It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies growth?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rkplatt
Newborn
Newborn
rkplatt

Female Join date : 2013-07-07

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 am

Ok ever since we got Oakley and we would bring him out in public and every time there is always some body asking if he is full husky or that he looks skinny. Which I know he is full husky because I seen his parents and have his family tree. I always have to explain if you can't see his ribs but can feel them then his weight is fine. I do admit Oakley is really tall he sure does have some legs haha I always ask them now are sure you aren't getting him mix with a malamute? Oakley turned 1 years old back and April and last week for his annual shots he weighed in at 60lbs. I have been told huskies don't stop growing till they are about 2 years old? I will say one time at the dog park it must have been husky day because there was like 6 other huskies out there. 4 of them were males and all around the same age of Oakley. Oakley was so much bigger then they were, again it could be his legs. lol Here is picture of Oakley on his 1 year birthday with his friend Echo (malamute/husky).

Huskies growth? Oe11
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 am

He is a good looking dog and looks healthy. My Loki is 1.5 years old and weighs 71lbs.
Back to top Go down
rkplatt
Newborn
Newborn
rkplatt

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 am

Oh wow! Is that him in your profile picture!? is he full husky? We got a husky/malamute Timber and he weighs 68lbs. Not sure his age vet thinks between 1 1/2-3 years. Hes our rescue. Hes beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 am

Yes that is him and he is full husky.
Back to top Go down
rkplatt
Newborn
Newborn
rkplatt

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:41 am

He is such a big boy! He really looks beautiful around those leaves.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 am

Thank you he doesn't look big until I get him on a scale. Yesterday had him measured for a x-back harness neck and breast bone to last rib was 21 inches and last rib to base of tail was 13 inches.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 am

Huskies are their full height around a year old, but they still fill out for another year or so muscle wise. If there was poor breeding involved he could just be a bigger husky.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 am

It could be that people are just getting use to seeing bigger (obese) dogs. I know I was at the vet the other day and every dog there was significantly overweight. Also, you just have to brush them off. I have a AKC lab who is extremely tall (28" or so) and 105lbs (poor breeding). He is huge for a lab. People ask all the time if he has great dane in him. I usually say no and if they question, I just say well maybe who knows.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:52 am

People ask me all the time how old Kenzi is and then often times vehemently don't believe me when I say around 4. For some reason they have it in their heads that she should be sooo much bigger than she is and think that she's a pup. Kenzi is 24" at the shoulders and weighs 50 lbs. I thought that was a little tall but pretty close to standard for a husky female, so all I can think is they have somehow convinced themselves she must be malamute? It bugs me when people don't trust me when I tell them about my dog and I don't have any paperwork for proof as you do.

Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:53 am

Most people don't know a well-bred purebred from a poorly-bred purebred in any breed. Or a purebred from a mix. The last time I had Luci at the vet, some lady asked if she was a GSD/Aussie mix. I replied that she was a husky, and got The Look of You Must Be Sh!tt!ng Me.
It's generally a waste of my breath and time to go into any explanation, since most people really don't *want* to be educated. I just smile and nod instead. Wink 
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:03 am

It is true that the majority of their height growth happens within the first year, though additional height can be seen between 1-2 years (not much I'm talking 1/2-1 inch), within the 2-4 year (even up to the 6th year) you'll see more maturity, muscle development, and 'filling' out of the dog. Every line is different, the lines I have do not hit full maturity until 4-6 years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
rkplatt
Newborn
Newborn
rkplatt

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:11 am

Oakley just went to the vet last week for his annual shots and exam. Vet said he perfect weight, height, and very healthy. Oakley wasn't planned he was a accident lol The breeder he came from accidentally had pups with his husky and with his daughter husky. They always had huskies through out their family but never bred them, he actually bred German Shorthair Pointers. Since I live in Kanas and I wanted to make sure I found a good breeder I called AKC and they recommended me to him. Oakley was the last pup left he was 11 weeks old when we got him. I believe it was fate Smile From what ive been told for many years that there is one way knowing if a breeder is a good breeder, is if they remove the dew claws on the pups. now I may be wrong on that but that's what ive heard. I really do not care if he is not the normal measurements because I don't plan on letting him breed lol Even though my daughter has been asked by others that owned a female husky if she would consider it and she was not having that lol That's her baby boy. plus hes been fixed. All we care about is him being healthy boy Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 am

Yeah that's not exactly accurate- good breeders may or may not remove dew claws, that is personal preference not a standard by which to judge a breeder.  A good breeder researches lineages, breeds to better the breed, does health testing (CERF/SHOR/OFA) on all of their breeding dogs, and is active in the breed in some form.

By the look of your photos your boy is looking absolutely healthy so I wouldn't worry. That is definitely the most important part with any dog, healthy and happy Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
rkplatt
Newborn
Newborn
rkplatt

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 11:33 am

Thank you! Oakley is our first husky and we cant imagine out lives without him. We have learned so much from him. We have always had poms in our life and we still have one. We got teddy and our other pom that passed away a while back from the same breeder. The breeder is retired now but we was so happy with our first one that we went back to her to get Teddy. We are animal lovers and that's the important thing to us is their health. They are like my kids and grandkids, if they get sick my heart just breaks and I dot what I can to make them feel better and that's giving a lot of love and attention. Smile You really have a beautiful family Smile
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:40 pm

It's weird because both my huskies are full grown, and they look little to me.
Sometimes I think they are too skinny. Right now Karma looks a lot thinner because she is blowing her coat....again!!! This is her second time within a 4 month period.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I think I have commented on this before but I keep seeing it come up and it is bugging me. Breed standard for a siberian husky is 35 lbs-60lbs according to the AKC. Why do so many people have full-blooded siberians that weigh sooo much more? It makes a lot of owners, and observers, think that some huskies are "small" when in fact they are the size they should be.

