It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to convince significant other

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

How to convince significant other Empty
PostSubject: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 am

I want to get another husky so Pongo has a companion and wouldn't it just be more fun with 2? How did you guys convince your girlfriends/wives/husbands/boyfriends to get another one? My husband is adamant about not getting another dog because he thinks it will be way more work than having one. I mean I see that we are in the minority as most owners have at least 2 and there has to be a reason for that (besides they're like potato chips lol).

Also, I have been debating whether or not to get a rescue or a puppy from a very reputable breeder. I know each has their pros and cons but it's really hard to decide. We were originally going to adopt a dog out of Indiana but my husband of course backed down. His concern is that we don't really know where this dog came from, what kind of health problems it will have, or if it will have behavior issues and possibly not get along with Pongo. I know they always do in-home trials for this sort of thing, but how long would it actually take a dog to really open up? I'm thinking it would depend on the dog. I also know a rescue would possible be less work considering most come from homes and are usually house trained if not crate trained. Now a puppy is a bar of clay which you can mold and teach the behaviors you want from your pup. The pup would also learn good things from Pongo as he is a good dog. We would also know that the puppy would be in GREAT health with hips and eyes certified and bred for good temperament (something we didn't research with Pongo). A puppy is a lot of work though: training, letting out every hour, lots of vet visits etc etc.

So what are your opinions on these 2 topics?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 am

We only have 1 and were seriously considering adopting another about a month ago, but decided against it. It's just not the right time for us right now, so I'm just speaking on hearsay.

Regarding the twice as much work: I don't think it's necessarily twice as much WORK once you get into the swing of things. But is definitely twice as much MONEY. Twice the treats, food, vet bills, etc...

Regarding rescue vs. adopted: Only you can know which is best for you guys. It sounds like your husband associates all the typical stigmas of adopting with a rescue (behavioral issues, unknown background, etc...). That may be something he may never get over unless he sees that rescues can be great dogs too. We got Bode as a puppy and will most likely be adopting our next one. My reason is I would like to get one around Bode's age at the time so they are well matched. I also just don't want to do the puppy thing again for a while. But everyone has their own reasons for each decision.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 8:59 am

I'm a brat and my fiancé knows, so getting a second dog was no biggie (he's a dog lover too) but it was getting the third that was the hard one! Took me about 3-4 months of non-stop begging and showing cute puppy pictures and finally finding Brandi on Craigslist in a horrible situation that he finally said yes (but wasn't happy about it). Smile

Honestly, having two is the perfect number. I didn't notice a dramatic change in budget for food, just a couple bucks extra. Count on at least an extra 15 mins to half hour training. Exercise is a breeze, because mine tire each other out, even on rainy days! The only real extra expense I notice is vet bills. If you can afford that, then you should be fine.

Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am

I agree, once you have one and you are already doing the work adding another is absolutely nothing in that sense (unless you do get a puppy, then its challenging for a couple of months). I wanted to adopt the second one, and my boyfriend wanted a puppy and where it was his dog, we went with the puppy. I thought it was pretty stressful for a while (mine are only 6 months apart) starting over again with a puppy as I kind of hate that stage to begin with, but once those months past and the puppy got bigger and they were able to play with each other it was a breeze. Its great, because they tire each other out and in that sense it makes your life a little easier. We spend a lot more on food and all of that stuff, but after the initial of buying two of everything the cost goes down and becomes more manageable. As far as the puppy verse adoption, again thats a choice completely up to you, no right or wrong answer. If you adopt you can skip a lot of the early vet bills, some of the training, and the dogs can play right away where as the puppy is a lot of money to start, and you have to supervise them all the time.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am

