighborhood? Sounds like he just went home after your place.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 am

O my good lord! Not to get political, but that's the one reason I'm all for gun rights. The guy did have a stick and if he had decided to chance your husband not having a gun, scary stuff right there. I'd definitely call the company to double check his story. We have to have our meter read manually on base housing, but they're always in a work truck and they wear uniforms. And if they have to go into the back yard, they have to come talk to me first, because my fence has a lock on it. So glad it didn't turn out badly!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am

Politics D:

Everyone came out safe for now which goes to show that guns have a great positive use for self protection; so yeah gun owners ftw. Although I think that water meter story is a load of baloney...
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 pm

How scary!! Glad you're alright.

Call the company and double check his story. USUALLY companies call the homes before sending out a meter reader, to make sure you're home and to give you a heads up that a worker will be moving around your house.

Yes, he should have been wearing a uniform for identification purposes. I'm not sure why he would need a stick.

If he's had trouble with the law before (ESPECIALLY with harming other dogs), I would definitely think he wasn't 'checking' your water meter. Why would he act guilty when he saw your hubby's gun? He didn't check the other meters either... That is another key point.

If you have a webcam, set one up that is watching the backyard. You can set up a ustream accound and watch it from where ever you are. We have a security system but it's not hooked up yet.

Keep us updated, please.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

AngelCocoaPup wrote:
Even if he did work for the water company, why would he need a stick to read a water meter?  I don't like the sound of this; you have every right to be suspicious.  Stay safe.

Supposedly the stick is to reach down to shut water off if someone doesn't pay their bill or needs it shut off for some reason, though I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and the likeliness of someone not paying their bill is slim to the extreme and the neighbors aren't going away on vacation.

VintageJeans wrote:
How scary!!  Glad you're alright.

Call the company and double check his story.  USUALLY companies call the homes before sending out a meter reader, to make sure you're home and to give you a heads up that a worker will be moving around your house.

Yes, he should have been wearing a uniform for identification purposes.  I'm not sure why he would need a stick.

If he's had trouble with the law before (ESPECIALLY with harming other dogs), I would definitely think he wasn't 'checking' your water meter.  Why would he act guilty when he saw your hubby's gun?  He didn't check the other meters either... That is another key point.

If you have a webcam, set one up that is watching the backyard.  You can set up a ustream accound and watch it from where ever you are.  We have a security system but it's not hooked up yet.  

Keep us updated, please.

I'm going to call or go by on my lunch break today. None of the utility companies around here call before coming out. They seem to always check in the middle of the day while we're at work. We always just magically get a bill every month though the electric company specifically told us if their guy got out and didn't feel safe or capable of maneuvering our fence and dog that they wouldn't read our meter and would contact us about it. They have marked trucks and we haven't had any issues getting our bill.

Ustream? I will have to try that. I have a webcam and microphone at home but was having trouble working it since my cam account won't register the same name in two separate places. Now all I need is a microphone at the office and I can yell at Kenzi not to eat my table legs from miles away and check for creepers. Thank you.

I never had dog troubles with people until I got Kenzi. Ever since I've had people randomly walk up to my house or when we are out to see about her. I had a stoner lady come up to my house and keep repeating that Kenzi would be coming to play with her puppies sometime. Creepy. FYI: Stoner lady let her "puppies" (fat beagle and scruffy mix) out one day while I was walking Kenzi and Kenzi about ate said "puppies". People can be so weird and stupid.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 1:07 pm

TwisterII wrote:

AngelCocoaPup wrote:
Even if he did work for the water company, why would he need a stick to read a water meter?  I don't like the sound of this; you have every right to be suspicious.  Stay safe.

Supposedly the stick is to reach down to shut water off if someone doesn't pay their bill or needs it shut off for some reason, though I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and the likeliness of someone not paying their bill is slim to the extreme and the neighbors aren't going away on vacation.

VintageJeans wrote:
How scary!!  Glad you're alright.

Call the company and double check his story.  USUALLY companies call the homes before sending out a meter reader, to make sure you're home and to give you a heads up that a worker will be moving around your house.

Yes, he should have been wearing a uniform for identification purposes.  I'm not sure why he would need a stick.

If he's had trouble with the law before (ESPECIALLY with harming other dogs), I would definitely think he wasn't 'checking' your water meter.  Why would he act guilty when he saw your hubby's gun?  He didn't check the other meters either... That is another key point.

If you have a webcam, set one up that is watching the backyard.  You can set up a ustream accound and watch it from where ever you are.  We have a security system but it's not hooked up yet.  

Keep us updated, please.

Ustream? I will have to try that. I have a webcam and microphone at home but was having trouble working it since my cam account won't register the same name in two separate places. Now all I need is a microphone at the office and I can yell at Kenzi not to eat my table legs from miles away and check for creepers. Thank you.

I never had dog troubles with people until I got Kenzi. Ever since I've had people randomly walk up to my house or when we are out to see about her. I had a stoner lady come up to my house and keep repeating that Kenzi would be coming to play with her puppies sometime. Creepy. FYI: Stoner lady let her "puppies" (fat beagle and scruffy mix) out one day while I was walking Kenzi and Kenzi about ate said "puppies". People can be so weird and stupid.

Wow. lol

Yeah, I've never used ustream before, but I know people that have. There are some members on here that have used it before to watch their dogs while away. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get her attention while she's chewing on your table leg or not lol.

Good luck with the phone call.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:14 pm

I called the water company and they said that our water meter had been read recently but they couldn't confirm what day since their readers just bring in readings whenever it seems. The name of the guy in question was correct but when she described the guy her description and the description my husband gave didn't jive so not sure what to do with that. Maybe he has henchmen? I'm going to try and not be THAT paranoid. lol. Anyway, I left Kenzi inside while I was at work and she was sound asleep when I got home and hadn't touched anything. I walked her on my lunch break, put a treat in her Kong, and drizzled some honey on her rope (she can sit around sucking the sweet out of the fibers for hours), then it's back to work. Thanks for the support everyone. It's been really appreciated.

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I called the water company and they said that our water meter had been read recently but they couldn't confirm what day since their readers just bring in readings whenever it seems. The name of the guy in question was correct but when she described the guy her description and the description my husband gave didn't jive so not sure what to do with that. Maybe he has henchmen? I'm going to try and not be THAT paranoid. lol. Anyway, I left Kenzi inside while I was at work and she was sound asleep when I got home and hadn't touched anything. I walked her on my lunch break, put a treat in her Kong, and drizzled some honey on her rope (she can sit around sucking the sweet out of the fibers for hours), then it's back to work. Thanks for the support everyone. It's been really appreciated.

That is awesome and I'm so happy that she is doing better inside and will be safe in there while you are gone! I'm sure that is a big relief for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thank God the hubby was home   home - Thank God the hubby was home Empty

Back to top Go down

Thank God the hubby was home

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-