It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A question about weight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kimo
Newborn
Newborn
Kimo

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

A question about weight Empty
PostSubject: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am

Hello All,

We recieved our Willow from a rescue. They say she is malnourished. She is very skinny, you can feel her ribs. They say she is about a year old and has had a litter of puppies.

She weighs just under 35 pounds. At a year old, how much do huskies weigh in your experience?

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Take a look at our Weigh in topic and that can give you a ok idea of where some of ours are weighing in at but every dog/husky is different. Jack was a bit skinny when we adopted him and with in 2-3 months of finding a good grain free food for him he started putting the weight on and is now at a healthy weight. what you don't want to do is to start just feeding her food to "fatten" her up. do some food research we have a topic section on that as well and get her on a GOOD food and feed her the recommended amounts and she will start to fill in. you said she had a litter, is she fixed now? female weight is between 40-50lbs i think for huskies.

Newborn
Newborn
Kimo

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for such a quick reply. I will look for the Weigh in topic.

Yes we do feed grain free to our cats so it was natural that we feed Willow the same good stuff. I will also look for the feeding topic as I was wondering how to go about getting her a little plumper.

Yes she is fixed now.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 pm

i just read your other post and saw TOTW listed as what you feed, thats what we feed. since you have only had her a few weeks give the food time to work, don't force more down her then is suggested, we do 1 cup in the morning and 1 at night. the weight will come on, just give her time, you don't want to end up with a "fat" husky, the weight is even harder to take off! from her picture i don't think she has that much more to put on.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 pm

A couple things. First, she's only a year old and if she's 35 lbs now, she's right on target. She might be slightly malnourished, but huskies generally look SUPER lanky and skinny when they're growing. Huskies grow until they are at least 2 years old, sometimes as long as 3 years old to fill out completely. The female standard is about 30-50 lbs for a full grown female. She should probably go through one more small growth spurt at 15-18 months and then fill out from then on. She actually seems pretty tall from her picture Smile

Hailey is 45 lbs and gets 1 cup a DAY of TOTW. So 1/2 cup AM, 1/2 cup PM. Anymore than that and she starts to put on weight. I would feed Willow no more than 3/4 cup- 1 full 2x a day to let her put on some pounds and then bring her down accordingly once she starts to level out.

You mention you can feel her ribs though. You SHOULD be able to feel them, not seem them and her hip bones shouldn't be protruding (which she looks borderline on, so I do think you're right, but feeling her ribs shouldn't be your indicator) Smile

A question about weight Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 am

I couldn't find the pics of our Mika, must be on the other computer. Maybe I put in an earlier post...anyway, when we adopted her, she was way too skinny....she was fixed the day before we picked her up. Now she is one of those "fat" huskies Jenn is talking about. Not sure for certain how much weight she put on, but she will steal the other's food if they walk away from it.

Our food isn't grain-free, but is a quality product, and doesn't upset their tummies like other foods can. It didn't take Mika long to put on they weight, so you do have to be cautious.
Back to top Go down
Kimo
Newborn
Newborn
Kimo

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 10:57 am

Lots of good info. Thank you. I did read the thread about what you are feeding your dogs. Going to have to tell hubby to cut back on the food. He is feeding her 3 cans a day. Her farts are nasty!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 10:58 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:55 pm

not to mention caned food is bad for the teeth as it causes build up on them as well since it tends to sick to the teeth.

PostSubject: Re: A question about weight   A question about weight Empty

Back to top Go down

A question about weight

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1