I had a hell of a time convincing my hubby to get ONE. It took a little over a year. We finally agreed to a compromise and its working well so far. Smile As Dizzy is getting bigger, it's getting easier. He's less of a wild animal now lol. If I could have rescued I definitely would have, but I have 2 cats, and live in an apartment. A lot of rescues wouldn't even look at me, and the husky rescue in my area wouldn't adopt a husky to me because of the cats. I guess they don't cat test the huskies, they just assume they can't live with cats, so I ended up going to a reputable breeder and getting a puppy. I totally understand why rescues are so picky and difficult to adopt from, but it was kind of frustrating, especially since I've had a husky before and know what it takes to keep one happy and safe. I used to foster for a rescue in Colorado, and do home visits, so I can definitely see both sides though. In terms of rescue dogs having unknown issues, I really think it depends on the rescue organization. If a rescue is really doing its job, they will know a bit about the dog, and hopefully have it in a foster home, so they can know the issues, and hopefully deal with some of them before they consider the dog ready to be adopted. I also think there is a certain gratitude and love a rescue will always have for you, that a puppy won't. Having raised several puppies, and had fosters, the depth and gravity in a rescue dog is beautiful. They know you saved them, or at least they appreciate the increase in their standard of living lol. Smile Good luck!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am

The other thing to consider, would be to adopt a retired show dog. I know many kennels will adopt out their dogs after their show careers are over, or if they don't live up to their potential. That way, you don't have to deal with the puppy issues, and you know that the dogs parents were health tested, and a good bit of its history.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

How old is pongo now? I don't ever want to deal with a puppy, we adopted our 2 at 5 and 1. I will always say rescue unless its cause of kids or cats. If hubby is having issues maybe offer to be a foster to a husky in need and see how it plays out, nothing wrong with being a foster failure and keeping it, or if it does not work out adopt it out and try again. That way hubby does not feel commites but I'm sure after some time he will warm up to the idea! It seems the vote around here has been 2 no diff then 1, now 3 is where it pushes it as far as cost and all go. Good luck

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 am

I too really want a second. I don't think I will have a problem convincing my husband to get one once we move to a different place. I don't know what Pongo is like with other dogs, but if he could be a little apprehensive with new dogs (Kenzi is psychotic) a rescue would probably be better than an adopt-a-thon or shelter type scenario. I got Kenzi out of a shelter situation and didn't get time to really know her or how she would react with our other dog and it was a failure on our part as far as our previous dog went, though I love Kenzi and she has been a phenomenal dog in every other aspect. When I get another I definitely want to have some time to get them acquainted before diving in and I think a rescue will really help you and your dog prepare for a new addition that will fit in with you.

Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 pm

My advice would be to try to look ahead and consider any health issues that could occur in their senior years. My boy is 14 and for the last three years he's had health issues. He's at the vet every two weeks for an injection, which is $48 each time. He's also on two meds. So, every month I spend about $150 just for vet bills. Of course, money might not be an issue for you. And hopefully you're blessed with healthy dogs so you don't have to go through that!

One other thing to consider is how close/far apart in age they would be. Personally, I would space the dogs out 3-4 years. Just because 15 years or so down the road you don't want to have to say goodbye to both of them within a relatively short time frame. I'm going through that now with the loss of my parents dog (he was 15) that Saber was around his entire life.  

Anyway, sorry if I came across as the "debbie downer" of the bunch Smile . I wish you luck whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I am in the same boat as you.  I want another Husky, but the boyfriend wants a German Shepherd (and to keep it outside - NO NO for me).  Having two is definitely more work, but only in the beginning (for my pack).

What I'm doing now is fostering.  It is a rewarding experience where you take a husky in need and keep it in your home.  A rescue organization pays for ALL vetting and may assist with food costs and a crate.  To bring awareness to your foster, you participate in pet events, take pictures of them (to network on facebook), and bring them out in public (in a suitable setting, of course).  The rescue will also want to know what type of personality Pongo has (i.e. hyper, sweet, lazy, etc).  They will match a rescue that suits your household and Pongo.  

You rehabilitate a shy/hyper/sweet/normal husky while the rescue searches for his/her forever home.  In the process, you get to learn what it's like to have two dogs in the house and what it takes to keep both happy.  You may have to work on some manners and potty training for the foster husky.  Fun fun...

You don't have to be a long term foster either.  You can do it for a weekend, month, whatever.  I hang onto my fosters until someone comes along and adopts them, which can take a few weeks to a few months.

