It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

6 year old and 5 month old... please help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maya-n-dakota
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-07-31

6 year old and 5 month old... please help Empty
PostSubject: 6 year old and 5 month old... please help   6 year old and 5 month old... please help EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am

Hello everybody I am Jake and am new here and need some help.  We have a 6 year old female that we have raised since 8 months, her name is Maya.  Yesterday we got a 5 month old female named Dakota.  When I took Maya to meet her to make sure they were compatible everything was great.  Maya smelled her and pawad and played a little but didn't really seem nervous or agressive around her so I brought her home with us.   Well I would say things seem a little differnt now that we are home, which I assume is a territorial thing.  Very understandable.   My issue is with Maya not wanting Dakota to eat when she is at the bowl.  She shows full teeth and growls.   Is this just a temporary problem or will it not go away and if so is there any way I can help the process along?  If Dakota is at the food and water and Maya comes after she will eat right next to her.  Is this normal?

At 5 months Dakota is obviously in a playful mood most of the time, which maya tollerates for the most part.  There have been a few occasions where Dakota is jumping and licking her face.  She growls a bit and if Dakota doesn't stop then she kind of bats her to the ground and hovers over her.  I again assume this is a dominance thing.        I did not stop Maya as I feel she is just trying to let her know what the limits are.  Is this right or wrong of me?  I do tell Dakota no and grab her and make her stop.  I don't think Maya wants to hurt her as her tail is wagging and her back hair is down.  I just want to make this as easy for Maya as possible.  I am sure its tough for her,  I make sure to give her as much or more attention than the puppy.  Once again is this right or wrong?  There have been many times so far that they have played and got along well.  I just am not sure how to fix the issue with the teeth and aggression.  She has not bit her but when she snarls it is very frightening to me and am scared if she bites Dakota she will do serious harm or that she may not stop.  I may be just paranoid,  but I want a happy heathly relationship for everyone.  So please feel free to correct me if you notice something wrong or ask questions if I let something out.  any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much for your time and thanks in advance for any help.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: 6 year old and 5 month old... please help   6 year old and 5 month old... please help EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 am

Do you crate your dogs? The best way to avoid issues with food is to feed them in their crates only, this way they aren't around each other's food. It prevents fights and makes them feel more comfortable eating. Or let them eat in separate areas, away from each other (one in one room and one in another.)

As to the batting, let them work it out. Maya will tell Dakota when she's had enough, you interferring wont help Dakota learn what Maya is trying to teach her. The beauty of this is that you have an adult dog that is willing to teach your puppy exactly how she should act. Let Maya be the teacher. Only interfere if it looks like one of them may get hurt.

I would give Maya as much attention as possible and give her attention before you do the puppy. You have to establish a hierarchy and by showing Maya this attention, it shows the puppy that Maya is to be repsected. Now the heirarchy may change as the puppy gets older, but that is for them to work out. Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
maya-n-dakota
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 6 year old and 5 month old... please help   6 year old and 5 month old... please help EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you very much. Maya is not not crated and has not since we have had her. Dakota is crated only when we leave or are sleeping. Was hoping to ween her out of it if they can get along and as the potty training gets better. I do try to only stop her when Maya snarls and her full teeth are showing. Even when she nips at her she has not bit her. I believe like you said she is just teaching her. Thanks for the info on giving Maya attention first. I pretty much do that now other than when I get home from work, I letthe pup out first in fear of her messing while Maya is out.

I will definitly get another food and water dish. That is the part that scared me the most is the food aggresion. I am just hoping it will get better with time. Its only day two LOL... Maya is just so mild and laid back and not used to the constant playing. Wish they would play with toys together but ever since we got Maya she is not a toy type. She treats them kind of like her babies. She would carry them around and whine. And if she accidentally squeaked one she would go haywire. Very odd. Once again thanks a lot, will definitly share the info my my girlfriend as well. Smile 
Back to top Go down
maya-n-dakota
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 6 year old and 5 month old... please help   6 year old and 5 month old... please help EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 am

Now we are on day three. Dakota can now come up to maya's face without geting a snarl or growl as long as she just sniffs. If she starts biting then Maya will snarl for a while and either dakota will stop or get pounced on and held down for a short time. Have only had to step in one time yesterday where Maya kept going. Dakota was yelping but I don't believe Maya was biting her just towering over her with her weight on her.

Today Maya has started acting strange with her. At first she would mount her head and thrust towards her face, then she started a full mount as if she was a male, is this something normal? It looks funny but am sure there is a reason. She also smells under Dakota where her peepee would be if she was a boy. Only does it from the side. She won't sniff her but or other part from behind. Do I possible have a sexually confused dog? Oh by the way Maya is not spayed if that makes a difference or not I have no clue but thought I would include it. Have also seen her slobbering or drooling after smelling Dakota, have never seen her drool other than when eating.

Put seperate feeding and watering dishes for the pup in a different room and that really seems to have helped a bunch. Have not heard any scuffles when they are out in those two areas.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 6 year old and 5 month old... please help   6 year old and 5 month old... please help EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

The mounting is just dominance behavior. They are working out their roles and places with each other. Don't worry, your dog isn't sexually confused. Smile Males hump each other, females hump males, females hump each other and males hump females to establish pack order. Most dog to dog humping is related to this type of behavior, aside from actual mating, which would only happen if a female is in heat, receptive and the male is unneutered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 year old and 5 month old... please help   6 year old and 5 month old... please help Empty

Back to top Go down

6 year old and 5 month old... please help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1