It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Teaching your husky to catch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Teaching your husky to catch? Empty
PostSubject: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 5:58 pm

I would like to teach Kenzi to catch things like treats but she doesn't seem to have a natural catching skill. I grew up with a weimaraner that was stellar at catching anything but she picked up on it after just a couple times being hit in the face with a piece of popcorn. Kenzi hasn't after several times. We've tried different things thinking maybe she can't see what we started with and it hasn't made any difference. Usually she doesn't even try to catch it and on the rare occasions that she does her timing is horribly off. She's usually more content to just let it hit the ground then pounce on it. Is throwing little stuff at her until she finally gets the hang of it my only option or has anyone else tried something different? Maybe if she's content with it hitting the ground then I should be too.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 pm

never thought about teaching catch, our 2 are really good at it and im not sure i had to teach them to do it. are you giving her a code word before you chuck the treat so she knows to look for it? maybe saying something like Kenzi- catch, and toss the treat, and just keep that up? or have you ever had her eyes checked, maybe there is a sight issue there?

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Siku just naturally catches things, and Nikolai never did and I just kind of was bored one day while we were waiting in the vets office, and I started just tossing things at him (had his full attention) and I started close and then got further and further away, and he caught on eventually, but he still isn't the best at it 100% of the time. You could keep trying, and just keep tossing treats really close to her and use a code word like stated above. Maybe she is just happy pouncing on it though, and that's her fun!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 am

Bode did not have that natural catching ability either. For awhile, I would toss a treat and it would just hit his nose and fall down. lol. To help him coordinate his catching, I started going slower. I would stop, show him the treat, hold it still so he could focus on it, say "catch" and give it a nice high arc. Now he is getting really good at it! I think the high arc was the most helpful to him.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 am

Okami had the same issue with catching, so I have been taking a chew toy ball that has some bounce to it, and bouncing it on the floor so it goes straight up. I would say after the first few days of practicing it she has gotten the idea to try to catch things, now she tries to catch anything I throw at her.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Ha ha ha. As far as fetch is concerned Shaqua gives me the "I don't feel like chasing after that right now, Mom" look. Ha ha. She doesn't care. Now catching her treats: she is a pro at that. She has that typical husky independence when it comes to playing fetch with a ball or other toy, though. LOL
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Usually when I'm going to throw something at Kenzi I get her attention and say 'Ready, catch it' and she never even gets close. She does try. She moves and snaps but never gets it. I've tried little things like cat food and assumed she couldn't see that so I stepped up to fluffy popcorn that falls a little slower and is big and bright but get the same thing. She wants it but missed or it bounces off her nose and shoots across the room, then she's chasing it. I've tried tennis balls bounced off the floor and her stuffed rabbit lobbed high into the air but I think she's nervous about grabbing larger items. I have wondered about her eye sight. The whole acting like you threw something but not really throwing it gets her every time and she will go bounding off through the house after something that never left my hand, but another part of me thinks she's just a little ditzy when excited. I think the only way to get the treat thrown high enough for her is to buy a house with 30ft ceilings. lol.

Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 pm

I taught Evie by using a long toy. It was one of those stuffing free raccoons and I would count, "1, 2, catch" and she had success pretty quickly. She'd get it as long as she snapped in the general vicinity. We did it with popcorn too. I really think the counting helps because they learn after you say catch, the treat/toy is coming.
Back to top Go down
KaiTheDog
Newborn
Newborn
KaiTheDog

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Kai will sometimes catch a basketball with his front legs. I toss it up in the air and he gets under it on his hind legs and catches the ball between his legs and under his head. Then bites it and runs away haha

Besides that he catches almost everything, even bouncing off the wall.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 pm

wow, my dog is always, bonk in the nose, and pow on the ground, and then a long minute, and than she eats it Very Happy finnaly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 pm

This thread is sounding a little like Jethroe fetching the stick for old Duke. My Springer Reba never caught food in flight, but she could catch a Kong as it whizzed by. Maya on the other hand will catch popcorn all day long and never miss a kernel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teaching your husky to catch?   Teaching your husky to catch? Empty

Back to top Go down

Teaching your husky to catch?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1