I grew up with two dogs as a kid.  It's totally different as an adult once you own both dogs and have to take 100% responsibility!

Food costs about twice as much now.  Obviously you're feeding twice as many mouths lol.

I may get some flame for this, but all dogs are apt to get health problems.  Even if you buy from a breeder.  Some are just more guaranteed to NOT get health problems, which is what the testing is for.  Yes, you will most likely get a more healthier dog going to a breeder as opposed to a rescue/Craigslist.  We had an Airedale Terrier that was hip tested for Hip Dysplasia but he still ended up getting it around 3-4 years old. Then again, it all depends on the breeder.

For what it's worth, Juneau is a Craigslist puppy and has been very healthy so far.  Her and her foster sister wear each other out all day.  I still take them for weekly walks, but it's nice to know that she is getting some type of exercise while I do my own business.

I would introduce your hubby to the foster idea and see what he says.  That way, you can get a preview of what it's like to have two dogs.

Last edited by VintageJeans on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
We only have 1 and were seriously considering adopting another about a month ago, but decided against it. It's just not the right time for us right now, so I'm just speaking on hearsay.

Regarding the twice as much work: I don't think it's necessarily twice as much WORK once you get into the swing of things. But is definitely twice as much MONEY. Twice the treats, food, vet bills, etc...

Regarding rescue vs. adopted: Only you can know which is best for you guys. It sounds like your husband associates all the typical stigmas of adopting with a rescue (behavioral issues, unknown background, etc...). That may be something he may never get over unless he sees that rescues can be great dogs too. We got Bode as a puppy and will most likely be adopting our next one. My reason is I would like to get one around Bode's age at the time so they are well matched. I also just don't want to do the puppy thing again for a while. But everyone has their own reasons for each decision.

I was thinking the same thing as well. He doesn't even really want to consider going to the rescue to look at the dogs they have there. Another issue is the one rescue is in Indiana!

Hayden_69 wrote:
I'm a brat and my fiancé knows, so getting a second dog was no biggie (he's a dog lover too) but it was getting the third that was the hard one! Took me about 3-4 months of non-stop begging and showing cute puppy pictures and finally finding Brandi on Craigslist in a horrible situation that he finally said yes (but wasn't happy about it). Smile

Honestly, having two is the perfect number. I didn't notice a dramatic change in budget for food, just a couple bucks extra. Count on at least an extra 15 mins to half hour training. Exercise is a breeze, because mine tire each other out, even on rainy days! The only real extra expense I notice is vet bills. If you can afford that, then you should be fine.

Lol that's how I am too. I keep talking about it and he sounds interested and then decides no again. It's a real bummer! I don't want to be the wife that just brings one home.

siku&nikolai wrote:
I agree, once you have one and you are already doing the work adding another is absolutely nothing in that sense (unless you do get a puppy, then its challenging for a couple of months). I wanted to adopt the second one, and my boyfriend wanted a puppy and where it was his dog, we went with the puppy. I thought it was pretty stressful for a while (mine are only 6 months apart) starting over again with a puppy as I kind of hate that stage to begin with, but once those months past and the puppy got bigger and they were able to play with each other it was a breeze. Its great, because they tire each other out and in that sense it makes your life a little easier. We spend a lot more on food and all of that stuff, but after the initial of buying two of everything the cost goes down and becomes more manageable. As far as the puppy verse adoption, again thats a choice completely up to you, no right or wrong answer. If you adopt you can skip a lot of the early vet bills, some of the training, and the dogs can play right away where as the puppy is a lot of money to start, and you have to supervise them all the time.

