It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Keeping my husky out in hot weather

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JeannieCat
Newborn
Newborn

Keeping my husky out in hot weather Empty
PostSubject: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 am

Hello everyone, I have two huskies and I live in Hong Kong, the temperature can rise up to about 27-31 during the hot summer here. Sadly my dad wouldn't allow the dogs in, and therefore they can only stay outside all the time.

I've found them a place with shelter, and I placed two big dog house and they sleep there at night. The weather is hot and humid in Hong Kong, therefore I've always turned on the big fan for them. I tried cooling pad but my dogs broke them like immediately.

I give them plenty of water and have the fan turning on all the time to keep them from overheat, I worry them a lot as one seems underweight to me. He is now nearly 10 months old but only weighs 13.8kg. And the diarrhea has never stopped since they come to my house (almost 2.5 months), I've been taking them to the vet many times, but everytime the Dr. said the same and gave them the same food and med, which is Royal Canin Veterinary Diet canine Low Fat. The stool improved a little bit yet sticky and soft. I tried to switch the food slowly to Orijen 6 fish, but the stool became watery again.

Does anyone know if the diarrhea is caused by the temperature, or because of the food Sad?
And do you think he's underweight with 13.8kg at this age?

If you have any suggestions, i'd love to know, thanks!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am

Has your vet dewormed your dog? Or at least ran a fecal? Prolonged diarrhea for that long can certainly effect weight as well as be in pretty poor condition internally. If your dog HAS been recently wormed, I would put them on a plain diet something very easy like boiled chicken or boiled eggs and green beans or rice. My dogs can handle rice just fine so we use rice but green beans are fine to use as well for a carb source. Claudia knows this diet much more than I, but a rest with easy bland foods is probably what your dog really needs right now.

I don't know what is available in Hong Kong but if there is something like Earthborn- I would try them first. Single protein kibble that's grain free. If you can get a hold on bowels with the bland diet, you can slowly start switching over. Orijen is a great food, but can be really rich for some dogs. Especially if they have been eating Royal Canin.

Keeping them out in that heat is certainly not idea. If you have no choice make sure to keep them well brushed out to reduce any over accumulation of undercoat. Keep fresh water available at all times and always make sure there is a shaded area to get out of the heat.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 am

Can you also provide the dogs with a kiddie pool to play it will help cool them off in the heat.

here are some different types.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1375190402255#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kiddie+pool&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akiddie+pool

Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 pm

JeannieCat wrote:

He is now nearly 10 months old but only weighs 13.8kg.

30 lbs isn't a bad weight to be at but it depends on the husky. As a male he should end up, full grown, around 45-60 lbs (20-27 kg) breed standard *but* some huskies end up bigger. It's important that his weight match his frame. It can be hard to tell with all that fluff but make sure the ribs aren't sticking out excessively.

As far as the diet, I agree with the comment above about the bland diet. Try something for sensitive stomachs.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Shaded area and fresh, cool water for them to drink (or lay in) is a must! As Kristina said, keeping them brushed is very very important. If the undercoat gets impacted, the air will not be able to reach the skin to keep them cool. Please don't shave them because it won't keep them cool! It will only let them get sunburnt easier and it will also be easier for insects to penetrate the skin.
Back to top Go down
JeannieCat
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 am

arooroomom wrote:
Has your vet dewormed your dog? Or at least ran a fecal?  

They ran the fecal tests a while ago and the results were negative. The vet that I went last Sun has prescribed some stronger dewormed med to them (the vet gave them a milder one last time since they were still young).

Taking the med for a few days, the stool now looks a bit better yet soft and sticky...will try the chicken and rice diet after the medication and see how they go.

I know that shaving will only cause them overheat easier, so I brush them daily instead. One with longer hair is currently shedding hence I brush him twice sometimes.

The kiddle pool is a great idea,  which should fit them a lot as they have the habit of putting their hands in the water bowl all the time. But i wonder if they can swim as they used to struggle a lot when I bathe them.....the only downside is they love digging the garden too much, and the soil sticks onto their hair and is hard to clean up! (I try not to bathe them too often, currently i give them a bath once every two weeks, sometimes 1.5 weeks)

thanks for all the comments, I tried to talk to my friends who's also a dog owner, but they couldn't give me any suggestions since they own small size dogs and it's not common to keep dogs out of the house in here Sad
Glad to find a platform here where we can talk about husky with real husky owners Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping my husky out in hot weather   Keeping my husky out in hot weather Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping my husky out in hot weather

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1