It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Starting the Adoption process

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Starting the Adoption process Empty
PostSubject: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 pm

My husband and I have decided to adopt a male husky similar in age to Raven. We found a dog at a rescue, on there website, and have started the adoption process. We passed the home inspection and we are set to meet our potential new family member.

I've got 2 kids and Raven of course Smile he is listed as both kid and dog friendly but there isnt a lot of information, which is the case for most of the rescue websites i've surfed.

This is an entirely new process for me and since a lot of you have gone through adopting,, from both sides, I wanted to get some advice on what I should look for and what questions I should ask.

Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Not one response! All those advocates of rescuing and adoption have nothing to say? confused
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Sorry no one response We got a second husky from a shelter they has listed her on petfinder. We didn't have to got thru an application or home inspection. We drove to the shelter with our other dog and introduce them to each other to see if they got along then sign papers and she was microchip so I really I am not sure what kind of questions to ask sorry. Have you look on petfinder and at the shelters in your area..?? Oh and our two huskies are about the same age they both turned 3 years this year at least according to the shelter and my vet they believe our female was 2 when we got her last year.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Sorry, I didn't go through a husky rescue when I got my puppies in the past and they were puppies, so I didn't respond since it is different with adult dogs. In both cases, it was more of a immediate approval based on interview and there is so much unknown about puppies. Puppies are not tested like adults either.

Often, I think that most rescue places will give you as much information they receive, but when I volunteered at humane society sometimes that could be almost no information. I would ask them to provide whatever information on the history is available.

I would be happy to see they did a home visit. This would be a good sign to me that they are focused more so on forever homes for their dogs then getting the dogs placed quickly. Like my local humane societies now focuses on easier returns and high level interviews to get the dogs placed into somewhat adequate homes quickly. This is how they can pull dogs out of kill shelters and the success rate is very good as long with one of best adoption rates in midwest.

If I adopted a adult dog, I would want to make sure it was kid, dog, and cat (if applicable) tested. Since you didn't mention cats and have a husky already, I assume that is a not a concern. I would want to introduce my adult dogs to the new dog. I may suggest a trial basis of a few days. I would want to know what the return policy is if it doesn't work out, but not feel so locked into the adoption if the trial period doesn't work out.

For my recent adoption, the rescue I believe indicated a 7 day no questions asked return policy with full refund. They also indicated I could return him at any point with no refund instead of taking him elsewhere - they would want him back.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Really the only thing left is to do a meet and greet at a neutral territory to see if they'll get along. I don't see what questions you really can ask other than to ask them to give you all the info they know, and like Jessica said sometimes they hardly know anything. My main concerns would be is he food aggressive or possessive of anything but since he's kid-friendly I'm going to guess they wouldn't adopt out a possessive dog to a family with kids. Doesn't hurt to ask though.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks for the responses Smile We completed the home inspection and we have a dog picked out that we think will be a good fit. We, the whole family, are going to me him this week. I am most concerned with his behavior toward the kids and how him and Raven get along.

I know they dont have a lot of information, most rescues don't, at least they don't have much in his profile. He's young, 9 mths old and was a stray. I was more talking about questions to ask them that most people wouldn't think to ask.

We are going to ask if he's house broken, crate trained, food aggressive or possesive, they did mention he is learning to walk nicely on a leash and learning to sit. I was also going to ask if he has any known health issues. Other then that im not sure?

I will ask if they have a trail period and the return policy but I'm hopeful that everyone will get along great.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm

The one thing I will recommend to you, especially with a rescue with an unknown past/breeding, is to get pet insurance. I unfortunately learned that lesson the hard way last week.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Starting the Adoption process 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 am

I am sorry about Shadow. I hope you can manage her seizures with medication.

I hadn't thought about pet insurance. Thank you it is really good advice.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 12:14 am

So far so good a week in on the meds, but we'll see what the next few months have in store.

Check out Trupanion and Healthy Paws, they seem to be the best. Definitely get your new addition into the vet, but know that there is a couple weeks between when you apply for insurance and when it actually kicks in, and if something pops up in that couple weeks it probably won't be covered. Both the ones I mention above do cover congenital issues though, but take some time and search the threads we already have, there is a lot of good information.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see about your new fur kiddo. You go through Free Spirit?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Starting the Adoption process 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:01 pm

We got him!
Starting the Adoption process Yol_zps109a5718
First walk together.
Starting the Adoption process Firstwalk_zps99a7469f
Playing on the deck.
Starting the Adoption process Newdog1_zpseb1fbdb6

But we cant decide on a name. We like Pheonix, Ember or Yol. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:18 pm

He is adorable Congratulations I love the blaze of white down the back of his head! ! I would call him Ace because his mask reminds me of the makeup of Ace Frehley from Kiss Razz  I really like Ember though
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Beautiful. someone here has a red husky with a white patch on his neck like that the husky's name is "helix"
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm

I have some questions! Should we treat him like a new puppy as far as potty training goes? Meaning outside every two hours followed by a short play session then back in crate? They said he was potty trained but he peed inside within an hour of being taken out.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:39 pm

congrats on the new pup! He's gorgeous.