I was thinking that as a major con of having a puppy again. I remember all the work and energy it took to train Pongo into the dog he is today. I don't know if I want to do it again lol. But the other side is, you can train the dog into what you want so it's like a catch 22 I guess.

wpskier222 wrote:
I had a hell of a time convincing my hubby to get ONE. It took a little over a year. We finally agreed to a compromise and its working well so far. :)As Dizzy is getting bigger, it's getting easier. He's less of a wild animal now lol. If I could have rescued I definitely would have, but I have 2 cats, and live in an apartment. A lot of rescues wouldn't even look at me, and the husky rescue in my area wouldn't adopt a husky to me because of the cats. I guess they don't cat test the huskies, they just assume they can't live with cats, so I ended up going to a reputable breeder and getting a puppy. I totally understand why rescues are so picky and difficult to adopt from, but it was kind of frustrating, especially since I've had a husky before and know what it takes to keep one happy and safe. I used to foster for a rescue in Colorado, and do home visits, so I can definitely see both sides though. In terms of rescue dogs having unknown issues, I really think it depends on the rescue organization. If a rescue is really doing its job, they will know a bit about the dog, and hopefully have it in a foster home, so they can know the issues, and hopefully deal with some of them before they consider the dog ready to be adopted. I also think there is a certain gratitude and love a rescue will always have for you, that a puppy won't. Having raised several puppies, and had fosters, the depth and gravity in a rescue dog is beautiful. They know you saved them, or at least they appreciate the increase in their standard of living lol. :)Good luck!

We have 2 cats as well and a yard that is not fenced either so I was thinking they might just turn us down for a rescue or foster anyway. The one rescue group was actually willing to adopt to us though knowing that we keep our dog on a lead at all times.

jbealer wrote:
How old is pongo now? I don't ever want to deal with a puppy, we adopted our 2 at 5 and 1.  I will always say rescue unless its cause of kids or cats. If hubby is having issues maybe offer to be a foster to a husky in need and see how it plays out, nothing wrong with being a foster failure and keeping it, or if it does not work out adopt it out and try again. That way hubby does not feel commites but I'm sure after some time he will warm up to the idea! It seems the vote around here has been 2 no diff then 1, now 3 is where it pushes it as far as cost and all go. Good luck

He is 4 years old right now. But we do have cats and want to start having kids in the near future so that is the other concern I have. Pongo grew up with the cats so he's good with them and he loves the kids in the neighborhood as we socialized him well.

SaberK wrote:
My advice would be to try to look ahead and consider any health issues that could occur in their senior years. My boy is 14 and for the last three years he's had health issues. He's at the vet every two weeks for an injection, which is $48 each time. He's also on two meds. So, every month I spend about $150 just for vet bills. Of course, money might not be an issue for you. And hopefully you're blessed with healthy dogs so you don't have to go through that!

One other thing to consider is how close/far apart in age they would be. Personally, I would space the dogs out 3-4 years. Just because 15 years or so down the road you don't want to have to say goodbye to both of them within a relatively short time frame. I'm going through that now with the loss of my parents dog (he was 15) that Saber was around his entire life.  

Anyway, sorry if I came across as the "debbie downer" of the bunch Smile . I wish you luck whatever you decide.

You were definitely not the "debbie downer" lol. you actually have a great point that I hadn't considered! It was pretty difficult when my childhood friend, a toy poodle passed away when he was 17 years old. It would be awful to have 2 dogs pass around the same time! I know when my oldest cat passed, having the other 2 made the pain a little more tolerable and I think having a 2nd dog would as well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I was also telling my husband that this would be a perfect time to get another dog as Pongo is 4 years old so if we get a puppy or a dog at least younger than 2 years it would be great.

VintageJeans wrote:
I am in the same boat as you.  I want another Husky, but the boyfriend wants a German Shepherd (and to keep it outside - NO NO for me).  Having two is definitely more work, but only in the beginning (for my pack).

What I'm doing now is fostering.  It is a rewarding experience where you take a husky in need and keep it in your home.  A rescue organization pays for ALL vetting and may assist with food costs and a crate.  To bring awareness to your foster, you participate in pet events, take pictures of them (to network on facebook), and bring them out in public (in a suitable setting, of course).  The rescue will also want to know what type of personality Pongo has (i.e. hyper, sweet, lazy, etc).  They will match a rescue that suits your household and Pongo.  

You rehabilitate a shy/hyper/sweet/normal husky while the rescue searches for his/her forever home.  In the process, you get to learn what it's like to have two dogs in the house and what it takes to keep both happy.  You may have to work on some manners and potty training for the foster husky.  Fun fun...