..pet peeve of mine is going to the dog park and people telling me my husky looks "small". She is breed standard in size and weight. *grumble grumble*
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 pm

What is weird to me is everyone asks me "is that a husky" talking about my malamute... No... She is full mal i have papers on her. Wow she is kinda small for a mal doesn't you think? She almost weighs 70 pounds... Huskies growth? 1625187496 

My Husky... "is that a Mal?" No, she is all husky. She only weighs like 30 pounds? (I haven't checked in awhile .. SO I maybe off a little)

If I don't know what something is I will ask, "what kind of breed is she/him?" I never take a shot out of it because I hate it how people react when I correct them. Now if I have both of my girls together.. I get the " OMG!! Her puppies come out so pretty" Shocked No, NO ..NO!! lol Not mother and daughter...

Micole gets the OMG her coat is so weird!!! I have never seen a husky that is brown.. She is not brown she is a red. and no it is not weird it is normale and I love it Razz 
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Lycus is a considerably larger husky and every time people ask me if he's husky I say yes. They always respond with "They're really big dogs huh?!"

Every time I have to explain that huskies are a medium size breed and that Lycus just comes from a very poor breeder so he is a lot larger than he really should be (almost 80lbs).

Although, after a while, I just respond with "uh-huh" because I get bored of having to explain to so many people that they're not actually big dogs.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 3:15 am

Jasper stands about 27" at the shoulder right now, he seems to be growing still and he's very difficult to measure but i think the last time i tried thats were he was at. Weight wise im not sure i dont think he is more then 60 lbs but he feels like 260 lbs when he jumps on you. Bella is about 24-25" and i dont think more then 40 lbs. I'm assuming its bad breeding with them but have had comments that jasper looks shepard sometimes. My mom has a friend with two sibes and shes said mine are bigger and have to be mixed. I've had one person argue that the two of them were mals but just laughed it off as he owned a group of yappy dachshunds and was complimenting me on how well they listened as my arm was being yanked out of the socket. He kept insisting they were mals so i just said i dont know they could be they were strays and i dont have backround on them, as we walked away. It was almost 12 in the morning and i just wanted to get them home and settled for bed not talk to some random person a few doors down from my sister's place. I always thought that my old husky mix was small for being husky shepard and collie but now that i have read up more about a standards huskies size shes wasnt too small.
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

Female Join date : 2013-07-05

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 7:34 am

My dog is 23-24'' at the withers and about 80 lbs I'm guessing. She was about 40 lbs when she was 6 months from what the vet said (we got her when she was 13 weeks old, about the size of a adult beagle). Just the past few months she seems to be filling out more, she was always so skinny. The lady I got her from said she her mom is arctic wolf/husky and her dad was a full timber, not sure how true it is so please don't hold me on my word, but that's what I was told. The lady said she got the pup when she was only a few weeks old from the breeder but when the pup got to 12 weeks old it was to much for her to handle so she had her tied up outside to a tree by a short lead and just kept her out there, no dog house or anything, so how could I turn her down? Anyway I get both kind of people saying either ''OMG she looks like a wolf'' or ''OMG what a nice husky''. Btw, Oakley is a very beautiful husky, I myself hope to get another husky that looks like Echo when we move to a bigger house.
Back to top Go down
rkplatt
Newborn
Newborn
rkplatt

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 am

Thank you everyone! Yeah at the dog park I have been asked multiple times if Oakley was a hybrid, Idk if they mean if he is mixed with wolf or malamute. I told them no. I guess I rather people ask me then telling me what my dog is lol I mean if your a professional at it and that's what you do for living is knowing a dogs breed by looking then by all means haha Then had one guy say he has to be full wolf! Are you kidding me haha I was like do you know how big wolves really are? Oakley is no where near the size of a wolf. I guess I should take it as complaints and figured well hey if he looks like a wolf or he is a huge dog then maybe it will scare dangerous people away if ever approached by one lol Even though Oakley loves everybody! He gets excited when the mail man comes lol
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

Female Join date : 2013-07-05

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 10:32 pm

That's the good part about having a dog that looks like a wolf. To me the only wolfish thing I see about him is his face but even then.. still only looks like a very beautiful husky to me lol. My family lives in a bad town and folk like to mess with me cause I was home schooled from 1-12 grade. My dog is nice cause shes really shy and folk don't think she would do anything but if they try to hit me or push me or anything like that, she jumps out in front of me with her head lowered and her fur around the back of her neck and down her spine will stand up and ears will go back and she will bark/growl and show her teeth. I asked a few people if this is a normal husky thing but they all say no... so I guess I'm just lucky lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Huskies growth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huskies growth?   Huskies growth? Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies growth?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1