I'd give it a day or two before I'd start being worried about "re-potty training". We had a few accidents the first two days when we moved into our new house with our 5 year old aussie shepard, but she got right back to her normal self after 2 days. He's in a new place with lots of smells and excitement so hopefully he remembers his training when he settles in a bit. That said, dont brush it off either, make sure he knows he shouldnt be doing that.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm willing to give him a few days Smile He has been playing pretty hard with Raven. and at 9 mths he's still a puppy. The women at the rescue, ironically named Raven's Husky Haven and Rescue, said he was very clean and didn't go in his kennel.

He is kinda derpy Razz he's blowing his puppy coat so its kinda a mess. He's also still kinda gangly with big feet and ears. Raven went through the big ear stage too. He just needs to fill out a bit.

He is really sweet with the kids. Raven and him are working out there places. No fights yet but lots of humping, by Raven 🤦and putting heads on shoulders and hip checks.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 pm

paleobones wrote:
I'm willing to give him a few days Smile He has been playing pretty hard with Raven. and at 9 mths he's still a puppy. The women at the rescue, ironically named Raven's Husky Haven and Rescue, said he was very clean and didn't go in his kennel.

He is kinda derpy Razz he's blowing his puppy coat so its kinda a mess. He's also still kinda gangly with big feet and ears. Raven went through the big ear stage too. He just needs to fill out a bit.

He is really sweet with the kids. Raven and him are working out there places. No fights yet but lots of humping, by Raven 🤦and putting heads on shoulders and hip checks.

Yuki did that constantly the first couple week with Link. Made me so happy I got a male, because he just put up with it.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:06 am

I love the name phoenix!! Mainly because im in love with phoenixs but also i think it would fit. Since he js a rescue he was kind of reborn into a new home..
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 2:00 am

Sorry just saw this thread! Congrats on ur new boy, he is stunning! Give him some time to settle in but keep up a routen for him so he gets what's going on. And I. Know u say all is fine most rescues will take a dog back if it does not work out. Can't wait to hear how he improves and thanks for saving him!

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 8:06 am

He is gorgeous!! I absolutely love his color and his markings are so unique!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:59 am

Well we just had a huge fight. It started over food. The food wasn't even on the ground yet my husband was just scoping it out of the container in the kitchen and the dogs were in the dining room and BAM! I was near and pushed my daughter out of the way then I threw a blanket over one of them and the break in line of sight ended it. My husband put, I still haven't settle on a name, in the crate. No injuries that I can see.

I looked at some resource guarding threads but they seem to be more about teaching a single puppy/dog how do I get them to not fight over food.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Maya did that with Kay for a while, it was over the sight of food and smell of food if Kay was near her she'd attack her. I'd just break it up and put her in a timeout, after a while and a bunch of bonding experiences for the both of them Maya doesn't do that anymore. I also would have these small training sessions where i'd give Kay a treat and then immediately give Maya one with a lot of praise. I did that twice a day and it seemed to help.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:57 pm

We feed in the crates, when I get the bowls I say crates and they both go in till I get the food and offer it to them, sure it took some time to get them to understand feeding time but that may help you with fighting during feeding time. If they are in their crates before they get food that should help

Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 1:12 pm

What kind of bonding experiences did you use? I was able to feed him by hand and Raven was able to approach. Offered her some but she didn't take it. Raven is very much a grazer. We give her 2 1/2 cups in the morning and she'll eat it throughout the day. He gorges himself as soon as he gets food. He doesnt even lift his head out of the bowl and finishes in seconds. I just need to find a balance between the two. Thanks for all the help Smile 
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Starting the Adoption process Thedogs_zpsbd9b17d2

We had a contest and the winner got to name the new pup. My daughter won and named him Rusty!

We had a tough weekend Rusty's health went down hill with pure liquid diarrhea a vomiting. We say the vet today, and I must say I feel kinda duped. Our vet thinks Rusty is 14 to 15 months old not 9mths and that he was most likely sick when we got him. Since they neutered him in June I would think their vet would have told them his age. I suppose my vet could be mistaken. We got some probiotics and antibiotics to kill the infection and he, and Raven Wink , are on the bland diet.

I also go back and forth on whether he is a mix or just a goofy looking husky. Something about his head and snout is just off. But as you can see Raven seems to think he's alright
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 am

paleobones wrote:
We had a tough weekend Rusty's health went down hill with pure liquid diarrhea a vomiting. We say the vet today, and I must say I feel kinda duped. Our vet thinks Rusty is 14 to 15 months old not 9mths and that he was most likely sick when we got him. Since they neutered him in June I would think their vet would have told them his age. I suppose my vet could be mistaken. We got some probiotics and antibiotics to kill the infection and he, and Raven Wink , are on the bland diet.

I also go back and forth on whether he is a mix or just a goofy looking husky. Something about his head and snout is just off. But as you can see Raven seems to think he's alright

What is with old owners giving us inaccurate ages lol? I was told Link was born in November 2011 but then when I rang the vets they said January 2012. At least the difference in age wasn't /too/ bad. Does he have a rabies tag from the old vet? That's how I found out Link's information, I called his old vet from having the number off the rabies tag and was able to find what shots he had and how old he was and everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting the Adoption process   Starting the Adoption process Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting the Adoption process

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next