You don't have to be a long term foster either.  You can do it for a weekend, month, whatever.  I hang onto my fosters until someone comes along and adopts them, which can take a few weeks to a few months.

I grew up with two dogs as a kid.  It's totally different as an adult once you own both dogs and have to take 100% responsibility!

Food costs about twice as much now.  Obviously you're feeding twice as many mouths lol.

I may get some flame for this, but all dogs are apt to get health problems.  Even if you buy from a breeder.  Some are just more guaranteed to NOT get health problems, which is what the testing is for.  Yes, you will most likely get a more healthier dog going to a breeder as opposed to a rescue/Craigslist.  We had an Airedale Terrier that was hip tested for Hip Dysplasia but he still ended up getting it around 3-4 years old.  Then again, it all depends on the breeder.

For what it's worth, Juneau is a Craigslist puppy and has been very healthy so far.  Her and her foster sister wear each other out all day.  I still take them for weekly walks, but it's nice to know that she is getting some type of exercise while I do my own business.

I would introduce your hubby to the foster idea and see what he says.  That way, you can get a preview of what it's like to have two dogs.

I was actually considering a foster but I don't think my husband likes that idea either because again, he doesn't know the dog. I don't know how to get him to realize that this is why they do home checks and have the dog meet your dog.

I understand not all the puppies would be guaranteed not to have problems as there are flukes but the breeder we are looking at has top rate champions Smile That is why I got so excited about these pups as they would be top of the line just about. They also want an application filled out and want to know about any health issues as they breed against them. The main reason I'm so concerned is we got Pongo from a backyard breeder (we know better now, but hey we saved him from a life of being outside as that is what the first buyer wanted to do with him!). He has a lot of health issues that I have never seen on a dog such as pretty serious digestive issues (diarrhea while running to long and throwing up every week just about) as well as the beginnings of hip dysplasia and juvenile cataracts. We just wanted to avoid another dog with these issues.

I dunno it's a tough call either way! Thanks for all the different points everyone! please post any more opinions if you have them Smile
Back to top Go down
danie22090
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-07-01

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 am

We were actually the opposite. I volunteer at a rescue shelter on weekends, but didn't want another dog. Ever. We have one dog, one cat, we were done. But my dog isn't really a fan of my husband - not aggressive, just too scared of him. So my husband brought up the idea of fostering. I flat out said no. I didn't want to bring home a dog, fall in love with him, then be heart broken when he was adopted out. And I know that's how it would happen. So we talked about it for MONTHS. Finally we found Jake, and brought him home (actually, brought him home tonight, woohoo!). He's a husky/pit mix. So far, I obviously can't testify to the difference between having one dog and having two. But what really worked for convincing me to get a second was him showing me dog after dog after dog after dog until eventually we found one that I liked.
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Sooo I dunno if this was a yes or not, but my husband says this morning after I said Pongo bugs us so much because he has no one else to hang out with, he needs a friend: "You better not make me regret this" lol. Hmmm might be the only yes I will get. Might have to get a puppy though since he has fears of rescues Neutral 
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Good luck on getting a second.

It took me over 8 months to talk my Husband into a second Husky.  I kept working on him for a long time, I show him several pictures of Huskies rescues and shelters.  One day I show him a picture of this sad little husky that was in a shelter in Missouri. He took one look at it and told me to call the shelter and tell them we want to come and get her,  That is how we ended up with Kerian.. She does not look sad anymore but is a very happy dog now that she has a brother and family.

Oh it took me over 2 years to talk my husband into getting our first husky, after our previous dog passed away at the age of 16years old that was over 8 years since we lost her.  He agree to get a dog only wanted certain breeds and a husky was one he also want a white one which we didn't get as you can see.   He also did not want  a  puppy did not want to house break a dog.  

lol! 

When he agree to a second dog he has decide at that time he only want another red and white and probably a female.  that is what we ended up with as you can see.

Sometimes the Husbands can be a pain,lol! 

Good luck,

Last edited by ljelgin on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Haha, or you could do what I did and just BRING the new pup home lol! My Sheba was a puppy mill rescue and I went to go pick her up 3 hours away under the guise of a "doctors appointment".. I got home about 2 hours before my boyfriend and I was SO anxious the whole time!! When he came home, my neighbor told him Sheba was "her's" and was asking him questions like, "Oh, don't you wish she was yours?!" and after he was loving on her, she goes, "Good thing, because she IS yours!"...

I don't reaaalllyyy recommend that method LMAO, but that's what worked for me. He was pissed as HELL for a couple of hours that night, even left the house for like 30 minutes. BUT he came back and her puppy cuteness completely won him over.

LOL But I probably won't pull a stunt like that again. That could have gotten me in big trouble.

As for the fear of rescues, if you have a husky or malamute rescue near you, you could volunteer at a meet and great or go to one of their meet ups so he could see for himself they are just REGULAR dogs who got the shit end of the stick.

Good luck in which ever path you choose Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Lunatic Fringe
Newborn
Newborn
Lunatic Fringe

Female Join date : 2013-06-29

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 6:52 pm

It's interesting to hear everyone else's stories on here about how their packs came together.. my mixed breed Lucky we got as a stray and I think he was destined to be my first dog. He was very forgiving of the mistakes I made when learning how to take care of and train a dog. I wanted a second dog for a long time and after I had Lucky for over a year and my husband and I had just gotten married, I went to look at a no kill shelter. I didn't really know what I was looking for or what to expect from a rescue dog. I got interested in another mixed breed dog who was about 6 months old but the people at the shelter warned me that she was very shy and was going to need some work. I thought I could handle it at the time, but I really had no idea what I was getting into. After a month of her living with us, I realized I really couldn't handle the training she required to bring her out of her shell and I had to take her back.
I felt horrible for several years after that but was still determined to get a second dog. I wanted to do it right this time, and got interested in getting a puppy to start with a blank slate. It took a lot of convincing for my husband because he was upset about things not working out with the rescue dog so well the first time. But I spent a couple of years reading about Siberians, asking other people questions, and finding a breeder I liked. I had never had a puppy before so I started reading everything I could find about housebreaking and training puppies. It took a lot of work, but the experience I had with Luna as a puppy was worth it. Even though it was a lot of constant following her around, and cleaning up pee and trips to the vet and worrying about making sure she was socialized to everything, I would absolutely do it again. I wish I had that time bonding with Lucky during his puppy hood.
I also feel that now I have a lot more experience and patience with training in general so that if I did decide to get a rescue again, I would be a lot more able to handle it. I think that no matter what path you decide, it will be some work. But either one will be worth it!
(I also found that getting Lucky to howl with me while I whined to my husband about getting a puppy helped! Gang up on him and I also agree with showing him cute puppy pics Razz )
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I worked HARD to get Cato. We had Delilah and after having a dog who was tough to rehab from rescue my husband didn't want another right away. Ultimately, I begged for a long time and had to promise backrubs every day for the rest of eternity.

The third one has been easy - I fell in love with exhibiting and my husband knows that. He loved raising Cato and we are going to do it again in the fall. Not to mention, our rescue (Delilah) has totally changed for the better. She loves her companion and actually SHARES. It's a miracle because she has a horrible past in regards to resource guarding.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Convincing my hubby for the first one was extremely hard, two years of just talking about it before he would even consider it. Then, I had to make a deal just to get my puppy (my puppy for a motorcycle lol).

One thing that did help was getting my hubby signed up as a dog walker at our local shelter. He fell in love with a pitty there and we would've brought her home if not for the regulations where we live regarding pits. But she helped him to realize that dogs aren't scary and totally worth it. We went with a puppy this time because of his fear of dogs and it has worked out well in our favor. Next time though, I would love to rescue, even if its a retired show dog (two months after we got Karli there was a show dog available in Spokane because she was done showing, was fixed, and was not a working dog. I would've gotten her in a heart beat if he would've let me lol.) Every dog can have issues, its how you deal with those issues that really matters.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Getting Bane was easy. We were moving out of the apartments we were in [no pets allowed! Sad] and to CA for his orders. We had both been wanting a dog; Winchester, our lab had passed away three years ago and we missed and still miss him dearly. Currently, I want a second one. I think having a second Husky puppy [we even considered another lab!] would be outstanding for Bane and for myself. Its convincing the hubby to get on the same track as Bane and I! We have the neighbor dog over often, and Bane loves her company; he cries when she leaves and its just so sad! We both work, him M-F and me Th-Sat. So, the days we're both gone I feel this would alleviate any anxiety problems Bane may acquire down the road. He doesn't have them now, and we are so thankful for that! We were looking at adopting a Husky from one of the local Northern Dog Rescues, but many of them don't like cats, or other dogs, or children. We are in a condo complex with children, loose cats, and obviously other dogs and we just want to avoid any problems that can occur. Who knows!? Good luck though!
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 pm

My partner was actually the one who wanted a Sibe and I was the one who was not keen, now we have Orion I want another one! When we purchased our house we made sure it had a large backyard because we are both dog people so had every intention of getting a puppy... a Newfoundland actually! Well I soon realized that we were not suitable for a newfie right now so the breed debate began. I went to dog shows all over the place, researched breeds, visited breeders, weighed up pros & cons etc etc and my partner just persistently kept showing me photo after photo of husky puppies. I was dead set against a sibe, I had heard nothing but off putting things and as a first dog for me and my partner I thought it was too much to take on. Eventually I figured I had been to see breeders of other "not ideal" breeds to find out about them so I would do the same for a husky. I went to see Orion's breeder without telling my partner and spent hours there on my first visit - by the time I left our name was on the waiting list! I arranged another visit and took my partner with me (without telling him where we were going) he was ecstatic it was hilarious! I tried my hardest to talk him into taking an older dog (the breeder had a beautiful 1 yr old red bitch available) but he was set on a black and white male and it had to be a puppy Rolling Eyes
Eventually our boy arrived then finally we got to take him home and that's when our roles reversed.... My partner wanted to take him back less than 24 hours after getting him! He was a puppy from hell lol and even now at 5 months old my partner has still not warmed up to him. I adore his smartypants attitude, talkativeness and big personality but it turns out my partner basically wants the personality and unquestioning obedience of a perfectly trained Lab with the appearance of our boy How to convince significant other 1625187496  
I doubt I will ever be allowed another Sibe... Oh well.
If your Hubby has an issue with the rescue option and you are not too keen on the work a puppy requires then a retired show dog or an intended show dog which did not live up to expectations could be a great option. They have plenty of pro's going for them - well handled, well socialized, good breeding (so usually less health risks) and generally if it does not work out then a breeder will have first right of refusal so you wouldn't have to feel terrible about putting a dog back in a shelter.
Good luck with whatever option you decide, I'm sure Pongo will love it when that friend arrives!
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 2:51 pm

"The obedience of a well trained Lab but with the appearance of a Sibe": we have pondered this often, having a lab as well as our two huskies. I think it is the intensity of one's relationship with a Sibe that is so different than with the Lab. I'm not sure what it would be like if the Sibes behaved like the Lab. They take a good deal more work, and attention than the Lab, and maybe that makes for a deeper bond. That, and the deep soft fur: there is just nothing like cuddling up with a Husky!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 pm

First I got my lab Ruby, then when I wanted a second lab hubby said heck no, I want a husky. I was against it truth be told, but then we got Balon and I was in love. So we loved Balon so much we put our names on the list for the same parents litter a year later, in comes Loki, or as I like to call him "Hell Boy" lol.

The lab was 9 months when we got Balon, Balon was 13 months when we got Loki! So yeah I have thought of all three leaving me 123. But I obviously didn't let it stop me lol. All three are VPI insured, microchipped, neutered/spayed. Now its just food and yearly shots. Still adds up but I occasionally work extra hours to save for these things lol.

I consider myself lucky because my husband was happy with 2 lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to convince significant other   How to convince significant other Empty

Back to top Go down

How to convince significant other

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-